Asian Indians URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Engg to Doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if Asian Indians are considered an URM....
Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

No, they are ORM.

indians are a majority in the medical field. they dominate all sectors of medicine (and pre-med).:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! ORM? That was good!

LMAO!!! This is a joke right? I feel bad for all the Asians out there. I know quite a few that have zero acceptances despite having 3.7's and 30's along with good EC's. Just too many qualified Asian applicants and not enough spots. Sucks to be you. Screw diversity, throw away the quotas, leave ethnicity out of it, level the playing field, make admissions a meritocracy, and see what happens. ;) J/K! Don't flame me! :laugh: Shout out to imtiaz! :p

indiaan URM??!!!

lol!!! that's good one

right on papasmurf. make it merit-based instead of AA/diversity/whateva they wanna call it.

Indian URM.....................GOOD LUCK.

Thats a good one thanks for the laughs.............from what I hear 10% of allllllll doctors in the United States are asian indian.........URM..................lol thats a good one..........thanks

Originally posted by chak_de_phatee
Thats a good one thanks for the laughs.............from what I hear 10% of allllllll doctors in the United States are asian india.........URM..................lol thats a good one..........thanks

I WISH we could claim URM, but aint' gonna happen! One reason why there's so many indian doctors in the US is b/c so many foreign graduates come here and do their residency and start practicing. If they weren't in the picture, indians probably wouldn't be such a majority in medicine. When I'm studying for mcat at Kaplan, I see that more than half of their USMLE class is indian!

Papa Smurf,

I'm an American of Asian ancestry, and I don't plan on answering an question on my application with reguard to race/ethnicity. (It simply isn't anybody's business what ethnicity one is). I also think that affirmative action should be done away with COMPLETELY.

Originally posted by angelic02
Papa Smurf,

I'm an American of Asian ancestry, and I don't plan on answering an question on my application with reguard to race/ethnicity. (It simply isn't anybody's business what ethnicity one is). I also think that affirmative action should be done away with COMPLETELY.
Uh, since you're a soon to be college freshman, your naivete about how this process works is pretty apparent. I believe the question about your ethnicity comes up time and time again during the application process. It's asked on the primary app, it's a required field on many secondary applications, and you also have to submit a photo with most secondary applications. If you can do all that, interview, and get accepted w/o anyone ever figuring out you're "Asian," then you da man! err woman! Much Props! It's not something you can really hide. As far as the AA debate is concerned, that's a whole different can of worms.

You know in CALI, a bunch of Oriental Asians sued the whole U of C system for discriminating against asians. they won the case, and they all got accepted to medical school. i've heard of numerous ( valid) stories of URM kids that have much lower ECs, scores, gpa,s recs, just get in based on their race/ethnicity. and you know what's its not fair.....but its the way it is unless people do something about it....oh well that's my 2 cents....peace

Originally posted by Papa Smurf
Uh, since you're a soon to be college freshman, your naivete about how this process works is pretty apparent. I believe the question about your ethnicity comes up time and time again during the application process. It's asked on the primary app, it's a required field on many secondary applications, and you also have to submit a photo with most secondary applications. If you can do all that, interview, and get accepted w/o anyone ever figuring out you're "Asian," then you da man! err woman! Much Props! It's not something you can really hide. As far as the AA debate is concerned, that's a whole different can of worms.

Dude, why you giving the game away so fast. Young grasshopper must learn ;) --Trek

Originally posted by anxiousmed
You know in CALI, a bunch of Oriental Asians sued the whole U of C system for discriminating against asians. they won the case, and they all got accepted to medical school. i've heard of numerous ( valid) stories of URM kids that have much lower ECs, scores, gpa,s recs, just get in based on their race/ethnicity. and you know what's its not fair.....but its the way it is unless people do something about it....oh well that's my 2 cents....peace

What is an Oriental Asian? I think the name Asian is good enough. No need to start any reference to rugs.

Being an Asian male, it is a little disconcerting that many of us are turned down for medical admissions for others who may seem "less" qualified based on numbers alone and tangible things like that. In a sense, it is a sort of reverse discrinimation policy. However, at the same time, we must also understand the need for doctors of all ethnicities and backgrounds. These doctors can serve their communities in the future.

In a profession like medicine, where trust and communication are paramount, people tend to trust doctors more when they speak their language or when they speak from the perspective of their specific value system. My grandmother sees Chinese doctors for the simple reason that she is able to communicate with them and understand her medical condition. Are these necessarily the best doctors? No... but they are more than competent to handle her illness. If my grandmother were Hispanic, I would certainly want her to be able to see a doctor who spoke fluent Spanish.

And we must also remember that the individuals with the highest MCAT scores and GPA's don't always make the best doctors. These numbers can simply stem from opportunity. It is simply unfair to assume that URM's cannot possibly be as good or better doctors than "ORM"'s with higher numbers entering medical school. Additionally, URM's may have life experiences and other individual qualities that may in fact be more critical in being a physician than some lousy MCAT score.

Yes it is unfair for Asians like me to have to get higher scores and things to gain admission. But before you go on a tirade against URM's, think about it. There's a reason why everyone deserves a chance to become a doctor in America.

clap clap drdodgerdog (funny name btw)

i know this forum is mostly for fun, and i don't expect too much life-changing wisdoms or whutnot. but that last post of urs kinda makes me rethink my views on AA and the URMs....i gues yeah u make a lot of good points.

ur first first post too huh? aiiite i hope not all ur posts r as eloquent and well-thought out as that one.