Asking for LOR from research mentor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuggedShark

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is worth asking for a LOR from my research mentor at my lab. She is the PhD I work under (my PI is elusive and I've only met him in person once). I've only had about 200 hours there and haven't done too much independent work, but I know she would write me a fairly strong letter.

The only reason I ask is because I'm applying to a fair number of T20-type schools and I don't know if they maybe want something like this. I already have five other letters (2 science, 1 non-science, one from a doctor I shadowed for a while, and from my hospice volunteer coordinator).

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It could be helpful. It really depends on what you're trying to convey and how strong this letter would be relative to the other non-prof letters (ie the doc you shadowed vs the hospice volunteer coordinator). Of course research is more highly emphasized at "T20"-type schools, but I wouldn't invent a narrative about being passionate about research if it isn't true--and if you care enough to include this person as an LOR writer I would expect something in your application about where research fits into your goals in med school.

Additionally, if you decide this is worth it, then I would see if it would be possible to have it co-signed by your direct mentor in the lab as well as the PI. Having a post-doc or staff scientist writing your letter probably is not that meaningful.

It could be helpful. It really depends on what you're trying to convey and how strong this letter would be relative to the other non-prof letters (ie the doc you shadowed vs the hospice volunteer coordinator). Of course research is more highly emphasized at "T20"-type schools, but I wouldn't invent a narrative about being passionate about research if it isn't true--and if you care enough to include this person as an LOR writer I would expect something in your application about where research fits into your goals in med school.

Additionally, if you decide this is worth it, then I would see if it would be possible to have it co-signed by your direct mentor in the lab as well as the PI. Having a post-doc or staff scientist writing your letter probably is not that meaningful.
Thank you so much. This is sort of my problem. I don't have enough research experience yet to know if I am interested in it in addition to the patient-facing aspect that I love. I have enjoyed the research I have done so far and will be doing a lot more this upcoming year, but I just don't know yet. Realistically I'm applying to these schools because of a 52X MCAT, as well as other schools that interest me just as much but I am afraid of being "yield-protected" from. Kind of a mess, I know.

So far in my writing, research is not a major part of my narrative.

Thank you so much. This is sort of my problem. I don't have enough research experience yet to know if I am interested in it in addition to the patient-facing aspect that I love. I have enjoyed the research I have done so far and will be doing a lot more this upcoming year, but I just don't know yet. Realistically I'm applying to these schools because of a 52X MCAT, as well as other schools that interest me just as much but I am afraid of being "yield-protected" from. Kind of a mess, I know.

So far in my writing, research is not a major part of my narrative.
Having a high MCAT is never a bad thing :)

Then I probably would not include this letter. The research experience is still going to be a plus, but if research is not a theme that is front and center throughout your application then I'm not sure you gain much from including this over more obviously patient-facing activities.

Reactions: 1 users