Ask an Admissions Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ErinOT:

Thanks for your message. Applicant interviews bear some resemblance to job interviews in terms of the attire that is expected and the demeanor that should be displayed. Please follow the 3 B rule: No butts, no bellies, and no boobs (sorry, that's the language of the rule!) exposed. Women and men should dress professionally in business attire. Tuxedos are not required, but a clean, pressed business suit for men and a business suit for women, either business suit with pants or business with a long skirt for women.

In preparing for interviews you need to have done some reflection. Why is it that makes you want to be an OT? What experiences have you had that will help you in OT school? Have you experienced adversity, and how did you handle it? How do you consider ethical problems? Can you get along with others?

Each of these should be considered, and make sure you have supporting evidence. It is not enough to say "I love OT!" You must have evidence. You might say, I know I want to be an OT because I <had this experience in clinic> and <learned these things> that ensured I was committed to OT as a profession. I considered <this profession> and <that profession>, but based on <these experiences> I knew that OT was right for me.

Keep in mind that the experience may be more than simply an interview. There could be other events, such as breakfast or lunch, presentations from faculty or admissions, or financial aid, and interactions with current students, staff, and faculty. You need not be nervous, but you should not act as though everyone is your best friend either - decorum and respect for these folks is important.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

@khosford:

Thanks for your question; my apologies for the delay in response.

If you have the question ahead of time, I would practice writing. If not, I would take a couple of minutes to really understand what the questions is asking and the rationale behind the question. Then I would sketch out on another sheet of paper an outline. Introduction - Body - Conclusion.

So let's say the question is about a human service activity you've been involved with. I'd outline it something like this:

Introduction - Human service activities are essential to providing the background needed for OTs, as OT is a health service profession where there is significant patient interaction. Practicing people skills such as listening, empathy, and collaboration are important in OT practice.

Body - My involvement with human services has been extensive, including <example A>, <example B>, <example C>. The most impactful experience I have had in service has been when I and my group <did something fantastic that helped a lot of people or made a significant difference in one person's life, which had positive effects that were lasting...>.

Conclusion - Based on my experiences in human service activities, I have learned <a, b, c> and have grown and matured to understand <d, e, f>. These are experiences I carry with me during interactions with friends, family, and others, ....

Good luck! If you take a couple of minutes to think and plan, you'll likely do a lot better, and it will give you a chance to relax.

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Thank you so much for the reply :) My interview day is this coming Friday. I really look forward to the interview and Q and A part of the process. I have been thinking about how I would lay out a writing sample and I think that an outline will help me keep all of my ideas organized and in check. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got dismissal. But my reason was a C+ in two classes out of 15 that were all A and B was down to a year or less in the program. There are OT programs with the C policy this was a B policy school. What are my chances of a OT school any suggestions at this point? Or should I change my degree all together. Nothing is going to transfer over to a school it would be a start over. I have a dual degree right now BS/MS in Human Services which is nonprofit work can't do a lot without a MSW licenses the dual degree was paid for me by a nonprofit job at the time they had a lay off some years ago.

@OTCareer:

I apologize for the delay in response. Unfortunately I think you may run into a situation where some, or many, OT programs do not accept students that were dismissed or discontinued another entry-level program. My suggestion is to research programs very carefully and be up front about your background. So that will likely restrict your options. But I would not give up all hope, but use this as a chance to really reflect on your OT experience and make sure it's really what you want to do.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hi Josh,
Thank you so much for all your responses to this thread, they have been really helpful! I was just wondering if you have any suggestions on ways to stand out from the crowd/increase your chance of acceptance if placed on a waiting list? Thanks!

@lcs2074:

Thanks for writing! I have not heard of any methods to improve the chances of being offered a place in an OT class from an alternate list. Generally the class is filled from the alternate list if those who are offered admission or are offered positions on the alternate list decline. In other words, there is still much hope to be offered a position in the class, but unfortunately the chances are beyond your control for the most part. The alternate lists I'm aware of are often in rank order based on qualifications, and so it is not the case where a candidate is selected by any manner other than "next most qualified."

I expect this is not comforting to you, and I'm sorry about that. If you are not picked up from an alternate list the thing to do is to improve your profile for next year and ensure you meet and preferably exceed all minimum requirements.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

@GradSchoolz :

Thanks for your message. It sounds like you had a very challenging time and this is an exceptionally difficult situation. I've said on other threads that some OT programs do not accept students that were enrolled in other entry-level programs. It sounds like this is not the case uniformly, which is good for your situation.

Honestly my main focus would be on returning to health. The desire to be an OT and help people is a good one, but you cannot be fully effective as a student nor a clinician if you yourself are not well. I urge you to take the time that you need to fully recover and return to good health. When this is done, you can assess your situation clearly and design a plan to move forward. You may discover unknown passions and interests in this period, you might not. OT is not closed to you permanently, but the #1 priority is your own health.

People in the OT community are often very forgiving and they understand rehabilitation. Once you are ready or even now you can inquire about your institution's policies on returning to the OT program, medical withdrawals, etc., in order to lessen the severity of the situation. Medical withdrawal, even after the fact, is sometimes possible based on an institution's policies.

Again I would not take steps now to return to the program, but focus your effort on returning to wellness. Once that's done, assess where you are and what you need to do to return to your goals.

I wish you the best. Please do reach out to college/local counselors, colleagues, friends, and family for support and encouragement. If there are people in your life that are not supportive, you may consider a hiatus or a cooling off period in order to refocus on your own wellness and ability to contribute to your goals.

Sincerely,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

@GradSchoolz

I understand the desire to get back into OT school and show that you are competent as a student and an OT-in-training. However, I am not convinced that the time is right. If I understand your timeline these events are rather recent. If indeed you are 100%, back to full health, and have the support system in place, then by all means go for it. If not, it's time to examine these items carefully and make sure you're not walking into a situation that is not conducive to your long-term success.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Greeting @IndianaOT! Good to see a fellow Hoosier actively participating on this board!

Anyway, I was curious if you calculate the pre-req grades into the cumulative undergraduate GPA when applying to the program. I ask because my undergraduate GPA @ IU - Bloomington started off strong and then plummeted to a 2.7 as I had to deal with some family issues.

Also, does the board factor in non-related variables when evaluating candidates? IE work experience? Though my background is in media and advertising, many colleagues have commended my skills that relate to OT like patience to hold the clients hand in overcoming operational and resource challenges that pertain to advertising.

What things do you think I can do to make my candidacy stand out amidst my drawbacks?

Any help is much appreciated !

@ooyleahcim :

Thanks for your message! We are all Hoosiers, even if some of us went to another campus as undergraduates.

For IU, all undergraduate courses and any graduate course used as a prerequisite applies to cumulative GPA.

The answer to your other questions varies by program. IU only uses the criteria we publish, so we do not officially look at work experience. However, work experience may be relevant when it comes to the interview and one's familiarity with OTs and OT practice. The bottom line is that you'll need clear evidence of what each program wants in their applicants, whether that be academics, experiences, or both.

The first thing to do is to ensure that your application meets or exceeds (preferably exceeds) minimum admission standards. The second thing to do is apply widely and look at the statistics of those who were recently admitted and enrolled. If an applicant has a 3.2 cumulative and 3.2 prerequisite GPA and is applying to IU, the chances are very low of an admission offer, even with a strong interview score. This is because admission to our program is competitive, as with many other programs. You must get the basics right and be sure you're eligible before you apply. It's also good to reach out to admissions staff and inquire about your profile. Submit transcript copies via secure email and any prerequisite form or sheets you can find to make it easy for the staff to review.

IU is #21 currently in the US, in the top 20% of all OT programs nation-wide. We're the oldest and highest-ranked program in Indiana.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Josh,
I was wondering if you could offer any insight into how much the OTCAS Academic Update has an effect on admission decisions? I'm sure it differs by school, but in general do admissions committees not take this into account much, aside from prerequisites? Also, I've done a significant amount of additional volunteer hours and started working as a Therapy Aide with OTs in a prestigious rehab organization. Even though there is no way to update this through OTCAS, would it assist my application to let the schools I've applied to know of this? Or would it likely be irrelevant at this point and have no effect on my application? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Josh,

What is your advice for someone who has been waitlisted for OT school? I let them know that I accept the position on the waitlist, but thought I would also contact them at some point in the future to reiterate that I would definitely accept a position at this school were it offered. Is there anything anyone can do after being waitlisted to raise their chances of acceptance or is it better to leave it as it is and hope for the best? I do not want to hold back if there is something I can do to better my chances. Thank you for your time!

@OTWannabe15 :

Thanks for your message. Accepting the alternate list is indicating to the program that you are still interested. Most processes are set up where there is no additional information to be considered after the accept and alternate letters are out, for fairness reasons. I don't think there is anything to do at this point but to focus on what you can do for other programs to become more competitive if their processes are still ongoing.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

@lcs2074 :

Thanks for your note. Academic Update is used by programs if they include fall (in this case) grades in a candidate ranking system. This could include prerequisite and/or cumulative GPA calculations.

