ASDOH Interview and ASDOH vs. USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSsc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a question about the ASDOH interview. What do they have you do for the manual dexterity portion?

Also, how many people are there for the group panel interview? And what is the group activity?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I got accepted to USC, but I want to go check out ASDOH because I hear it is a great school.

Would you rather go to USC or ASDOH?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I had a question about the ASDOH interview. What do they have you do for the manual dexterity portion?

Also, how many people are there for the group panel interview? And what is the group activity?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I got accepted to USC, but I want to go check out ASDOH because I hear it is a great school.

Would you rather go to USC or ASDOH?

I would go to ASDOH mainly for its mission, public health and community dentistry emphasis. That is the path I would like to pursuit after school. Go check it out and see if you like the school and the area. You will have no problem with the manual dexterity test if you can use both of your hands to pick up small objects.

USC is more well known because it's been around longer. I would go there for its university campus feel, sports teams, and things to do around the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
They use a Purdue Pegboard Test for the dexterity activity. Someone else can chime in on the matter, but it seems more of an icebreaker thing almost. I don't think they'll put you back on the plane early if you move too slowly. Just don't do something silly like spill them everywhere or show up missing your left arm or something. They might take note of that.

I do hear a lot of out-of-staters who visit comment that it's in the middle of nowhere. I guess. If you're not familiar with scenics around these parts, everything feels that way. It sort of sits out there in a quiet little field of its own. Definitely not in the middle of some hustling, bustling, city center.

DDSsc, here is how I see it, you can only go to one school, you are going to possibly pay 600.00 to LOOK at a school that you might not get accepted to. If someone asked me to pay 600.00 dollars to JUST LOOK at something that I MIGHT buy that would cost me over 200,000.00 dollars, I would just laugh. I dont see this as being much different of a look in my opinion when you already have your golden ticket. Man for me, I have been working to long and hard at the whole predental gig, to not jump on that acceptance and run with it. I went to AZ interview, my only one so far. I did like it, I would go there if picked, but again it goes back to my first statement. But Bro. if i were selected to go to USC... there is no more deciding anymore! so much to do, so see, options to have fun. what a good experience. AZ does not have much to do that I can see and from what friends say. It seemed mostly residential neighborhoods and such. Besides, if you could say that you graduated from USC when looking for a job, that would spark my interest much more as an employer than AZ. But that might be just me. There is a lot in a name to many people. Run with what you have brother and have fun, you deserve it!!!

Thanks for your input.

I just wanted to see what another dental school was like. I know it's a bit of money, but I think it would be a good experience.

At the end of the day, I am just going to run with USC.

Thanks for your input.

I just wanted to see what another dental school was like. I know it's a bit of money, but I think it would be a good experience.

At the end of the day, I am just going to run with USC.

That's truly a shame. When I was offered an interview at USC, I didn't even want to go because of USC's poor dental school reputation. But, I went anyway. I met someone at my interview that was TAing at the school because of the 115K debt per year and he's graduating 1 year later (total 5 years to graduate; and approximately half a million in debt by the time he's done). My interview experience at USC showed me why I would not go there. Talk to the upperclassmen and prior SDN blogs before you make your decision.

I'm a student at ASDOH now and love it. We have USC dental graduates that are residents at our school because they need more clinical skill.

Best of luck to you!

You'll definitely regret not going to the asdoh interview, you'll be super surprised about the school. It is one of the best clinically prepared schools in the nation.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, don't listen to Ill kids. He has only had one interview, ironically at ASDOH, so if you don't interview there, it's less competition for him.

The most important questions are where you want to live, clinical training, and cost. Asdoh is an awesome school, it has incredible facilities, is located ina great area, and has and continues to build a great reputation.

USC, while it has a name-brand, certainly has some downsides. Pbl is something I would be leery about, like mentioned, doesn't gave a great reputation fir producing well-trained dentists immediately out of school, and is either the most expensive or second most expensive school in the country (NYU).

You would have significantly less debt by graduating from ASDOH, be better trained when you finish school, and to me, Mesa is a way better place to live than LA. Cost and a nicer overall environment. Plus, contrary to what ill kids wants you to think, there is a ton to do in Phoenix. They have both the Cardinals and Suns, any outdoors activity you could want, year-round golf, etc etc. Phoenix is a great city fir a fraction of the cost of LA.

In the end, it is definitely with a couple hundred bucks to give yourself a chance to save tens of thousands down the road and have a better education. Good luck with your decision!

What is the interview like? Has anybody recently interviewed there? I read some reviews but they are a couple of years old and wonder if they changed anything at all. All the interviews I have gone so far (this will be my 8th) have been so relaxed and chill that the idea of a panal interview and dexterity test makes me a little nervous.