ASOPRS spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

martyshka82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you have to do to get an ASOPRS spot? Is it research or who you know or good reviews during residency? I just matched for 2008, and I want to make sure I don't miss out on anything that could increase my chances. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Getting an ASOPRS plastics spot is like catching a hail mary. I dont think there is any algorithm to follow to obtain a spot. But in general going to a strong residency with a great oculoplastics department, high OKAPS scores, a strong research background and likeable/hardworking personality will all help.

I think though the most important is the oculoplastics faculty at your program who will ultimately go to bat for you with strong recs and phonecalls. This though is usually earned by demonstrating the other factors I listed above.

Keep in mind that the application and interview process for oculoplastics occurs during the second year of your ophtho residency (i.e. PGY-3 year) and so you really need to get involved early to build your application.

Getting an ASOPRS plastics spot is like catching a hail mary. I dont think there is any algorithm to follow to obtain a spot. But in general going to a strong residency with a great oculoplastics department, high OKAPS scores, a strong research background and likeable/hardworking personality will all help.

I think though the most important is the oculoplastics faculty at your program who will ultimately go to bat for you with strong recs and phonecalls. This though is usually earned by demonstrating the other factors I listed above.

Keep in mind that the application and interview process for oculoplastics occurs during the second year of your ophtho residency (i.e. PGY-3 year) and so you really need to get involved early to build your application.

Does anyone know where to find a directory of non-ASOPRS programs. I know this has been asked before, but has not answered.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some of the great oculoplastics divisions out there?

What are some of the great oculoplastics divisions out there?

Unfortunately the extent of my oculoplastics knowledge is written above; maybe a current a resident applying for oculoplastics or a fellow can chime in?

One thing to keep in mind is that there are some great faculty who do not have ASOPRS fellowships but are still well connected. Last year our department, which does not have an ASOPRS fellowship, but does have two people who have completed one, matched one resident and one young faculty member (who decided to go back and do the fellowship after a few years on staff), both in ASOPRS fellowships.

Dave