Technology Ask any computer tech support question here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, sorry. Blackberry is 7100t, outlook is 2003 I believe, Treo is 700p. Blackberry stopped synching after I updated outlook. I just went to "help" on the toolbar and there was a choice of search for updates. I didn't know it would replace everything!
Hmm. Are you sure it's 2003? You can check the version by going to the "Help" menu and click the "About" button down at the bottom. It's important for the version to be correct.

Do you regularly update your Outlook or this is the first time you have tried it?

Can the Treo sync to Outlook?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is 2003. The treo should normally synch, but I kept getting an error message. That is why I was trying to update it and see if something needed to be repaired.

Yes, it is 2003. The treo should normally synch, but I kept getting an error message. That is why I was trying to update it and see if something needed to be repaired.
This appears to be a rather complex problem, but hopefully I should be able to help you. Just to make sure we are on the same page. You are using Outlook 2003. You weren't having any trouble and then your Treo 700p suddenly developed a problem with syncing to your Outlook. In order to correct the problem you ran the update program for Outlook, which you haven't done before, and updated it successfully. After doing so you realized that it wiped out all of your Outlook Calendar and now your Blackberry is no longer syncing to your Outlook as well?

If I have everything correct then I have a few more questions. Can you think of anything you updated/installed/upgraded hardware or software wise around the time your Treo stopped syncing to your computer? What was the exact error message you were getting when you tried to sync your Treo? What other solutions, if any, did you try before updating your Outlook? Are you still having trouble getting your Treo to sync to your Outlook 2003 after the update? What is the exact error message you get now with your Blackberry when you try to sync it to Outlook?

Members don't see this ad :)
Blackberry doesn't give me an error page, it says it is synching, but then when I open up outlook, nothing has been transferred. The treo is now synching, but has no info to transfer back and forth. The error message I was getting with the treo previously was related to one of my recurring appointments I believe. It would say something like, cannot retrieve certain messages. No more info than that, just an "ok" button. I don't think I have installed anything else that would have lead ot all of this. I think it was just the outlook.

It sounds like when Outlook 2003 was updated it damaged the files, settings, or linking to your BlackBerry software, among other things. Hopefully the solution below this will resolve all of these problems.

What you need to try is removing all of the BlackBerry software from your system and reinstalling it with a fresh version.

To Uninstall the BlackBerry Software:

1. Go to the Control Panel
2. Double-click the "Add or Remove Programs Icon"
3. A window should open that will list all the programs installed on your computer. Locate the BlackBerry program(s) and click the "Remove" button for each one.
4. Once they have all been uninstalled, reboot your system.

To Reinstall the BlackBerry Software:

*NOTE*: Don't use the CD that came with your BlackBerry, the software is most likely out of date and could cause trouble

1. Go to this site:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

And locate your BlackBerry provider. Click the link for that provide and download the appropriate software for your model.

1a. If you bought your BlackBerry independently (through RIM) and not through a provider you need to go here instead and download the appropriate software for your model:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/suppor...0FBCA8856C82105A2AE1B92A69487#tab_tab_desktop

2. Once the software is downloaded, go to where it was downloaded and double-click it in order to start the installation process.

3. Once everything is installed reboot your computer.

4. If possible, run update software for the BlackBerry program to make sure that all components are up to date (even though you just downloaded the software some companies only provide major releases for download and the latest updates are not included)

5. Complete any setup that is required and then attempt to sync your BlackBerry back to your Outlook 2003. Your BlackBerry should sync up.

*Caution*: Reinstalling your Blackberry may cause your Treo to no longer sync with your system. Some PDA's (especially those from different platforms) don't play well together, and sometimes it's just dependent on the software/hardware of the system where the PDA's are being synced. If your Treo syncing is broken after the above procedure it can most likely easily be fixed without causing your BlackBerry to lose the ability to sync to your system or the need to reinstall the Palm software. It's most likely just caused by a few settings that will need to be adjusted to make them play nice.

Thank you so much Eponym! It worked perfectly and now both devices are synching and I didn't lose any data. Thank you so much for your help!

how can i use a bluetooth fone to control a slideshow on a bluetooth laptop. I have seen it done, just wondering whether i need a particular type of phone or software

how can i use a bluetooth fone to control a slideshow on a bluetooth laptop. I have seen it done, just wondering whether i need a particular type of phone or software
You need a particular program that will allow your phone to act as a Bluetooth presentation device and the Bluetooth hardware in your phone and laptop must both have the correct profiles in firmware in order for it to work (you can usually find this out by looking at the spec. sheet for the laptop and phone). If you do a search on Google for the software it should be easy to find, it might even be free depending on the platform your phone uses.

