ASDOH vs UDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cup of joe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's one I haven't seen on SDN thread: ASDOH vs UDM
Have gotten acceptances to these schools, weighting the differences.

Can anyone give any input and reasoning for choosing between the two?
For cost: ASDOH first year estimate (with living) is about 112k, UDM is about 106k
Both are considered clinically strong schools
Both have faculties that are engaging with their students
ASDOH is young (14 years) and UDM is old (85 years)

What interest me about ASDOH: their 4th year externship
What interest me about UDM: traditional dental school with large patient pool

Any input would definitely help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know much about UDM but I can speak about ASDOH.

ASDOH is an expensive school, most private schools are. One thing to keep in mind is the cost of living in AZ is really cheap comparatively. Most people I know can find apartments for under $800 a month and some have houses for about $1200 per month. That really does make a difference over 4 years.

I don't know what UDM is like for clinical experience but ASDOH has a really good reputation. Most students don't have a problem keeping their schedules full in the clinic and like you said earlier, there's the 4th year externships.

There's a lot of other benefits to ASDOH. If you want some more specific info feel free to PM me.

There's always 4th year externships everywhere you go, just apply for them... I wouldn't pick one school over another just for that. Go to where you would be happy for 4 years.
Detroit or Mesa, Arizona.

Weather is important too.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's always 4th year externships everywhere you go, just apply for them... I wouldn't pick one school over another just for that. Go to where you would be happy for 4 years.
Detroit or Mesa, Arizona.

Weather is important too.

I thought what made ASDOH unique is that the externship is actually year round? and you see multiple patients a day?

I thought what made ASDOH unique is that the externship is actually year round? and you see multiple patients a day?

That's what I have always been hearing about ASDOH. I find it interesting that ASDOH accepts around 25% of CA residents, but I have yet to hear about ASDOH graduates practicing in CA o_O

I assumed that it was normal since my school also offers year-round externship electives and you are able to see multiple patients a day as well.

I assumed that it was normal since my school also offers year-round externship electives and you are able to see multiple patients a day as well.

From what I understood from ASDOH is that they have relationship with a variety of community clinics OOS. I assume that working in OOS community clinics externship is different from going on externship to practice in a private office/clinic.

Ive heard ASDOH students are getting a ton of great clinical experience in terms of #s of procedures completed by graduation, but Wow those yearly COA's are scary big numbers

Ive heard ASDOH students are getting a ton of great clinical experience in terms of #s of procedures completed by graduation, but Wow those yearly COA's are scary big numbers
Yep. and you are REQUIRED to purchase apple product and OS... all their materials and exams are through apple :(

From what I hear UDM is trying to model its program off of MWU-AZ. They keep sending administrators to our school and some of their students have asked about our program for feedback to give to their admin.

That said, ASDOH and MWU-AZ are pretty similar: both are private, similar cost of living, similar academic schedule, just across town, similar student body, lots of clinical exposure, etc.

ASDOH is better at getting out into the community and their students tend to be more involved outside of school. I go to a number of dental events in the area and ASDOH students usually outnumber MWU-AZ students, even though our class size is almost double theirs (140 vs 76). They are very involved in community service, politics, etc. Generally, ASDOH students strike me as very mature and looking for something bigger than themselves.

Also, ASDOH has clinical rotations during their last year. Some students really love it because it is an incredible opportunity to travel and practice dentistry as though you are a full dentist. But, I have heard students complain that not all rotations are created equal and some preceptors are not very good. Also, clinical rotations across the country are great if you are single, but if you have a family to think about then they can be problematic.

Now, a D3 at ASDOH last year told me that the bulk of their clinical training really comes from working outside of the school clinic where students see only a couple of patients each day. She said that they will see as many as 6-8 patients per day in their community clinics though.

Caveat emptor, I am writing this info out 2nd hand based on what I learned during my interview at ASDOH and my experience talking to ASDOH students. I think it is a great program, and they are putting out high quality dentists. It sounds to me like UDM is undergoing a academic big transition, and I don't know when they plan to finish or how long it will take to get the kinks worked out.

Last edited:
Thanks Cello! That's the kind of information I was looking for. I did not know that UDM was still going transition after expanding their class size.
I'm currently at the MWU-AZ Master's program, and I have not heard about their dental program until recently. Glad to hear that MWU-AZ has a strong reputation!

I thought you already withdrew your UDM acceptance and are deciding between WesternU vs ASDOH lol

Don't feel bad man. WesternU and ASDOH are both great schools. They both will both provide you with a great education and get you to where you want to be. You should be proud of of this. UDM wasn't meant to be. Only looking forward from here!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Cello! That's the kind of information I was looking for. I did not know that UDM was still going transition after expanding their class size.
I'm currently at the MWU-AZ Master's program, and I have not heard about their dental program until recently. Glad to hear that MWU-AZ has a strong reputation!

If you are in our Master's program and you don't know about our dental program then our school needs to do a better job of getting you guys in contact with the dental students!

PM me if you would like to chat more about our school and/or meetup sometime.