Asipp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

painfree23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
have any of u attended the asipp review courses? Interventional techniques course or regen medicine course? Any insight on if it’s worth it. ? I may do the interventional technique course, but have been doing procedures for a year now...just want to see how to troubleshoot things (like past fusions, etc) and see strategies to improve efficiency. Think its worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

I have attended both SIS and ASIPP basic and intermediate level courses and was disappointed with ASIPP intermediate course because I wanted to fine tune my RFA needle placement and it was too theoretical and basic. I’ve learned more from you guys.

That said, I always learn new things from those courses. One guy who uses steroid as part of his RFA actually injects it once the needle is in proper position but before creation of the RF lesion. I started doing this because it deletes a step after the burn because I inject depo while waiting for lidocaine block to take effect. I told someone else about this and he thought the heat from the RF would destroy or change the depo and advised against it. I haven’t looked up a definitive answer yet. Anyone know for sure?

I have attended both SIS and ASIPP basic and intermediate level courses and was disappointed with ASIPP intermediate course because I wanted to fine tune my RFA needle placement and it was too theoretical and basic. I’ve learned more from you guys.

That said, I always learn new things from those courses. One guy who uses steroid as part of his RFA actually injects it once the needle is in proper position but before creation of the RF lesion. I started doing this because it deletes a step after the burn because I inject depo while waiting for lidocaine block to take effect. I told someone else about this and he thought the heat from the RF would destroy or change the depo and advised against it. I haven’t looked up a definitive answer yet. Anyone know for sure?
I too would be interested to hear if there is any evidence that it negates the effect if injected before the burn as I too have started doing this to save an extra step and time

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, you have to wait about, i dont know .003 seconds for the local to take effect.

you can avoid this step completely by eliminating the steroid. just saying....

also, is ASIPP still even around? if you want to get some higher-level tricks, SIS is the place to go. much higher quality courses and instructors.

FYI, you have to wait about, i dont know .003 seconds for the local to take effect.

you can avoid this step completely by eliminating the steroid. just saying....

also, is ASIPP still even around? if you want to get some higher-level tricks, SIS is the place to go. much higher quality courses and instructors.

My patients always complain of pain from the RF heating up if I don't wait a full minute or sometimes longer after I inject the lidocaine 2% (1mL per a needle, burn is 80/80). Or are you being sarcastic?

My patients always complain of pain from the RF heating up if I don't wait a full minute or sometimes longer after I inject the lidocaine 2% (1mL per a needle, burn is 80/80). Or are you being sarcastic?

no. i just burn away after i put in the lido. it really doesnt take a minute, but to each his own

Never seen any difference in taking a minute or the 10-15 sec it takes to replace probe in needle

I have noticed more people complain of pain from the burn if I don't wait about 45-60 seconds as well. Hmm.

I asked a couple of months ago on the private forum if people thought the SIS courses were worthwhile for an experienced practitioner, and got sort of mixed reviews. I have not decided to do any. I too was interested in sort of tweaking my needle placement for RFA especially. Although I'm satisfied with my outcomes, I figure you can always learn more/make it better. I instead bought the latest editions of the SIS procedure book and the Furman atlas, and ask questions here.

Reactions: 1 users
I have noticed more people complain of pain from the burn if I don't wait about 45-60 seconds as well. Hmm.

I asked a couple of months ago on the private forum if people thought the SIS courses were worthwhile for an experienced practitioner, and got sort of mixed reviews. I have not decided to do any. I too was interested in sort of tweaking my needle placement for RFA especially. Although I'm satisfied with my outcomes, I figure you can always learn more/make it better. I instead bought the latest editions of the SIS procedure book and the Furman atlas, and ask questions here.

Has anyone had a good experience at asipp courses? Not asking for a step by step tutorial or even theoretical info, just ways to improve efficiency etc which may be not what asipp courses are meant for

min of 2 min post lido, if u want pt to return

Has anyone had a good experience at asipp courses? Not asking for a step by step tutorial or even theoretical info, just ways to improve efficiency etc which may be not what asipp courses are meant for

Never attended ASIPP courses. Attended several SIS courses 20+ years ago. Back then and perhaps now, they focused on technique to achieve optimal results. I once asked a SIS master instructor for any tips to improve efficiency and he responded “ I don’t take shortcuts because that will compromise your results “. There is a lot of truth to that. I recently observed a master instructor perform 30 cases ( including RFN and discography ) in 90 minutes. Other than his great skill and knowledge the key to that efficiency was rockstar X-ray techs, RNs who will finish the RFN and pull the needles, three simultaneous procedure rooms and multichannel RF generator. He really didn’t skip any steps or views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never attended ASIPP courses. Attended several SIS courses 20+ years ago. Back then and perhaps now, they focused on technique to achieve optimal results. I once asked a SIS master instructor for any tips to improve efficiency and he responded “ I don’t take shortcuts because that will compromise your results “. There is a lot of truth to that. I recently observed a master instructor perform 30 cases ( including RFN and discography ) in 90 minutes. Other than his great skill and knowledge the key to that efficiency was rockstar X-ray techs, RNs who will finish the RFN and pull the needles, three simultaneous procedure rooms and multichannel RF generator. He really didn’t skip any steps or views.

“observed a master instructor perform 30 cases ( including RFN and discography ) in 90 minutes” ....W A T lol

“observed a master instructor perform 30 cases ( including RFN and discography ) in 90 minutes” ....W A T lol

My mistake, 180 minutes ( 3 hours )

I should stop worrying about overutilization review of my practice

Also I am not making enough $$

Reactions: 1 users

I have no doubt the SIS courses are of very high quality. I wish you did not have to start with them all in a series... for those of us that want to learn a few tips/tricks for say, cervical RF, but don't want to start at the basic lumbar ESI course this is a problem.

just so we are clear, I believe the MASTER SIS instructor you visited is also an ASIPP course instructor as well.

I think the ASIPP courses do have some top notch faculty. unlike SIS, there is no set ASIPP approach to XYZ procedure. when you ask 3 pain docs how to do a lumbar TFESI, you will get 3-9 answers. I think the fluidity is a strength and a weakness. the courses are also less regimented and course participants are not always the most savvy of interventionalists which detracts from the individual education experience.

Good point. Yes, also an ASIPP instructor. A remarkably gifted interventionalist and scientist in a practice setting that he and his partners did an amazing job of organizing. A real WOW experience for me.

I agree that the SIS insistence on progressing through their courses is frustrating. However, there is nothing worse than an attendee asking questions befitting a first year resident and using up valuable time. I can recall more than one experience like that from a variety of other non-SIS (but not ASIPP) courses.

Last edited:
SIS comprehensive course tends to attract more experienced practitioners and the best SIS instructors. Value of course does vary with who is in your group.

SIS comprehensive course tends to attract more experienced practitioners and the best SIS instructors. Value of course does vary with who is in your group.

The fees are astronomical.

I don’t think I’ll go to another asipp course again after going to their yearly conference. Way too basic. The politicians who spoke for about 30 minutes were also a waste of time(first 2....skipped the 3rd)