I have a wireless router coupled to my cable modem. For HSI in the home, it works swell.

Is it possible to connect a printer to the router so that the printer could be shared by other users on the network? Is there such a thing as a USB to ethernet cable?

I don't know about the USB to ethernet thing. I'm going to assume you'll need to have it hooked up to a computer and the computer to the modem and router. That you can do for sure.

I have a wireless router coupled to my cable modem. For HSI in the home, it works swell.

Is it possible to connect a printer to the router so that the printer could be shared by other users on the network? Is there such a thing as a USB to ethernet cable?
There is such a thing, but the printer will need the firmware to use it. I've used such a device on an old TiVo. It won't work on a printer though.

There are a couple alternatives:

1. Buy a print server (Linksys makes one, this is what I use);

2. Buy an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station, which has a USB print server built in (this is what my parents use; it works well);

3. Buy an adapter for your printer (hp makes them for their LaserJets, but not all printer manufacturers make them).

The Apple option may be the cheapest option. It's an 802.11n (draft) wireless/gigabit ethernet server that costs about $180. I think I paid $200 for my print server, which was extremely difficult to set up.

Recently, my computer have stopped allowing me to open PDF files from websites. I didn't change anything on my computer beforehand (Windows XP, IE 7, just updated Adobe in an attempt to solve the problem... It didn't work). If I click on a PDF file, it won't load, just show a blank white screen with no loading, etc., even if I refresh it. If I minimize it and reopen it, it becomes "transparent," just showing another window that I have open. Some of my classes require PDF files, so this is a real pain.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Being a proper user, I used the search function to recall this great thread.

So, I'm trying to install StarCraft II, and things are going along well, up to the point to play. I get an error on my screen of "Cannot display this video mode".

My setup: Pentium D 3GHz, 3.5Gb RAM, GeForce 8800 GTS, 2Tb HD (1Tb x2), and 3 monitors - Dell 1901FP x3, with a Matrox TripleHead 2Go digital edition. I'm running XP. The monitors are about 2 1/2 years old.

I've checked all sorts of sites; the response is apparently that the program is trying to run at a resolution not supported by the monitor. When a program starts that isn't supported by the 3840x1024 dimensions, it will turn off 2 of the monitors and run in a 1280x1024 or 800x600 window, automatically selected. This occurs: the middle and right monitors are put in standby, and the left monitor is still powered. However, that's when the message comes up. It is receiving a digital signal. After a little time, the music starts playing, so I know the program is running. A Dell support document said to turn off the monitor for 15 seconds, then turn it on again, and that the system would autodetect the appropriate settings. This does not fix it.

However, I am already set for 60Hz refresh. My nVidia drivers are the most up to date (257.21).

Any help?

Members don't see this ad :)
What happens when you try it with just one monitor?

Is the message you are seeing a Windows alert or the monitor's own internal diagnostic system?

After you hear the music playing try pressing Alt + Enter to bring the game into windowed mode and see if the monitor re-synchronizes to the desktop settings.

What happens when you try it with just one monitor?

Is the message you are seeing a Windows alert or the monitor's own internal diagnostic system?

After you hear the music playing try pressing Alt + Enter to bring the game into windowed mode and see if the monitor re-synchronizes to the desktop settings.

I don't have to do anything to try just one monitor - that happens automatically. This I know because the power buttons go to orange on the middle and right - not completely turning off.

The message comes from the monitor - the entire message is "2: Digital Input Cannot display this video mode". From a Dell support doc, this message could be "1: Analog Input" or "2: Digital Input".

I can Alt-Tab out of the game, but Alt-Enter doesn't do anything. When I Alt-Tab, the game minimizes, and all 3 monitors light up again.

edit: Or, I could just directly hook up one monitor to my video card! Ding!

Edit #2: Nope, no change when one monitor directly connected to the video card.

Last edited:
If it's not working with one monitor plugged directly into your video card then the game is asking for a resolution your monitor can't provide. Is there an external program for altering the video settings for the game? If so, see if the resolution is set for something higher than your monitors maximum resolution. If so, you just need to drop it down. If there is no external program for adjusting settings you will need to edit the configuration file for the game manually and enter a value that is within your monitor's range of resolutions.