I don't think programs would be able to use your updated information without it being unfair to other applicants, as programs only consider the items they require. I cannot put weight on something that is not an official part of the admission process, otherwise we have a serious bias problem.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hello,
I was rejected from a school and wondering what the best way was to go about asking why I was rejected and what I could improve upon to reapply next year. Is there a certain etiquette for this considered most appropriate among admission counselors? Since now is a busy time with them still making decisions, would it be best to wait until they're done making decisions and perhaps have more time to give me an answer?

I can't do anything about my low undergrad gpa from 4 years ago, but all my other objective scores (prereq GPA, last 60 hrs/post-bac GPA, GRE, observation hrs in various settings) are very high. Is there any way I can find out or ask if a reference negatively impacted me, or if it was my essay?

Thanks!

@lcs2074:

I receive this question from applicants commonly, and I should note that many programs have rather lean staffs in terms of admissions support. So if you are going to inquire, I suggest inquiring once and with all the questions you have. So taking some time to write out and think about what is most relevant to your situation will be helpful in obtaining a useful reply.

The first thing to do is to examine your letter carefully. Often the letter will contain details of a decision rationale. If the letter indicates that your ranking was not high enough to be interviewed or offered admission, review the admission criteria and examine your background. It could be that you already have the answer, you just have to do a bit of analysis.

It certainly could be that your previous undergraduate GPA is lowering your ranking. The only way to change this is to complete more undergraduate courses, though there is a certain point where the courses do not help the GPA appreciably.

So take some time to think about what you want to know and then you can compose a message to the admissions staff that includes all your questions (parsimony is likely best), and thanks her or him for the effort. You can reiterate your interest in the program and that you plan to apply next year, if that's true, and ask about the most recent class profile, as well as what you can do to strengthen your application.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response. If the program I am currently planning on attending doesn't receive accreditation next month, I'll reapply to schools next year.

When you say "Often the letter will contain details of a decision rationale," you mean rejection letters are often individualized? I thought it was just a general letter sent to everyone who was rejected. The only thing it said regarding rationale was that "admission is highly competitive and difficult choices must often be made among applicants." I know you can't really answer this since its a different school, but I would be curious to know if they say that to everyone rejected. Also, if it was that difficult a choice, I'm curious as to why I didn't at least make the wait list, especially since I applied early in the rolling admissions process and was rejected very late.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to think carefully about what all the questions I want to ask are and to send it as one concise, thought out email.

@lcs2074:

I receive this question from applicants commonly, and I should note that many programs have rather lean staffs in terms of admissions support. So if you are going to inquire, I suggest inquiring once and with all the questions you have. So taking some time to write out and think about what is most relevant to your situation will be helpful in obtaining a useful reply.

The first thing to do is to examine your letter carefully. Often the letter will contain details of a decision rationale. If the letter indicates that your ranking was not high enough to be interviewed or offered admission, review the admission criteria and examine your background. It could be that you already have the answer, you just have to do a bit of analysis.

It certainly could be that your previous undergraduate GPA is lowering your ranking. The only way to change this is to complete more undergraduate courses, though there is a certain point where the courses do not help the GPA appreciably.

So take some time to think about what you want to know and then you can compose a message to the admissions staff that includes all your questions (parsimony is likely best), and thanks her or him for the effort. You can reiterate your interest in the program and that you plan to apply next year, if that's true, and ask about the most recent class profile, as well as what you can do to strengthen your application.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

@lcs2074:

Thanks for following up with me. Letters that I have sent for a variety of programs have the rationale, or at least one rationale if a candidate is declined admission. Usually the rationale refers to an admission requirement or if the candidate met the requirements for entry but was not competitive.

Sounds like you may have been below a cutoff in terms of scores. Alternatively it could have been something non-academic, such as an interview or written statement that was not as competitive, did not fully explain your interest or preparation for the OT program, or fully articulate your understanding of the profession. Given the vague nature of the letter, you might probe and ask what items you can improve, as I may have mentioned above. That is an understandable question given the feedback you've received.

My personal opinion is that the admission decision has to be justifiable, and thus has to rely on objective criteria. Of course the selection of those criteria is subjective (that is, it's a decision made by one or more people); however, the determination of whether a candidate has met a particular criterion should be objective, in the sense that there is solid evidence for such a judgment. Not everyone may agree with this assertion, and I am not a faculty member, so I do not make decisions about admission criteria. I expect that your program has some objective measures and some ways of determining a candidate's mastery or satisfaction of each. We may not all agree on the criteria used, but the idea is to use those criteria uniformly.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hi Josh,

A few years ago I fell off a roof and fractured multiple bones. I was in the hospital for a month, and then had another 6 months or so of rehab to learn to walk again. It was during this time that I realized I wanted to pursue occupational therapy as a career. Thankfully, for the most part I've made a full recovery (with the exception being that I can no longer run much). I feel that this accident is a huge and important part of my story as to why I want to become an OT but I've been advised by a few people that I shouldn't mention it at all in my statement of purpose because it will instantly raise red flags that I might be some kind of liability and will give readers an excuse to discriminate against me. Any advice?

I think this thread is a wonderful idea and I appreciate you taking the time to answer everyone's questions!

I have a question regarding wait lists. I know the number accepted from a wait list can vary wildly from school to school and year to year, but can you offer any insight as to the number the school you work for generally accepts from a wait list?

I am currently on two lists. One that does not disclose position and one that accepts 60, places 60 on the wait list and told me I was on the top 1/3 of the wait list.

Thanks for any info you can provide. Waiting was hard and now more waiting is making me really anxious and even depressed at times.

@iheartstuff:

I'm sorry for the delay; the reason will be clear if you read down-thread a bit.

I am puzzled by the reaction of some of those you have asked. The OTs I have met are very understanding and empathetic, and their first instinct is often to help people. In a profession that works a lot with individuals recovering from injuries such as yours, I do not think this would be a problem. If anything it might help you empathize even more with clients who have been injured and help in the recovery process.

I hope this is not your only rationale for pursuing OT school, and that you've thought through what the profession is about, what OTs do and do not do, the work load, hot issues such as reimbursement, ACA, etc. If all that is acceptable and good for you, then you have no reason not to apply and mention that you became aware of the OT profession and what OTs do to return clients to wellness when you were injured. This often is written in statements by PT applicants, as many candidates are injured in the course of sports activities and see PTs for the first time in this way.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison

Hi Josh,

A few years ago I fell off a roof and fractured multiple bones. I was in the hospital for a month, and then had another 6 months or so of rehab to learn to walk again. It was during this time that I realized I wanted to pursue occupational therapy as a career. Thankfully, for the most part I've made a full recovery (with the exception being that I can no longer run much). I feel that this accident is a huge and important part of my story as to why I want to become an OT but I've been advised by a few people that I shouldn't mention it at all in my statement of purpose because it will instantly raise red flags that I might be some kind of liability and will give readers an excuse to discriminate against me. Any advice?

I think this thread is a wonderful idea and I appreciate you taking the time to answer everyone's questions!

@Gopher3:

Thanks for writing. IU interviewed 72 candidates for 36 positions in the class. Those who were not offered a position in the class are generally offered a position on the alternate list, and those who are admitted from the list depends entirely on how many drop from the original 36 offers and how many alternates decline. Typically at least half of our alternate list is offered a position, though not all accept.

The only thing you can do is wait and do all you can to be competitive for next year's cycle if you are not offered a position. Those who are at their best focus on what they can do to improve, not what others are doing. Keep the faith and continue to work hard, and you'll find a good fit program.

Best,

Josh Morrison

I have a question regarding wait lists. I know the number accepted from a wait list can vary wildly from school to school and year to year, but can you offer any insight as to the number the school you work for generally accepts from a wait list?

I am currently on two lists. One that does not disclose position and one that accepts 60, places 60 on the wait list and told me I was on the top 1/3 of the wait list.

Thanks for any info you can provide. Waiting was hard and now more waiting is making me really anxious and even depressed at times.

Dear Students:

I write to inform you that I have resigned my position with the IU School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences. Due to this I will no longer be monitoring this account and thread. When a successor is named I will share the login details with her or him and hope that this professional will continue to communicate with you and help as they can.

Best wishes to you all for great success in the admission process this year and in years to come.

Sincerely,

Josh Morrison

Dear Students:

I write to inform you that I have resigned my position with the IU School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences. Due to this I will no longer be monitoring this account and thread. When a successor is named I will share the login details with her or him and hope that this professional will continue to communicate with you and help as they can.

Best wishes to you all for great success in the admission process this year and in years to come.

Sincerely,

Josh Morrison

I just want to thank you for taking the time to answer all the above questions. The information you have provided has been extremely helpful while going through the admissions process. I wish you the best of luck on whatever is next.