Ask a DO application master anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YayPudding

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow premeds and soon to be OMS-1's,

It is I, the crazy applicant who applied to every (I think 39) osteopathic medical school offered by our friends at AACOMAS. I received 35 IIs, with only OSUCOM, Rowan, both KCOM campuses and and PCOM GA (I was already accepted to and decided to attend PCOM PA) outright rejecting me. I was interviewed at and accepted to PCOM PA, CCOM, MSUCOM, LMUDCOM, UNECOM, KCUMB, and WVSOM. I was rejected by LUCOM post interview, heh.

It would be my pleasure to field any and all questions regarding applications. I don't really have the time to edit PS or secondary essays, sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
What were your stats? ECs?

Reactions: 1 user
URM?

Did you pre write anything? How much, and how far in advance?

Did you express particular interest in any school (seminars, tours, connections, etc)?

How did you prepare for and feel about attended interviews? Did you apply MD? Why?

Are there any schools that had something different in their secondaries or interviews that stood out to you as something to address or be aware of while applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much was the total cost of everything?

What was your timeline? ( i.e. Did you verify in May and send primaries early, turnaround time on secondaries, start reviewing iis, acceptance).

What is your best secondary tip?

How many iis did you attend and why did you choose pcom over the rest?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It is I, the crazy applicant who applied to every (I think 39) osteopathic medical school offered by our friends at AACOMAS. I received 35 IIs, with only OSUCOM, Rowan, both KCOM campuses and and PCOM GA (I was already accepted to and decided to attend PCOM PA) outright rejecting me. I was interviewed at and accepted to PCOM PA, CCOM, MSUCOM, LMUDCOM, UNECOM, KCUMB, and WVSOM. I was rejected by LUCOM post interview, heh.

It would be my pleasure to field any and all questions regarding applications. I don't really have the time to edit PS or secondary essays, sorry.

Why did you apply to all 39?? o_O You must have had great stats, but it seems like with greater foresight, you could have narrowed down that list of schools and not wasted so much money.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol did you at least get fee waivers?

URM?

Did you pre write anything? How much, and how far in advance?

Did you express particular interest in any school (seminars, tours, connections, etc)?

How did you prepare for and feel about attended interviews? Did you apply MD? Why?

Are there any schools that had something different in their secondaries or interviews that stood out to you as something to address or be aware of while applying?
Not URM, no pre-writing. After each interview I sent a personalized thank you note (if advised we could do so!) I did have some connections at schools including alumni and research staff. Applied MD, only 1 interview received and waitlisted.

Your last questions is great - many schools express a regional preference, a mission or values that are sought. As an example, LUCOM is a fundamentalist Christian school, WVSOM and UNECOM seeks to recruit and keep folks from the region. Read schools values and mission statements while writing secondaries.

What was your timeline? ( i.e. Did you verify in May and send primaries early, turnaround time on secondaries, start reviewing iis, acceptance).

What is your best secondary tip?

How many iis did you attend and why did you choose pcom over the rest?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Submitted everything after I got my MCAT score back on 6/21, so kind of late. Verified in July. First IIs in August. For secondaries, answer the question - really! Also know what the school is looking for. PCOM has great history, a strong record of producing great physicians and is close to home. The interview sealed the deal over the others.

Why did you apply to so many schools?

How did you decide which interviews to fly out for?

And my most curious question--what month did you find out you got into your first school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you apply to so many schools?

How did you decide which interviews to fly out for?

And my most curious question--what month did you find out you got into your first school?
I had a compromised early academic career and really had know idea what my yield would be. I absolutely wanted to start at a good US medical school this year, which I achieved. Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing about my cycle.

I researched the schools and had personal input from some friends who had gone to some programs.

Found out I was accepted the LMU-DCOM in mid-September

I had a compromised early academic career and really had know idea what my yield would be. I absolutely wanted to start at a good US medical school this year, which I achieved. Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing about my cycle.