If it's not working with one monitor plugged directly into your video card then the game is asking for a resolution your monitor can't provide. Is there an external program for altering the video settings for the game? If so, see if the resolution is set for something higher than your monitors maximum resolution. If so, you just need to drop it down. If there is no external program for adjusting settings you will need to edit the configuration file for the game manually and enter a value that is within your monitor's range of resolutions.

What they offer for config files is a txt file, but that didn't have what I needed for XP (it seems like it's in there for 7/Vista, to modify the resolution). I'll have to dig around.

Thank you!

I cant log into skype on my laptop. Ive checked firewalls, ive checked exceptions buttion. I just cant log into it. It says contact network administrator. BUt i cant log into skype at work or home or airport or anywhere. BUt on my desktop I can log on from home

What they offer for config files is a txt file, but that didn't have what I needed for XP (it seems like it's in there for 7/Vista, to modify the resolution). I'll have to dig around.

Thank you!

Well, I fixed it. I just added in the resolution lines into the config file, and the game works now. And it's starting to draw me in!

So, necrobumping because I have an issue. However, when this thread was in the Lounge, all the pages are empty (and it only goes up to 6 pages, not 9). I don't know how active or dead is this forum.

I have a Motorola Turbo 2, with Verizon. It's out of warranty, and, about a month ago, I had a new battery and charging port put in. All was well until 2 days ago. The stock charger wasn't charging. A top-rated power/data USB to micro USB cable shows no connection. A Kyocera charger trickle charged my phone. However, nothing else works. I brought my phone to the guys who did the port and battery. The kicker? The stock charger charges another phone, and an aftermarket charger charges my phone. All of the Verizon pap stating to only use "an approved charger" totally doesn't work. The tech guy found it quizzical, also. Both items work, but not with each other. That is the new thing.

I know that the Turbo 2 has charging problems, but Verizon tech help online is beyond useless (if you've ever used the community message boards, you know what I mean). I was just wondering if any techie SDNers had any ideas. @Stroganoff @Mad Jack , I don't know anyone else anymore.

I was just wondering if any techie SDNers had any ideas.
Buy a new phone. Some things aren't worth the hassle. If the phone charges/powers up, you can transfer anything to a newer phone.

And hooo boy, I just re-read this thread for nostalgia. The 2004 posts make me feel hella old. Windows 98/XP, RDRAM, IE, AIM, Palms, Firefox 1.0, GeoCities.

Last edited:
Buy a new phone. Some things aren't worth the hassle. If the phone charges/powers up, you can transfer anything to a newer phone.

And hooo boy, I just re-read this thread for nostalgia. The 2004 posts make me feel hella hold. Windows 98/XP, RDRAM, IE, AIM, Palms, Firefox 1.0, GeoCities.
It was more of an intellectual question. I already have skilled guys looking at it. I am not doing it myself.

I was looking at the Google Pixel 2.

It was more of an intellectual question. I already have skilled guys looking at it. I am not doing it myself.
I get that, but my point was there's no ROI in expending brainpower trying to fix something so ancient. If you can charge the phone enough to power it and transfer contents off of it like pictures, that's all that's needed. I've never heard of the Motorola Turbo 2, but it sounds like it could be obsolete. And an obsolete phone is a dangerously insecure phone.

I was looking at the Google Pixel 2.
I've been pretty happy with mine so far (except for the lack of headphone jack). I got it in January or so of this year. I wanted the larger variant, but when I found out LG made it, I went with the standard size Pixel 2 that HTC makes (in Taiwan, not China, to boot). Very happy that I get monthly security updates directly from Google, as that's been Android's biggest flaw so far. Google needs to adopt the Microsoft Windows Update model in Android that basically pushes out updates immediately regardless of OEM, since history shows that the current process of relying on cell phone vendors like Samsung, LG, etc and THEN carriers like Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. is a fool's errand and phones never get the security updates and OS patches, ever.

Reactions: 1 user
The Turbo 2 was the biggest phone (not by physical size, though) that Verizon had 2 years ago. It's not obsolete, yet. I don't know if Motorola called it something different, or was a Verizon exclusive, or what. But it's not some fringe thing.

It was repaired under warranty. Working fine now.

I forgot my Windows 10 laptop login password, how to recover it?

I forgot my Windows 10 laptop login password, how to recover it?
Welcome to SDN! FYI, this subforum gets super low traffic, so you'll have better luck doing a web search. In 2-3 seconds, I found some answers. :)

How to Reset Your Forgotten Password in Windows 10

In my experience, people with new accounts with 1-2 posts do drive-bys and never follow-up, but in case this does help resolve your issue, please be sure to let me know.

And welcome to the forums.