Asking for redacted assessment report before interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pediatric_psydoc

Board Certified Child and Adolescent Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it was customary for a potential employer to ask for examples of redacted assessment reports prior to inviting you to be interviewed. The job is a clinical psychologist in an outpatient clinic affiliated with a hospital system. For context, I have been in practice two years.

Haven’t run into this before, and I have interviewed with about 5 other systems so far. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As above, this is probably a bit different in neuro vs. non-neuro positions, but I've seen it listed in numerous job ads over the years.

Sounds like the position may include performing psychological assessments, whereas perhaps some of the other positions you applied for did not?

Members don't see this ad :)
As above, this is probably a bit different in neuro vs. non-neuro positions, but I've seen it listed in numerous job ads over the years.

Sounds like the position may include performing psychological assessments, whereas perhaps some of the other positions you applied for did not?

One other position I interviewed for is predominantly an assessment position. I am unsure if that one will ask for redacted reports as well. I was just invited for a second interview with them.

The one I’m referencing in my post is actually supposed to be a 50/50 split between assessment and therapy, and I think that, as well as not being asked for this in my previous interactions with potential employers, is why I am surprised. I have heard it is customary with neuropsychologists.

At my last position, we'd ask for it in trying to fill other psych positions, particularly our positions which had inpt care, as there was a lot of psych assessment there. I'd be curious if a 100% therapy position asked for one, but for any position with significant assessment of any kind, I'd want to see a product.

At my last position, we'd ask for it in trying to fill other psych positions, particularly our positions which had inpt care, as there was a lot of psych assessment there. I'd be curious if a 100% therapy position asked for one, but for any position with significant assessment of any kind, I'd want to see a product.

With that in mind, do you think I need to be concerned about the position that didn’t ask for a report?

I obviously researched these places extensively before applying, but they are all out of state so I feel like you can’t get a good sense of the reputation unless you’re nearby. All the places are either hospitals that are nationally ranked in medical specialities and the positions include a faculty appointment at an affiliated medical school, or just the latter.

I am a novice when it comes to job searching and selecting positions. My first (and current/only) job since being licensed is at the same place I completed postdoc.

With that in mind, do you think I need to be concerned about the position that didn’t ask for a report?

I obviously researched these places extensively before applying, but they are all out of state so I feel like you can’t get a good sense of the reputation unless you’re nearby. All the places are either hospitals that are nationally ranked in medical specialities and the positions include a faculty appointment at an affiliated medical school, or just the latter.

I am a novice when it comes to job searching and selecting positions. My first (and current/only) job since being licensed is at the same place I completed postdoc.

I don't think I'd necessarily be turned off from a position that didn't ask, if other things about the job were good in your case. In the non-neuro world it isn't as much of a rule. In the neuro world, I'd be a little wary as it's definitely standard IME.

For your first real job search, focus more on compensation and atmosphere. How does their OP MH dept look? Is it 90%+midlevels? Who are the area supervisors? Actual clinicians, or SWs with business degrees? Those things will impact your satisfaction more than you think.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

I know you didn't ask me directly about the bolded, but my take--I wouldn't be worried.

I also agree that it can be very difficult to get a feel for an employer/employment setting unless you've been able to visit in-person and/or talk to other psychologists working there. If you have the chance to talk with anyone there outside of your interviewers, definitely do so. I would say that in general, if they're offering faculty appointments (and are affiliated with medical schools to begin with), that's typically a good sign.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think I'd necessarily be turned off from a position that didn't ask, if other things about the job were good in your case. In the non-neuro world it isn't as much of a rule. In the neuro world, I'd be a little wary as it's definitely standard IME.

For your first real job search, focus more on compensation and atmosphere. How does their OP MH dept look? Is it 90%+midlevels? Who are the area supervisors? Actual clinicians, or SWs with business degrees? Those things will impact your satisfaction more than you think.

Thank you. This is very helpful guidance.

I know you didn't ask me directly about the bolded, but my take--I wouldn't be worried.

I also agree that it can be very difficult to get a feel for an employer/employment setting unless you've been able to visit in-person and/or talk to other psychologists working there. If you have the chance to talk with anyone there outside of your interviewers, definitely do so. I would say that in general, if they're offering faculty appointments (and are affiliated with medical schools to begin with), that's typically a good sign.

Thank you. This is helpful and I appreciate this a lot. I feel a bit lost in all this, but this and what [mention]WisNeuro [/mention]said have been helpful.

LOL, "Social workers with business degrees."

Nailed that one.

Reactions: 1 users