Asking about a lawsuit at interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linkin06

We are all witnesses.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to do some prep work for possible interview with a group, and when I googled the name, a malpractice lawsuit came up against it. Reading through it, it did seem pretty egregious what was accused. I don't know the outcome of the case, and I also was unaware a whole group can get sued vs an individual practicing physician. Is it ok to ask about this on phone or in person interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Groups are pretty sensitive about this kind of thing as it is often emotionally charged subject matter. Also, yes, in this kind of cash grab the lawyers look for the deepest pockets so the group comes along for the ride. Kind of curious, what information would you be hoping to attain with your line of questioning?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If active suit, they really shouldnt talk to you about it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Groups are pretty sensitive about this kind of thing as it is often emotionally charged subject matter. Also, yes, in this kind of cash grab the lawyers look for the deepest pockets so the group comes along for the ride. Kind of curious, what information would you be hoping to attain with your line of questioning?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yea, I was thinking the same. I see your point, there isn't much info to be gained but possibly negative emotions that will shade the rest of the interview for no reason.

The other side of it is the information on Google is easily accessible. If there was similar information about you on the internet, you can be darn sure they would ask you. You don't need to get the nitty gritty details, but a "hey I saw this online" doesn't seem unreasonable.

I wouldn't ask about it before they offer you the job. You can ask before you sign the contract.

Reactions: 5 users
The most likely place that you found that info was on the plaintiff's law firm's website where they post summaries of verdicts that they have won or settlements that they have negotiated. Those summaries will make the anesthesiologists involved sound like the spawn of Satan. I'd probably forget about it. Maybe bring it up some day over beers after you've made partner.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the suit to me. If it was a billing or practice behavior, which is most likely the case since the entire group was named, then I would definitely ask. I would not want to be in a group that is taking chances like that.