I researched the schools and had personal input from some friends who had gone to some programs.

Found out I was accepted the LMU-DCOM in mid-September
That's awesome! Congrats on PCOM, I'm sure you'll love it!!!

Any advice for people currently in the cycle?

That's awesome! Congrats on PCOM, I'm sure you'll love it!!!

Any advice for people currently in the cycle?
Thanks! Keep the faith, apply broadly and don't hesitate to let your accolades shine. Separate yourself from the group if able.

Do you think that a

DO you think that a heavily based Research Masters would be helpful to someone with a low gpa to apply to DO Schools? I have heard that DO Schools are okay with Masters program based on research and that the courses may actually factor into cGPA?

Do you think that a

DO you think that a heavily based Research Masters would be helpful to someone with a low gpa to apply to DO Schools? I have heard that DO Schools are okay with Masters program based on research and that the courses may actually factor into cGPA?

Depends on the school. From what I've been told, a Master's program does not help with your cGPA or sGPA in undergrad. In other words, they do not factor these graduate courses in the cGPA. I am currently in a Master's program right now, and the schools I applied to did not care about my GPA in graduate school. Obviously, I can't fail classes or do poorly. :p

Depends on the school. From what I've been told, a Master's program does not help with your cGPA or sGPA in undergrad. In other words, they do not factor these graduate courses in the cGPA. I am currently in a Master's program right now, and the schools I applied to did not care about my GPA in graduate school. Obviously, I can't fail classes or do poorly. :p

Oh okay, did you apply to DO Or MD Schools? Maybe that is because your undergrad gpa is not as low as mine. Because I just saw a post my Goro saying that DO Schools are okay with the research masters in this post: Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

I know for MD Schools, it would not matter for sure but for DO Schools I am just confused about that because there is conflicting information

Someone was doing a Non-SMP Biomedical science masters and finished with 3.7 gpa at 75 credits.
Their undergrad gpa was 2.5 science and 2.8c, and goro told them that DO Schools will be okay with this and that it could be averaged?

Do you think that a

I'm really not sure so I would advise you to contact your advisor or the schools directly. I actually did a post-bacc and it was viewed favorably. I think your situation would be also.

Congrats on the PCOM acceptance!

LizzyM 68, 510+MCAT (ID protection) Lots of research, shadowing, limited volunteering and some teaching assistant work.
Bruh...you did not have to apply to so many with those numbers.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh okay, did you apply to DO Or MD Schools? Maybe that is because your undergrad gpa is not as low as mine. Because I just saw a post my Goro saying that DO Schools are okay with the research masters in this post: Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

I know for MD Schools, it would not matter for sure but for DO Schools I am just confused about that because there is conflicting information

Someone was doing a Non-SMP Biomedical science masters and finished with 3.7 gpa at 75 credits.
Their undergrad gpa was 2.5 science and 2.8c, and goro told them that DO Schools will be okay with this and that it could be averaged?

From my personal experience, the DO schools I applied to (which was a handful) did NOT take into consideration my graduate school GPA. I applied to both MD and DO schools, and all the schools I applied to only looked at my undergraduate GPA. They did not seem interested in my graduate degree, nor my GPA (just as long as I was passing). I agree with the others though - depends on the school! :)

I have had several friends who did research Master's programs, but most of them were associated with a school (for instance, if the students did well, then they are more likely to be accepted by that school because of a special program they have) OR doing a post-bacc program (without a Master's). I also know several who just retook classes, but with no Master's program. Up to you really! :) Good luck!

That must have hurt! Once you got accepted to PCOM, did you stop going on interviews?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile
PCOM actually offered me a very early interview but I had to take a later one as I interviewed for the DO-PhD program. It was my last interview as offers began slowing down around November. I also interviewed for the one at MSUCOM and can provide info to anyone pursuing this research program.

Why did you attend so many interviews? You should've just stopped after accepted to MSU:cool:

Woot, PCOM!

