Ask THEM for an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMrs.DDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever asked the dental school for an interview? I'm not having any luck getting into my first choice and I just want to ask them myself. I know once they meet me I'll be in the running (my sister ws accepted with basically the same stats). Is this taboo?

Members don't see this ad.

FutureMrs.DDS said:
Has anyone ever asked the dental school for an interview? I'm not having any luck getting into my first choice and I just want to ask them myself. I know once they meet me I'll be in the running (my sister ws accepted with basically the same stats). Is this taboo?

It couldn't hurt. Let them know what you believe you could offer to them, and the asset you'll be to their school.

All they could do is say no, which means you're in the same boat you're already in.

ItsGavinC said:
It couldn't hurt. Let them know what you believe you could offer to them, and the asset you'll be to their school.

All they could do is say no, which means you're in the same boat you're already in.

I've asked in another thread, does anyone know who we should direct these comments towards?? Dean of admissions? How do we get the contact info of the people we NEED to speak to?? Email, Formal letter or Phone call (which I doubt you'll get them on the horn).. Thanks for the info..

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureMrs.DDS said:

tomorrow morning im calling of my schools im under review at still to make sure my application is complete and see what's the status. I also want to convey a high level of interest in their school, ask about interivews, etc. I'm thinking of calling temple, too, and saying 'save a spot for me'...but would that be stupid considering i have an interview scheduled there and dont expect to be accepted/rejected before that? I REALLY like Temple and want to show them how interested I am. Any ideas what I could say??

-IP

irishpint said:
tomorrow morning im calling of my schools im under review at still to make sure my application is complete and see what's the status. I also want to convey a high level of interest in their school, ask about interivews, etc. I'm thinking of calling temple, too, and saying 'save a spot for me'...but would that be stupid considering i have an interview scheduled there and dont expect to be accepted/rejected before that? I REALLY like Temple and want to show them how interested I am. Any ideas what I could say??

-IP

Just letting you know, when I called my school they said "you have to e-mail us" and hung up on me. I thought it was a bit rude, but I figure an e-mail is better because then they can put it in my file.

About Temple, just tell them that they are your number one pick, but I think it would be better if you e-mailed Temple if thats where you really want to go. Just write a quick one ask them a question about the school that they will have to answer back and then say "I'm really excited about my interview on ______. Temple is everything I am looking for in a d-school. I hope to exceeed your expections." That why they will know you are interested and its solid proof.

DOes anyone know who to email though? the dean of admissions? or just an admissions officer?
I"m kinda in deep s*** i guess, the schools just recieved my apps like this week, haven't even review yet,
and here's my stats 19/19/19 (with a 18 and some 20s)
Science GPA 2.84
Overall 3.26
Nonsccience 3.94
masters-no gpa

obviousy i have no interviews yyet! for thosse of you that got interviews at NYU with stats like mine, when did you apply?

FutureMrs.DDS said:
Just letting you know, when I called my school they said "you have to e-mail us" and hung up on me. I thought it was a bit rude, but I figure an e-mail is better because then they can put it in my file.

About Temple, just tell them that they are your number one pick, but I think it would be better if you e-mailed Temple if thats where you really want to go. Just write a quick one ask them a question about the school that they will have to answer back and then say "I'm really excited about my interview on ______. Temple is everything I am looking for in a d-school. I hope to exceeed your expections." That why they will know you are interested and its solid proof.

im going to bump this since im not sure what to do/say tomorrow (if i should call places or just email, i dont know). I think I'll call everywhere and email only if they cannot tell me over the phone, however the thought of getting an email in my file to show interest is well, interesting. also temple i'll email i think.

holla! classes just ended for the semester!!
-IP

personally, i dont think you'll get an interview by just asking for it over the phone. they receive over 3000 applications and they pick and choose couple hundred for interviews and im sure they have guidelines and restrictions on who to invite.

with that said, i've seen some stranger things happening, so who knows? might as well go out swinging.

FutureMrs.DDS said:

my uncle asked for "a courtesy interview," to a school, which was granted, but didn't do him any good. luckily he got in at another school. that was a while ago though, so schools may not do that with the current application interest