ASDOH question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Numbskull

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm just got done taking my DAT and was wondering if anybody here could give me some insight about getting into ASDOH. I live in Arizona, so I've been there a few times. I know volunteering is huge for them and was wondering what they considered good. I have about 2000hrs volunteer time and about 400 shadowing and I got a AA 21/TS 21/PAT 23. I'm only applying to ASDOH as I've been to many different schools and I think they fit me the best. I've decided that I don't really care if I get in the first time or the second but I would like to know my chances anyway. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow only applying to 1 school

If I were you I would add Midwestern too. The person that made ASDOH what it is has moved on over to MWU (dean simonsen). Ive talked to a lot of former and current ASDOH students and have heard that MWU is gonna be top notch once it gets going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mistake to apply only to ASDOH alone. Getting in post-interview is difficult and very erratic. You have a 1/7 chance at best. If you want in, they're big on community service and public health. Know what PH is, what its goals are, and what it can do for you and your practice in dentistry. For CS, know why you do it. They want dentist-leaders who'll affect change in the world around us. Walk in with a list of prepared BS to tell them. As far as the curriculm goes, they have group projects and group learning. They want to know if you're a discussion leader or discussion follower, how you work in teams, etc. I'm uncertain as to what persona you should pretend to be.

They'll try to stump you as much as they can. They had 5 canned interview questions they ask everyone plus questions the student interviewer ask. She can ask anything. Last year, they asked about whether you're a leader/listener within a group dynamic, how PH could help you in your practice, have you brag about your CS (not what you've done, but how CS matters to you. They want a person who'll continue to do service thru-out their life. Ex 1. CS plays a part of who you want to be. Ex 2 You're a strong Christian, and service to others is a fundamental principle in serving God.), an ethics question (if you saw a classmate open a web browser during a computerized exam, what do you do? do you tell him to stop then and there, or do you wait til after the exam. Apparently you're supposed to tell him right then right there, by school policy. I think.), and a couple more questions I don't remember at this time. Questions are likely to change year to year, but the PH, CS, and group dynamics are the highlight of that school. Spend lots of time about how that'd affect your learning. Be that person during the interview.

Last edited:
Community service is an important factor for ASDOH. With over 90% of dentists in private practice there is a large disparity when it comes to access to care and they want their graduates to be aware of these issues and to be compassionate toward under-served populations. If you try to go in there and "B.S." them as others suggested they'll see through it. Its a good school and I think you'll have good shot with that much community service. As for Midwestern I think it will be a good school; however they place more emphasis on grades than community service, and I feel that they're more concerned about making a name for themselves as a new school.