Reactions: 2 users

@YayPudding In the section of AACOMAS where you have to designate prerequisites for each school, did you just tag the bare minimum (1 yr of bio classes, 1 yr of chem classes, etc.) or did you tag every single class you thought fit each category? Did a postbac where I took many upper div bio classes. I'm afraid that whoever screens the primary app will only see how I did in undergrad haha.

@YayPudding In the section of AACOMAS where you have to designate prerequisites for each school, did you just tag the bare minimum (1 yr of bio classes, 1 yr of chem classes, etc.) or did you tag every single class you thought fit each category? Did a postbac where I took many upper div bio classes. I'm afraid that whoever screens the primary app will only see how I did in undergrad haha.
Good question! I threw everything at it figuring they could decide for themselves. Never had an issue and it may have highlighted my upper electives.

Good question! I threw everything at it figuring they could decide for themselves. Never had an issue and it may have highlighted my upper electives.
any shot you could share some insight on the DO/PhD process as far as stats they look for and anything different from the just DO process

any shot you could share some insight on the DO/PhD process as far as stats they look for and anything different from the just DO process
Biggest thing - years of research experience. I think that is essential above and beyond GPA/MCAT. Stats sufficient to get into medical school and a demonstration of long term commitment to research are prerequisite. It's many years of training to take on. You should plan on a primarily research oriented career.

Biggest thing - years of research experience. I think that is essential above and beyond GPA/MCAT. Stats sufficient to get into medical school and a demonstration of long term commitment to research are prerequisite.
makes sense if you wouldnt mind sharing, what schools did you interview at for DO/PhD and did you choose that track?

makes sense if you wouldnt mind sharing, what schools did you interview at for DO/PhD and did you choose that track?
I interviewed for DO/PhD at MSUCOM and PCOM. Turned them down before final decisions and graduate school interviews were held. Decided against it - just wouldn't work for me

Are you the second coming of our lord and savior A.T Still?

Reactions: 4 users
Are you the second coming of our lord and savior A.T Still?
I say unto thee, be free of all somatic dysfunction and thou shall be healed.

*cracks body part lovingly*

Reactions: 4 users
Just wanted to say Congrats OP! Awesome stuff!

See you in the Hospital hallways someday soon!

3.2 gpa, 490 mcat, super strong ECs, would any DO program look at my application?

Do you think applying this late in the cycle is worth it? 3.4 gpa, 508 mcat, lots of research experience, with decent LORs.

Rejected by LUCOM but accepted to way better schools? That's crazy indeed.

When you say "limited volunteering", how much do you mean exactly?

Is there a risk to applying to every school even ones that you wouldn't really want to go to if accepted? I ask because turning down your only acceptance (if it occurred) would have made it very hard to reapply.

3.2 gpa, 490 mcat, super strong ECs, would any DO program look at my application?

AACOM list the average matriculant GPA and MCAT as 3.56 and 506 on average. It may be a good idea to try and boost that MCAT to at least a 500 to be competitive.

510+ MCAT and rejected by Liberty... There's a story there, and I wanna' hear it! :lol:

Is there a risk to applying to every school even ones that you wouldn't really want to go to if accepted? I ask because turning down your only acceptance (if it occurred) would have made it very hard to reapply.
Do not apply to schools you know you would not attend. Waste of money time and effort. Some people have said turning down a DO acceptance partially blacklists you from future DO acceptances in future cycles. While I don’t think this is likely given how much inter-program communication it would require, no sense in risking it.

Do you think applying this late in the cycle is worth it? 3.4 gpa, 508 mcat, lots of research experience, with decent LORs.
If you have the resources, go for it. Be aware that it is relatively late in the cycle so don't get frustrated by lack of IIs

The bulk of my volunteering was in high school. I did some thereafter, but not much. I applied with a shotgun approach because I wasn't sure of what my yield would be. If I was only accepted to a school I didn't like, I would attend that school.

Edit: LUCOM would have been rough