Ask a Maryland D4 anything!

Started by CMistry
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone has their own study techniques and habits for these classes. How did you study for them? Any learning methods that you or friends found most helpful?

Also, would you mind shedding some light on what your first year class/study schedule was like?

Thanks!

I studied by often skipping classes and reviewing the provided ppts all day. I would listen to the lecture and see if there was anything that I felt was notable to add. Other people transcribed the lectures and read only the transcriptions. I did better the more times I would review the ppt (so I'd try to get in 3).

First year schedule was very different for everyone. Once I was in the groove I'd be awake by 8am, class at 9am, skip all classes I could to study independently all day, lunch at school, continue studying, a nice long dinner break (lots of time 2 hrs), and then lazy useless studying for an hour or two after dinner (that I probably could've done without). That leaves you plenty of time after dinner do whatever other hobbies you like.

Where do u suggest we live that's within the walking distance? Thanks!

Fayette Square, The Redwood, Avalon Centerpoint, The Zenith. These are all the popular ones where the majority of your class will end up, and I feel confident recommending any of them. Less popular ones include Inner Harbor Lofts, Marlboro Classic/Redwood Square, The Abell, and several of the row homes across MLK.

CMistry,

I remember you said you were accepted in March. Were you placed on the wait list first then accepted, or just accepted? Thanks.

I think I was straight accepted, not on the wait list (by time), but that is all conjecture since I really have no idea.
 
what brand of dental material used in american dental schools?

Dude I have no idea. There are about a thousand brands used by dental schools.

What is the first semester schedule like? ( classes,days/ times in class etc).
Thanks!

You are busy from 9-5, some days that becomes 8-5. It is mostly didactic classes (of which most are basic sciences), with some preclinical labs and anatomy lab tossed in 3-4 sessions a week towards the end of the semester I think.
 
Thank you so much for doing this!

Fulfilling Requirements:
-Are there issues with students not being able to finish perio/endo/etc requirements? Certain schools have ridiculous expectations of _____# of crowns and endos done and such, but the clinic hours and chair availabilities are limited so people struggle and have to extend and even worse, come in conflict with the beginning of their respective residency programs that start in the summer. This is something I sort of worry about.

Looking for board patient:
-Does Maryland have this issue? Certain schools have issues providing students with enough screenings to find board patients. I already went through this as a hygienist and I don't want to go through that kind of excruciating anxiety again. I found my NERB pt only 2 weeks prior to the board date and it was my last chance appointment to screen and I had already given up hope, having put down $1300 bucks already It's honestly worse than taking the boards itself.

Board preparation:
Are students given enough time to prepare for NERB pt I? Some schools offer an entire month in the summer for students to prepare. How does Maryland do?

Chair availability:
-Is this an issue at Maryland?

Percentage of students who specialize:
-It seems that certain schools have extraordinarily high percentages of specializing post-grads vs other schools. e.g. Columbia and Penn seem to spit out a lot of specialists. Where is Maryland as far as specialty goes? Does the name of the school contribute in any way shape or form

Future specialty determination:
-So boards will soon (already?) be pass/fail... Besides class ranking, how else will applicants who want to specialize be gauged besides just research/ECs/LOR? Would it be easier to attend a more laid back school and be a big fish there or attend a tougher school with a more prominent name which seem to have a much much higher % of specialists?


*I apologize in advance if anything I said come off as being biased in any way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much for doing this!

Fulfilling Requirements:
-Are there issues with students not being able to finish perio/endo/etc requirements? Certain schools have ridiculous expectations of _____# of crowns and endos done and such, but the clinic hours and chair availabilities are limited so people struggle and have to extend and even worse, come in conflict with the beginning of their respective residency programs that start in the summer. This is something I sort of worry about.

Yes there are always students who do not finish on time. Requirements are not unreasonable but do require effort. Some people do not put that effort in until it's a little late. Many people stay late finishing requirements (we are supposed to be done by the end of April, which is really early), but extremely few have conflicts with their residency regarding this (I can think of 1).

Looking for board patient:
-Does Maryland have this issue? Certain schools have issues providing students with enough screenings to find board patients. I already went through this as a hygienist and I don't want to go through that kind of excruciating anxiety again. I found my NERB pt only 2 weeks prior to the board date and it was my last chance appointment to screen and I had already given up hope, having put down $1300 bucks already It's honestly worse than taking the boards itself.

Our school let's us screen whoever we want for a nominal charge, and the regular screening department is turned upside down working for us come boards time. Everyone in the school is on the lookout for lesions, so don't worry about that. Many people still find their patients 2 weeks before boards (some much less time than that) and it is extremely stressful but in the end I can't think of anybody who fails due to a lack of patients. It is much more likely that you goof-up on a procedure.


Board preparation:
Are students given enough time to prepare for NERB pt I? Some schools offer an entire month in the summer for students to prepare. How does Maryland do?

I think you mean NBDE part I? You are given all of freshman summer off to study, so you can take 3 months if you want.


Chair availability:
-Is this an issue at Maryland?

Yes. It's not actually a chair issue, it's a faculty issue; but it is what you're asking.

Percentage of students who specialize:
-It seems that certain schools have extraordinarily high percentages of specializing post-grads vs other schools. e.g. Columbia and Penn seem to spit out a lot of specialists. Where is Maryland as far as specialty goes? Does the name of the school contribute in any way shape or form

Maryland does not have an extremely high specialization rate. The majority of the students here know they want to be GP from the start and consequently that is how it ends up. Around 10% specialize every year, and another 10% normally go on to specialize a few years after graduation. We have a good name and I certainly do not think it will hurt you if you want to specialize. I personally can say it did not hold me back (interviewing with OMS).

Future specialty determination:
-So boards will soon (already?) be pass/fail... Besides class ranking, how else will applicants who want to specialize be gauged besides just research/ECs/LOR? Would it be easier to attend a more laid back school and be a big fish there or attend a tougher school with a more prominent name which seem to have a much much higher % of specialists?

I am nobody to answer this question and honestly do not know.

Hope this helps!
 
Yea, I have a bs and PhD in biochem. Not bragging because the science curriculum of ds is much more intense than grad school. umbc was tough in undergrad. Good to know I should be prepared a bit. Thanks!
 
CMistry,

Are undergrad students allowed to hang out and assist the graduate residents at Maryland? For example, if I wanted to go up to the pros or perio department and help assist in surgery or lab are they open to that?
 
Yea, I have a bs and PhD in biochem. Not bragging because the science curriculum of ds is much more intense than grad school. umbc was tough in undergrad. Good to know I should be prepared a bit. Thanks!

There is not a single pre clinical course in ds that comes to the level of those at the graduate (PhD) level. Incidentally, it is not uncommon for pre clinical courses (basic science) to be taught by faculty with Ph.D.s rather than a DDS or DMD degrees.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is not a single pre clinical course in ds that comes to the level of those at the graduate (PhD) level. Incidentally, it is not uncommon for pre clinical courses (basic science) to be taught by faculty with Ph.D.s rather than a DDS or DMD degrees.
Good to know. Thanks Doc.
 
What would your recommendations for a dental student looking to specialize in OMFS? Besides getting killer grades, what helped you?
 
Though this is a duplicate question which I posted as a separate thread, I would need your answer as well.

Does having first author publications in basic science not directly but somewhat related to dental science such as neuroscience and physiology hepful toward matching into a competitive speciality? I hear that in medicine, ROAD specialties require not just high step scores but also these publications. I wonder whether it's same in dentistry.
 
I'm looking to rent a row house with some roommates. Any recommendations for places that are good to rent? Ridgely's Delight seems recommended as does Federal Hill.