Asking Interviewer How you did

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YiYaoYue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think WVU is a school where you can ask how you did after the interview, but I'm so afraid to ask this question to other schools. I know some interviewers want to keep things confidential, so it might not be a good thing to ask. Do they usually tell you if you can ask them this aftewards? If they don't say anything about it then most likely you shouldn't ask?

Members don't see this ad.

My interview experiences were good ones. I walked out of each and every one of them knowing how I did just based off of reading the individual who interviewed me.

Personally, I don't think it would reflect positively on you to ask "How did I do?". You'll be able to tell. If I was interviewing people and somebody asked me that I would be hesitant to answer.... I feel its something you should be able to get a feel for from experiencing the interview.

you shouldn't be asking "how you did" until you've received response from the school
When they reject you, then you ask, "WHAT did i do wrong?"

Members don't see this ad :)
They'll probably just say you'll know within 2-3 weeks, which seems pointless to me since asking the question may not necessarily hurt your chances but it most certainly won't help your chances either.

As for me, if I were on the adcom, I'd toss out your application if you asked something silly like that RIGHT AFTER we just went through the interview. It might just be me but it's almost as silly as making love to a woman and then asking her how I did right after we finished. :D

They'll probably just say you'll know within 2-3 weeks, which seems pointless to me since asking the question may not necessarily hurt your chances but it most certainly won't help your chances either.

As for me, if I were on the adcom, I'd toss out your application if you asked something silly like that RIGHT AFTER we just went through the interview. It might just be me but it's almost as silly as making love to a woman and then asking her how I did right after we finished. :D

Exactly.

Something I've done in other interviews that works well is, when they ask if you have any questions, to say something along the lines of:

"Do you have any reservations about my abilities to succeed here?"

This is a good way for them to express any reservations and you can then respond to them, hopefully allaying their fears. You also get a fairly okay idea of how you did :)