asking for a letter of rec..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakersbaby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so i need a letter of recommendation from a faculty member of my major which was computer science. however i decided to pursue medicine two years after graduation. i have a professor with whom i took 2 classes and got A's that im thinking of asking to write me a letter. im sure he doesnt remember me so how do i go about asking him. i dont know any of my other professors from my major either.

Members don't see this ad.

Remind him of who you are when you ask....what classes you took with him, when, what your grades were, anything to help jog his memory. Have a CV or bio sketch ready and copies of transcripts, and tell him you will send more info about yourself if he is willing to write your letter. You did well in his classes, so there's a good chance he'll remember you. Professors are used to writing letters for students they don't know all that well.

Also give him an out by saying do you feel comfortable writing me a recommendation. Its better to look for another LOR then to get a so-so or generic one from a professor who cannot remember who you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another tip: Forward along your AMCAS if you have finished it.

Sondra said:
Another tip: Forward along your AMCAS if you have finished it.

My tip of the day: Use the search function. There is a reason we have one :thumbup:

Contact him. Explain your situation. Tell him what classes you've taken with him. Then ask to make an appointment to meet with him to discuss the letter. It helps if you have personal statement/AMCAS to give him and/or resume and such. After talking, see if he is willing to do it and able to write a good letter. I'm sure he'll tell you if he can still manage to write a good letter. If he can't, don't force it on him...as that will probably be a disservice to yourself.

if you are applying to any prestigious schools (even if they are longshots) mention it when you are talking to him -- most professors have a lot of pride in the institution they teach at, and will want their students represented at top universities -- play off their school spirit.

I agree with the suggestions above. If you filed your AMCAS, bring it along too. The personal statement is key. I would also suggest taking him out to lunch on campus. Nice touch never hurt.

I am a little curious as to how you do not know any of the professors in your major.