Ask in person or through email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rammerjammer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to ask a professor from a few years ago to write me a LOR. He has already agreed to be a professional reference when applying to jobs so I am pretty sure he will agree to write a letter too. I keep trying to write him an email but I get very nervous and almost feel it would be better to ask in person... I only live 2 hours away from the campus so I could make the drive up there and go to his office hours but I don't want it to be overkill... I am also having the same issue with the 2 PT's that I want to ask. For some reason I just can't write an eloquent email and I was thinking I could ask all 3 of them in person on the same day. I just don't want to interrupt the PT's while they're working or have them not recognize me or something even though I'm sure that wouldn't happen. I just get paranoid. Especially bc I need the letters by the Dec. 2nd deadline so I feel I am asking them pretty late... Sorry this is a long paragraph i just know that I can't put this off any longer and need some advice or reassurance!!! LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Try calling and explain that you would love to ask in person but that you live 2 hours away. I asked a professor for letter of recommendation via email and I also sent a picture to remind her of who I was. I also let her know I would be happy to meet in person if she had time. She didn't want to meet and wrote the letter for me.