asking dentist for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has any of you been told by a dentist that he can't write you a LOR? I have one science prof. and one character letter. I didn't really keep in touch with other professors so I want to ask the dentist I just started shadowing. This dentist is really nice but can seem like a jerk sometimes. I guess he just has a dry sense of humor, it was hard to tell. Anyways, I'm planning on shadowing him until the summer and I want to ask him for a letter but I'm scared he'll reject to do so. He finished dental school almost two years ago and he works about six days a week so I don't know if he will have any time.

Members don't see this ad.

Has any of you been told by a dentist that he can't write you a LOR? I have one science prof. and one character letter. I didn't really keep in touch with other professors so I want to ask the dentist I just started shadowing. This dentist is really nice but can seem like a jerk sometimes. I guess he just has a dry sense of humor, it was hard to tell. Anyways, I'm planning on shadowing him until the summer and I want to ask him for a letter but I'm scared he'll reject to do so. He finished dental school almost two years ago and he works about six days a week so I don't know if he will have any time.

Just put your best effort in and ask the dentist for the LOR near the end of your term. We've all been through the process (including your dentist) so I'm sure he'll understand. Besides, if you don't try then you'll never know :thumbup:

good luck buddy!

it's funny; a few days ago i called up an orthodontist i shadowed 2 years ago once a week for an entire semester and asked her if she'd be willing to write me a letter... didn't remember me (ouch). however, i'm meeting with her tomorrow so we can catch up and talk. point is, she didn't say no (yet)! honestly, saying no is the worst that can happen. don't pass up the chance that he'll say yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
if he is only 2 years out of d school and says no to writing you a rec i say screw him and go shadow someone else.. that would be ridiculous, he did the same thing 6 years ago.. hes not a good person to be shadowed if hes that high on his horse.

if you asked and they refused to write you a letter, it would be a big red flag that either they suck or you do, most likely the former.

He could be telling you that he doesn't believe you have the "stuff" to be a dentist.

do you have any stories for us about the doc in general? Advice they have given? why do they work 6 days a week, are they busy? did they start their own practice straight out?

I believe he graduated in 2007 and he's planning on opening his own practice. He currently works for a private dental practice. He was a really good teacher during my first shadowing. All of the assistants, hygenist, and the receptionist were really nice. I have shadowed other dentists but never came back because I just never felt welcome. But I think he was really nice at times and I'm planning on shadowing again this week.

You'll need to start looking for another dentist to shadow if he says no. With that said, it is in your best interest to ask him as soon as possible. Make sure you tell him its a letter of evaluation (not recommendation, thats assuming what he writes is positive) and that it doesnt have to be longer than a page.