Ask a radiology resident whatever

Started by bjb305
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Most people live in safe suburbs, not the inner city.
Just over 50% of people live in suburbs. It's "most" people, but not by much, and the suburbs are rapidly becoming the slums of America as cities become more unaffordable and educated youths flock to (and rapidly gentrify) any city worth living in.

Go rural or go city- the suburbs are destined for a rather grim future.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/08/01/suburban_poverty_it_s_becoming_more_concentrated.html
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just over 50% of people live in suburbs. It's "most" people, but not by much, and the suburbs are rapidly becoming the slums of America as cities become more unaffordable and educated youths flock to (and rapidly gentrify) any city worth living in.

Go rural or go city- the suburbs are destined for a rather grim future.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/08/01/suburban_poverty_it_s_becoming_more_concentrated.html
Most of us don't actually live in cities (esp. inner cities) bc we're disgusted by them. Suburbia is a protection from all that.
 
But there is no noise in quiet suburbia.
blankstare.gif

By "noise" I mean all the problems that come along with suburban living, not just actual "noise".

HOAs, nosy neighbors, not enough space, chain stores, the ever-present sound of highways in the distance, light pollution that drowns out the stars, paying for school systems you'll never be sending kids to anyway, strip malls, overly aggressive police forces that treat things like noise at midnight or skateboarding on main street (dead serious, skateboarding is a crime in the town I'm in right now) etc as crimes worth pursuing to the fullest extent of the law, etc. I hate everything about the suburbs, they are where freedom goes to die.

In the cities, there's so much going on you can pretty much live however you want and no one gives a damn, while in the sticks there's no one around to care. The suburbs though- too many people worrying about property values and schools, noise and neighbors. There's too much money to be made for chain stores to not push smaller businesses out, so every suburb's got the same options as 90% of the other ones in a given state- same restaurants, grocery stores, clothiers, and the like. The houses in a given subdivision generally look like depressing, lifeless clones of one another, devoid of quirks and personality. Suburbs just feel so plastic, so artificial. Cities are grimy but alive, rural towns quaint but full of soul. The 'burbs are just safe, boring, predictable, and uninspired places where you can pretend you're living while you wait to die.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
 
Just over 50% of people live in suburbs. It's "most" people, but not by much, and the suburbs are rapidly becoming the slums of America as cities become more unaffordable and educated youths flock to (and rapidly gentrify) any city worth living in.

Go rural or go city- the suburbs are destined for a rather grim future.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/08/01/suburban_poverty_it_s_becoming_more_concentrated.html

Wait are we thinking about the same suburbs? I was thinking of miles and miles of houses that look more or less similar, large front lawns, clean streets, and tacky neighbors. Kind of like this:

6190963775_15fe31f144_b.jpg



Darn, I wanted to move to the surburbs after living in the city for so long. 🙁
 
blankstare.gif

By "noise" I mean all the problems that come along with suburban living, not just actual "noise".

HOAs, nosy neighbors, not enough space, chain stores, the ever-present sound of highways in the distance, light pollution that drowns out the stars, paying for school systems you'll never be sending kids to anyway, strip malls, overly aggressive police forces that treat things like noise at midnight or skateboarding on main street (dead serious, skateboarding is a crime in the town I'm in right now) etc as crimes worth pursuing to the fullest extent of the law, etc. I hate everything about the suburbs, they are where freedom goes to die.

In the cities, there's so much going on you can pretty much live however you want and no one gives a damn, while in the sticks there's no one around to care. The suburbs though- too many people worrying about property values and schools, noise and neighbors. There's too much money to be made for chain stores to not push smaller businesses out, so every suburb's got the same options as 90% of the other ones in a given state- same restaurants, grocery stores, clothiers, and the like. The houses in a given subdivision generally look like depressing, lifeless clones of one another, devoid of quirks and personality. Suburbs just feel so plastic, so artificial. Cities are grimy but alive, rural towns quaint but full of soul. The 'burbs are just safe, boring, predictable, and uninspired places where you can pretend you're living while you wait to die.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
What you're describing more accurately describes inner cities and the city itself, quite different from suburbia. Although yes in suburbia, many of the houses do look like clones of eachother (you can't just paint your house purple bc you want to) and yes we do have many of the same stores that are quite popular (you likely won't be finding a ma-and-pa convenience store, bc they can't effectively compete). Yet suburbs are safe, predictable, a great place to raise children, etc. I'll take that over the danger and violence of the inner city.
 
Wait are we thinking about the same suburbs? I was thinking of miles and miles of houses that look more or less similar, large front lawns, clean streets, and tacky neighbors. Kind of like this:

6190963775_15fe31f144_b.jpg



Darn, I wanted to move to the surburbs after living in the city for so long. 🙁
Houses may be similar in architecture but not THAT similar.
 
