Asian still ORM for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kfcchikin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please let me know if I'm misinterpreting this - https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...licant-matriculant-profile-summary-report.pdf page 9

Mean GPA for white matriculants = 3.57c/3.48s (but 503 MCAT)
Mean GPA for asian matriculants = 3.51c/3.40s (but almost 505 MCAT)

What do I make of this when evaluating how competitive I am? Am I still "as ORM" for DO in terms of GPA?

Edit: Realized applicant GPAs are lower for them to begin with, maybe that's why

Members don't see this ad.

Please let me know if I'm misinterpreting this - https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...licant-matriculant-profile-summary-report.pdf page 9

What do I make of this when evaluating how competitive I am? Am I still "as ORM" for DO in terms of GPA?

Edit: Realized applicant GPAs are lower for them to begin with, maybe that's why
Pretty sure the ORM/URM designations don’t change between DO and MD. I would guess the difference is due to other factors besides race.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure the ORM/URM designations don’t change between DO and MD. I would guess the difference is due to other factors besides race.

Yeah, makes sense that the official designations are there, I guess I was just surprised to see the GPA difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought ORM and URM is referring about race.

Yes, still ORM. Some 40-50% of my students are East or South Asian.

Yes, still ORM. Some 40-50% of my students are East or South Asian.

I should've worded my question better. Ofc still over-represented in medicine, I didn't mean it as Asian DOs aren't objectively over-represented, but I mean do I base evaluating my GPA competitiveness on this relatively lower median?

I should've worded my question better. Ofc still over-represented in medicine, I didn't mean it as Asian DOs aren't objectively over-represented, but I mean do I base evaluating my GPA competitiveness on this relatively lower median?
At my DO school, you will not be viewed through any analytical prism for being ORM. It will neither add nor subtract from your app.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes you have to do better as asian to get into med school than URM in the do world too. Sucks huh

Yes you have to do better as asian to get into med school than URM in the do world too. Sucks huh

Not to get into this but I have no problem with the ORM/URM system and know that my privileges and cultural upbringing played a huge role in getting me to where I am.

I'm just a little confused why the average matriculant GPAs for ORM are lower than for white students only for DO schools / how this may impact my app or school list, if at all

Not to get into this but I have no problem with the ORM/URM system and know that my privileges and cultural upbringing played a huge role in getting me to where I am.

I'm just a little confused why the average matriculant GPAs for ORM are lower than for white students only for DO schools / how this may impact my app or school list, if at all
DO schools are more willing to cut people slack on their GPAs and MCATs. MD schools, less so...except in the lucky states for the home team.

We know that with a 3.3+ GPA, you can handle med school, even if you have to work harder at it.

Reactions: 3 users

Not all asians are rich not all minorities are poor that’s where the problem lies. Not sure on second part tho lol

Yes it is ORM

Status
Not open for further replies.