Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@khosford:
Thanks for your question; my apologies for the delay in response.
If you have the question ahead of time, I would practice writing. If not, I would take a couple of minutes to really understand what the questions is asking and the rationale behind the question. Then I would sketch out on another sheet of paper an outline. Introduction - Body - Conclusion.
So let's say the question is about a human service activity you've been involved with. I'd outline it something like this:
Introduction - Human service activities are essential to providing the background needed for OTs, as OT is a health service profession where there is significant patient interaction. Practicing people skills such as listening, empathy, and collaboration are important in OT practice.
Body - My involvement with human services has been extensive, including <example A>, <example B>, <example C>. The most impactful experience I have had in service has been when I and my group <did something fantastic that helped a lot of people or made a significant difference in one person's life, which had positive effects that were lasting...>.
Conclusion - Based on my experiences in human service activities, I have learned <a, b, c> and have grown and matured to understand <d, e, f>. These are experiences I carry with me during interactions with friends, family, and others, ....
Good luck! If you take a couple of minutes to think and plan, you'll likely do a lot better, and it will give you a chance to relax.
Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]
Thank you so much for the reply 🙂 My interview day is this coming Friday. I really look forward to the interview and Q and A part of the process. I have been thinking about how I would lay out a writing sample and I think that an outline will help me keep all of my ideas organized and in check. Thanks again!