Asian Americans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predent0607

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it alarming that dental school classes are 45-50% Asian? UPenn for instance is 52% Asian and only 37% European. Thoughts on this? Do Asians make better dentists?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it alarming that dental school classes are 45-50% Asian? UPenn for instance is 52% Asian and only 37% European. Thoughts on this? Do Asians make better dentists?

No, whites/jews make the best dentists. Because that's what I am. DUH!

Go away, TROLL!

No, whites/jews make the best dentists. Because that's what I am. DUH!

Go away, TROLL!
:thumbup: agreed.
dentistry requires good eyesight..and let's face it. our small eyes don't help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it not seem extremely unfair that a group whose numbers total 4.5% of the U.S. population occupy 50% of seats in dental school? This practice is at the expense Europeans, Jewish, African American, Hispanics, every other applicant to dental school. Perhaps giving concession and allowing say....20 to be Asain students. But 50% is unreasonable in my opinion.

Does it not seem extremely unfair that a group whose numbers total 4.5% of the U.S. population occupy 50% of seats in dental school? This practice is at the expense Europeans, Jewish, African American, Hispanics, every other applicant to dental school. Perhaps giving concession and allowing say....20 to be Asain students. But 50% is unreasonable in my opinion.

meh, not really. This is America and whoever works the hardest should get the jobs/positions they want. That really is what America is founded upon. I don't think Asians should have it any harder, much like URM's should have it any easier. Although this is not the case in either situation. :thumbup:

Just shut up. I'm tired of these threads :thumbdown:

It's "unfair?"
So would it be more "fair" to you if everyone got accepted into a dental school regardless of grades/EC/test scores?

You, sir, are an idiot! Why don't you go study more and do well in your classes? That is what will get you into dental school, and not you being of a certain skin color.

Well do Asians make better dentists? This can't be solely about numbers, people of European descent produce amazing off the charts numbers. Plus, we're talking about the DAT, the exam isn't the best metric for intelligence. Why do schools give 50% of thier seats to Asians? I'm confused, this is really alarming to me.

No, my grades and scores are fine. I'm only making the observation that Asians occupy 40-50% of seats in dental schools. It seems really unfair.

Well its also unfair that Hispanics/African-American make up less than 10% of enrolling dental classes but it is what it is. I agree with what has been stated earlier; doing well in your coursework and on your DAT as well as having a genuine passion for the career field should land YOU a spot at a dental school. Don't occupy your time worrying about others getting because it'll only detract from YOU actually getting accepted into dental school. Besides, Dec 1st is around the corner and Thanksgiving is tomorrow so shouldn't you have other, more positive, thoughts on your mind?? :)

No, my grades and scores are fine. I'm only making the observation that Asians occupy 40-50% of seats in dental schools. It seems really unfair.

Members don't see this ad :)
I pray that fools like this don't get into dental school.

It also isn't fair that people of European descent (such as you and I) get preferential treatment in other types of workforces. Look at Hollywood or even the business world...notice a trend of the people running many top companies? Nobody is being picked on here. You'll be fine.

Maybe their culture values a profession like dentistry so alot of them are going for it; therefore, making less of an impact in other fields while making a large impact on dentistry.
I think, in general, anywhere you find large financial gain you will find alot of asians. During my time in the eastern countries I was shocked to the level they have elevated "bing" in their culture. A western influence I'm sure - but to the n'th degree.

Last edited:
Hmm... this post reaks of Troll! =)

Don't waste your time on this! Move along everyone!

Last edited:
I think newbie might be onto something. I didn't really notice the Asian thingy-majig. I did notice this alarming trend: dental schools accept a majority of people who want to become dentists. Barely anybody else. In it's golden age, dentistry was composed of real men, like barbers. Speaking on behalf of barbers, as I too am a barber (I cut my own hair, magnificently, because I'm too poor to go to other barbers), I am scared for my people. Dental schools should be more open to accepting other peoples besides peoples who want to become dentists. What if a barber wants to go to dental school to learn and perfect their hand skills and be courteous to their patrons by diagnosing oral and neck cancers. What are they to do? I know some might say, well, these guys who want to be dentists work hard and whatever, so it's their right to getting preferential treatment into dental school over people who want to become ultra-ultra-professional barbers. I'm just saying, look at the numbers. Numbers don't lie. America, be scared. Dental schools are being overrun by people aspiring to be dentists.

:(:(:confused::confused::thumbdown:thumbdown:smuggrin::smuggrin:;);)

In general, admissions committees admit the most competitive students. I'm more concerned with the competency of students coming out of dental school than what race they are. Does this mean that Asians will be better dentists, who knows, but if they got into dental school, it means they made a strong application.

/thread

Well do Asians make better dentists? This can't be solely about numbers, people of European descent produce amazing off the charts numbers. Plus, we're talking about the DAT, the exam isn't the best metric for intelligence. Why do schools give 50% of thier seats to Asians? I'm confused, this is really alarming to me.

You posts give off a very ignorant and selfish vibe. I think you're a troll. If you truly want to know why Asians are overrepresented in scientific fields, pick up a history book.

If you were truly concerned why the racial demographics in D-school do not match up with those of the general population, I think you would care more about why blacks and Latinos are underrepresented. Instead you present us with this false dichotomy between whites and Asians.

It wouldn't bother me if the statistics were 99% asian or even 99% caucasian (mind you that it would never happen)... as long as those that are accepted are "very" competitive applicants relative to the pool.

... superior GPA, excellent DAT scores, tons of exposure to the dental profession, excellent LORs, etc... these should be the key to admission. As long as schools are taking the best of the best, I could care less about what race or what percentage of a particular race is getting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.