ASDOH vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentymenty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to be granted acceptances to both and have placed the initial deposits.

California resident
3.9 sGPA
3.3 oGPA
22aa
Leaning towards GP, but may want to pursue residency.

I really enjoyed ASDOH when I attended the interview. Rent and tuition is significant cheaper and the students seemed happier. However, not to sound stuck up, but I dislike that they accept so many students with "subpar" stats. I know that they stress community service and I love that, but I do wish they looked beyond the volunteering hours and more at stats.

I have nothing against USC except for the tuition... and maybe all the surrounding undergrads.

I'm leaning towards ASDOH however everyone that I mention this to in the Bay Area think that I'm making the wrong decision.
I'm torn and am planning on visiting both schools again before the second deposit is due in May.
If you could share your thoughts and opinions, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are many layers to consider:

Is there a school that would better help you specialize, if you choose to go that direction, while also preparing you well to be a GP, if you choose that path?

Cost difference between the schools is definitely something to think about. I don't know the exact numbers, but if USC is significantly more expensive, I would weigh that heavily in your decision.

Really ask yourself, "Where could I see myself for four years?" You mention that the students seemed happier at ASDOH--that's a great sign of the potential quality of life there. Definitely visit them both again and imagine attending those schools for four years.

I'll also say, as a fellow CA resident, my friends definitely know the name USC better than a lot of other schools. But that's just because they know the "name". They don't know anything pertaining to the dental school in particular and so I personally wouldn't take their opinions to heart too much. Ultimately, you need to go where you will be happiest and get the education you want.

Also, in regards to ASDOH and your comment about them accepting students with "subpar" stats: from what I understand, the school is passionate about community service and looks to accept students that will further dentistry in that area. Those students may have what you'd consider "subpar" stats because they invested so much time serving the community during undergrad. I wouldn't be critical of what statistics these students apply with when ultimately you'll all need to work hard/learn a ton over the next four years to be dentists.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think there are many layers to consider:

Is there a school that would better help you specialize, if you choose to go that direction, while also preparing you well to be a GP, if you choose that path?

Cost difference between the schools is definitely something to think about. I don't know the exact numbers, but if USC is significantly more expensive, I would weigh that heavily in your decision.

Really ask yourself, "Where could I see myself for four years?" You mention that the students seemed happier at ASDOH--that's a great sign of the potential quality of life there. Definitely visit them both again and imagine attending those schools for four years.

I'll also say, as a fellow CA resident, my friends definitely know the name USC better than a lot of other schools. But that's just because they know the "name". They don't know anything pertaining to the dental school in particular and so I personally wouldn't take their opinions to heart too much. Ultimately, you need to go where you will be happiest and get the education you want.

Also, in regards to ASDOH and your comment about them accepting students with "subpar" stats: from what I understand, the school is passionate about community service and looks to accept students that will further dentistry in that area. Those students may have what you'd consider "subpar" stats because they invested so much time serving the community during undergrad. I wouldn't be critical of what statistics these students apply with when ultimately you'll all need to work hard/learn a ton over the next four years to be denists.

Good luck with your decision!
Thank you so much for your response. I used "subpar" in quotations because by all other standards outside of SDN they are very, very good. I by no means look down on anyone that goes to ASDOH or is planning on attending (as I may very well be one of them).
Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad :)
My cousin went to ASDOH and he loved it so much! the school is really nice and all the students work well together! I think you can't go wrong with ASDOH. You will have a great experience. Also, you can literally rent out your apartment thats really nice for super cheap! The modular system as ASDOH will also give you a chance to focus on you each subject better, as well as network with dentists from around the nation.
good luck with your decision and congratulations on the acceptances!

Reactions: 1 user
My cousin went to ASDOH and he loved it so much! the school is really nice and all the students work well together! I think you can't go wrong with ASDOH. You will have a great experience. Also, you can literally rent out your apartment thats really nice for super cheap! The modular system as ASDOH will also give you a chance to focus on you each subject better, as well as network with dentists from around the nation.
good luck with your decision and congratulations on the acceptances!
Thanks! You are absolutely correct about the rent. I am very happy to hear about your cousin's positive experience.
Another thing I really about ASDOH is the dual MPH/DMD.

Reactions: 1 user
ASDOH is a phenomenal school!

I wish they invited me to interview, good job getting in! you must have been very involved with your community

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users