What you're describing more accurately describes inner cities and the city itself, quite different from suburbia. Although yes in suburbia, many of the houses do look like clones of eachother (you can't just paint your house purple bc you want to) and yes we do have many of the same stores that are quite popular (you likely won't be finding a ma-and-pa convenience store, bc they can't effectively compete). Yet suburbs are safe, predictable, a great place to raise children, etc. I'll take that over the danger and violence of the inner city.

YES THIS. I really would want to live in a place like this! Your picture is so much better than mine. The trees actually look green and there's actually sun.
 
YES THIS. I really would want to live in a place like this! Your picture is so much better than mine. The trees actually look green and there's actually sun.
Hence why I was shocked why he found suburbia so bad. What he described seemed to be more a very poor city or an inner city.
 
What you're describing more accurately describes inner cities and the city itself, quite different from suburbia. Although yes in suburbia, many of the houses do look like clones of eachother (you can't just paint your house purple bc you want to) and yes we do have many of the same stores that are quite popular (you likely won't be finding a ma-and-pa convenience store, bc they can't effectively compete). Yet suburbs are safe, predictable, a great place to raise children, etc. I'll take that over the danger and violence of the inner city.
Small towns beat suburbs any day of the week if you want a safe, quiet place to raise kids. There's plenty of safe cities out there as well, and even the dangerous ones are usually alright so long as you live in a nice neighborhood.

I'd rather die than be bored, and suburbs just feel like places primed for endless boredom.
 
Small towns beat suburbs any day of the week if you want a safe, quiet place to raise kids. There's plenty of safe cities out there as well, and even the dangerous ones are usually alright so long as you live in a nice neighborhood.

I'd rather die than be bored, and suburbs just feel like places primed for endless boredom.
Well if you want excitement, you are free to drive into Compton anytime. Suburbs tend to have better school districts as the property taxes are higher. Housing prices are greatly influenced by the quality of public schools which are good enough to where (shock!) parents are actually satisfied with sending their children to them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well if you want excitement, you are free to drive into Compton anytime. Suburbs tend to have better school districts as the property taxes are higher. Housing prices are greatly influenced by the quality of public schools which are good enough to where (shock!) parents are actually satisfied with sending their children to them.
Not every city is Compton lol. There's plenty to do in a place like SF, Austin, or Seattle that isn't available in the suburbs, and these cities certainly aren't slums. And in small towns, you've got the outdoors all around you. Suburbs lack both the cosmopolitan nature of the city and the open spaces of rural living. Basically, they suck.

I guess it's easy for me to hate on suburbs because I don't ever plan on having children and there's really no reason to live in one if you don't have any.
 
Not every city is Compton lol. There's plenty to do in a place like SF, Austin, or Seattle that isn't available in the suburbs, and these cities certainly aren't slums. And in small towns, you've got the outdoors all around you. Suburbs lack both the cosmopolitan nature of the city and the open spaces of rural living. Basically, they suck.

I guess it's easy for me to hate on suburbs because I don't ever plan on having children and there's really no reason to live in one if you don't have any.
Seattle, SF, Austin have suburbs as well. Not everyone lives in the actual city proper itself. Suburbs can definitely have open spaces but definitely not like a rural area (I tend to like having paved roads, etc.). Yes, I guess if you don't ever plan on having children, a suburb is relatively useless for your needs.
 
Not every city is Compton lol. There's plenty to do in a place like SF, Austin, or Seattle that isn't available in the suburbs, and these cities certainly aren't slums. And in small towns, you've got the outdoors all around you. Suburbs lack both the cosmopolitan nature of the city and the open spaces of rural living. Basically, they suck.

I guess it's easy for me to hate on suburbs because I don't ever plan on having children and there's really no reason to live in one if you don't have any.

As someone who lives in actual SF, we also have suburbs. It's a quick 15-20 minute drive to the inner city, which in my opinion, isn't all that great, but maybe it's because I've lived here for so long.
 
As someone who lives in actual SF, we also have suburbs. It's a quick 15-20 minute drive to the inner city, which in my opinion, isn't all that great, but maybe it's because I've lived here for so long.
The grass is always greener etc etc.

It's greenest far away from people though, that I can assure you
 
Maybe you guys should start a thread in the social section to discuss the suburbs.

Does doing an IR fellowship enhance your job prospects, or is it considered more of a separate field?

What's your favorite finding to make on images?
 
Maybe you guys should start a thread in the social section to discuss the suburbs.

Does doing an IR fellowship enhance your job prospects, or is it considered more of a separate field?

What's your favorite finding to make on images?

As far as job prospects, it all depends on what's open in the area you wanna practice.. some places might need an IR guy, some might need a neuro guy that's ok with a few IR procedures.. all depends.
favorite finding -- hmm don't really know.. i do enjoy when other physicians call to find out results about their patient and i am the one that gets to tell them what's going on.. especially when it's good news. like this month i was on nucs, felt pretty good when an oncologist called about their patient's PET scan and i get to tell them there's no recurrent tumor
 
Hi @bjb305 thanks for doing this. I'm an M2 right now and shadowed in the radiology dept. for the first time and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Didn't know much of what was going on in ultra sound but it was still great to see the work! Anyways... I also got a chance to see an US guided paracentesis.

