Asking the experts - question about astigmatism

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOtobe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd ask you optometrists about this.

The last time I had an eye exam (about 4 years ago) I was prescribed a Toric contact lens because I had an astigmatism. Well, I just had my eye exam again today, and I was prescribed a different set of contacts, that are not toric lenses (I don't think, at least). So my question is, does an astigmatism completely correct itself after wearing a toric lens? I can see perfectly in the new contacts I was prescribed (I was given a trial pair), so I'm not questioning the optometrist. I was just wondering if an astigmatism can be completely corrected, or is it something you have forever?

Thanks for any of you replies! :)

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your question, no astigmatism will not go away with or without the use of soft toric contact lenses. There are two forms of astigmatism, in the cornea and in the lens. The only time that some of this may be partially reduced is with rigid gas permeable contact lenses that temporarily might reduce the amount of astigmatism that a person has.

Did you see two different optometrists? I would imagine that you have a relatively small amount of astigmatism and the first doctor chose to correct it and the second doctor used what is called the spherical equivalent to precribe non-toric lenses. This is a combination of the two different lens powers that someone with astigmatism needs. With small amounts of astigmatism this is usually done because spherical contact lenses are more comfortable and stable for the patient, as long as they can acheive good vision without their astigmatism correction.

Good question!

sammyiu said:
The only time that some of this may be partially reduced is with rigid gas permeable contact lenses that temporarily might reduce the amount of astigmatism that a person has.
The name of this procedure is a favorite on exams -- maybe even on the boards -- it's called "orthokeratology". :D I've often wondered how many people use this technique to manage their astigmatism.

I was also going to add that with small amounts of astigmatism -- especially in a young eye -- it's possible for the eye as it grows to "lose" its astigmatic error (if it's pretty small), just as it changes its spherical error.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Yeah, I did see two different optometrists (I get my eye exams at Sears now - I didn't like the optometrist I used to go to regularly when I was younger). I think the second optometrist must have done what you said, sammyiu, because the second prescription is definitely more comfortable than the first.

I forgot to ask the optometrist my question - I'm glad you guys are here! :D

You are right, orthokertology is one way that the cornea can be reshaped. It involves wearing specially designed RGP lenses overnight and removing them in the morning. Some astigmatism can be corrected this way.

There is also minor reshaping of the cornea with any RGP wear. This is why many practitioners like to have their RGP patients discontinue wear of their lenses for at least 24 hours prior to doing a refraction so that they can be sure of the prescription's stability.

What school are you attending? Do you take any CL classes in your first year? I know that at IU we didn't start them until second semester 2nd year. Just wondering :) ?

The name of this procedure is a favorite on exams -- maybe even on the boards -- it's called "orthokeratology". :D I've often wondered how many people use this technique to manage their astigmatism.

I do it. I love it. :thumbup: