Asking for decision extension

Discussion in 'Physical Therapy' started by callmecrazy, Jan 4, 2009.

  1. callmecrazy

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Messages:
    461
    Likes Received:
    93
    Status:
    Physical Therapist
    I'm fully aware that I have put myself in this situation, but now I'm just in need of a course of action.

    When I submitted my PTCAS application back in September, I decided to apply to only two schools. The school I favored at the time offered an early decision option, so I took it. I was interviewed and accepted, and they would like their decision and nonrefundable $500 deposit (if I choose to attend) by tomorrrow.

    However, over the course of the last few months, I have decided that (if given a choice) I would prefer the second school over the one that I have been accepted to. I have not heard from the second school yet though.

    The logical explanation seemed to be to make phone calls tomorrow and:
    a) call the school I do want to attend and find out just how fast they can give me an answer or at least where my application is in the process.
    b) then ask for an extension to make my decision from the school I've been accepted at (they do not interview regular decision applicants for 3 more weeks).

    The first school has every right to deny the extension, and more importantly, I'm a bit worried that they look unfavorably on applicants taking ED and then not really "meaning it". There's also the possibility that my now #1 school is no where close to making a decision, in which case, an extension would be of no use. In the end I don't want to give up my spot at #2 school in case I am not accepted at #1, but no one wants to be out $500 either.

    I know I want to have my cake and eat it too, so to speak, but what would you do in this situation?
     
  2. fallbackplan

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2008
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Rehab Sci Student
    The best thing to do (IMO) would be to play it safe and accept at school #1 (the school that accepted you) and send in your 500 dollar deposit. You can still choose to go to school #2 (the school you are waiting on) if they accept you.

    I understand that it would be a waste of 500 dollars if you chose that route, but it I think it would be better to lose 500 dollars than to have to sit out a year because I counted on another school accepting me. I think it would be safe to think "worst case scenario" in this situation, that is, assume that school #2 does not have any plans at this time to interview and/or accept you.

    That said, I would also call school #2 and see where they were in the acceptance/interview process just to be sure.

    Also, keep in mind (in reference to your logical course of action) that most schools have other qualified applicants that they can just as easily fill your seat with--you are not a special candidate--the department wants bodies in the program, it doesn't necessarily matter who those bodies are.


    Bottom line: Play it safe.
     
  3. Bigshoguns

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2008
    Messages:
    125
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Rehab Sci Student
    What I would do to be in this position. Pay for school #1 and play it safe! Worst case you end up going to school #1, instead of any!

     
  4. callmecrazy

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Messages:
    461
    Likes Received:
    93
    Status:
    Physical Therapist
    Thanks for the honest input guys.

    I did get a hold of the school I want to attend to check on my application status. I'm complete and being reviewed, but they couldn't give me any sort of time frame.
    I left a message with the school that has accepted me, and I will kindly request an extension if they return my call. Though it looks as if that may be useless at this point.
    Looks like I'll be sending them my $500 shortly, ugh. After that I'll just shut up and be grateful for having received any acceptance, hah.
     
  5. Akiramay

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Messages:
    374
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Physical Therapist
    Yah, you got good advice to accept School #1 just in case. I hope you get into School #2 though, since you now like it better. Let us know how it goes!
     
  6. PTWannabe

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2008
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Has anybody ever tried asking for an extension?
     

Share This Page