My question is how many procedures do you do as a resident? How many procedures does a practicing radiologist (not in IR) do on a weekly basis or so? I really like DR and would want that as a career but I also would like to do the "basic" procedures like that. I'm reading that a practicing rad does like 100+ reads a day! seems unlikely they'd have time to do procedures.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!
 
So it depends on where you practice and the group. I don't have much experience with private practice but I can shed some light on academic DR. Each section gets procedures basically, some of the attendings do procedures while others choose not to. For example, the body attendings do CT guided liver biopsies, US guided paras like you mentioned, etc. MSK will do arthrograms, joint injections, bone biopsies. Neuro will do LPs under fluoro, spine biopsies etc.
As a resident you do plenty. I'm on neuro now and doing several LP's each week. some days have like 5 or so, others have 1 or 2. So in simple forms.. Yes, DRs still get to do procedures if that's what you want to do. I'm kinda the same as you in that I love the imaging part of the job, but I also like breaking up the day with some simple procedures. Gives you a chance to stretch the legs and walk around a little. If you go private, you could potentially get into more procedures as long as you're comfortable doing them.
 
Hi @bjb305 What do you think of the competitiveness of getting into a radiology residency nowadays? Per NRMP Charting Outcomes 2014, average Step 1 scores are still pretty amazing at about 241 (as usual) but it turned out that radiology is "least" competitive specialty out there with about 99% match rate for US Seniors. Even applicants below 220 Step 1 are matching in way above 90%.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

Thanks!
 
Hi @bjb305 What do you think of the competitiveness of getting into a radiology residency nowadays? Per NRMP Charting Outcomes 2014, average Step 1 scores are still pretty amazing at about 241 (as usual) but it turned out that radiology is "least" competitive specialty out there with about 99% match rate for US Seniors. Even applicants below 220 Step 1 are matching in way above 90%.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

Thanks!

it depends on what you define as "competitive". If you are simply looking to match... anywhere... then no it's not competitive. A good number of spots go unfilled, however these are probably at less desirable locations for most people. If you are looking to match at a top tier program, then yes, it's still very competitive and the top programs still attract top applicants.
 
I am a rad attending approaching mid career working in a desirable metro.

The job market in my area and within 1 hour is awful. We had one opening last year and had dozens of star applicants who comfirmed this. We hired a connected experienced rad. Look at recent workforce survey from ACR. More grads than jobs. This has been going on for 6 years roughly. Nothing is being done.

I take call once a week until 11 pm. My day is typically 9-10 hours. I work 2 holidays every year. I read non stop for my shifts. Not my defintion of lifestyle. The no call no weekend jobs are very rare these days. This is a busy field that runs 24/7.

Job stability is low as consolidations and takeovers (like my groups) are becoming more common. As an employee you can be fired like the secretary who works in your department. There have been rad layoffs in my system because of budget cuts.

A close fam member of mine works for a large hospital org that spans the state. There are 4 of them that cover all the hospitals. He works 3 12 hour shifts a week no weekend no call. He then works from home in a dark room for ER's for hospitals on the other side of the country. He said he chose radiology because of the lifestyle and to me it looks great, but I guess this is pretty rare? The highest paid member of the group makes $1.2 million/yr and is also the highest paid employee of the hospital.

It is my understanding that on weekends if no radiologist is present, scans from his hospital are sent to a radiologist in his @home batcave as well. So perhaps his @ home gig does require some unpleasant hours, but he just does it for some extra $... you guys are making rads sound miserable though haha
 
I liked the neurosurg guy's idea (and slightly sorry for stealing it).. but I also wanted to get more people interested in radiology because it's freakin awesome.
So just a little background before the questions --- I did not consider radiology AT ALL before med school.. and didn't really consider it before 3rd year. I went into school thinking I would do either ER, trauma surg, plastic surg, neurosurg but never radiology. After starting 3rd year I slowly came to realize that radiology was right for me because I initially went into med school for the science. I wanted to learn everything about how the body worked and about diseases. And after first year, I knew I had to go into something that was very anatomy focused because that's what I love. And now that I'm sitting behind the computers in the dark room, I cannot possibly be happier.
So feel free to ask whatever and I'll try to check this most nights and answer any questions. Feel free to PM me also. And just a note --- radiology residency is basically 8-5 Mon-Fri. Weekends and holidays off unless you're on call which is typically 3-6 days per month depending on residency size.
What is meant by density offset in the context of an X-ray machine?
Thanks
 
Update --
I am now finishing up as a chief resident about to start neuro fellowship. I have already signed a contract with a private practice group where i'll be doing 2nd shift (~3p-11p shifts, 7 days on 7 days off) and am thoroughly excited.