Asking about downsides of your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kj8210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard a single thing from any of the schools that I have applied to and its been almost 2 and a half months. People keep saying that "no news is good news" but I'm having a hard time accepting that. I am basically thinking that since I haven't heard back its most likely a silent rejection and I am working on making my application better for the next cycle. I was wondering what the best way would be to go about asking schools what the downsides of my applications were? I know that my MCAT was on the low side (26) for most of the schools that I applied to. Should I email schools individually and ask them or should I call?

Members don't see this ad.

I would email with just a simple follow up of your application and try may give you a reason as to why it is taking so long. If you don't have a response within a few days I would call. Just remember that you may call with the worst hopes and actually have an acceptance hiding under paperwork

The process is just slow in some schools but yes, a lot of schools will silently reject your application, displaying it as "pending" or "processing."
I would definitely call since I bet their emails are flooded already and when you are talking to person live, they are more likely to at least make an effort. Just humbly ask what you can do to improve your application.

I actually know someone who learned he got black listed in this way. So hey, now you can call with confidence knowing that your case wont be that bad ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
The process is just slow in some schools but yes, a lot of schools will silently reject your application, displaying it as "pending" or "processing."
I would definitely call since I bet their emails are flooded already and when you are talking to person live, they are more likely to at least make an effort. Just humbly ask what you can do to improve your application.

I actually know someone who learned he got black listed in this way. So hey, now you can call with confidence knowing that your case wont be that bad ;)

What do you mean blacklisted? On McCarthy's list of suspected communists?

Well I don't want to derail the thread, but medical school application services have "blacklists" which essentially flag applicants to not get admitted. You can get on there if you REALLY screw up (they caught you lying on your application, hiding things on your criminal record, etc). This happened in the TMDSAS which is Texas' application service with only 7 or 8 schools on it. I believe it lasts for a few years before expiring.

Note: I SEVERELY doubt this is the case for OP, I just wanted to show that you can learn things from calling and asking ;)

Do NOT do this unless you get an outright rejection.

In the worst case, contact the Admissions dean and ask for feedback (NOT advice or consultation) on why you were rejected. First email, and if no luck, then call. Always be polite and professional. The worst they'll do is say "We don;t discuss that with applicants."

I haven't heard a single thing from any of the schools that I have applied to and its been almost 2 and a half months. People keep saying that "no news is good news" but I'm having a hard time accepting that. I am basically thinking that since I haven't heard back its most likely a silent rejection and I am working on making my application better for the next cycle. I was wondering what the best way would be to go about asking schools what the downsides of my applications were? I know that my MCAT was on the low side (26) for most of the schools that I applied to. Should I email schools individually and ask them or should I call?

well i dont think theres anything for them to black list me for? I'm just nervous not hearing a single word from them. I'm scared they are silent rejections. I would prefer an outright rejection :(

I also called them about twice to check up on the status of my application and everyone told me that my application was still under review. No one mentioned being rejected or black listed.