Assistance Planning my Premed Course Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boeing2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone - I'm 33 years old, and after flying for the airlines for 10 years I've suffered a 9-11 related long term layoff and figured this would be a good time to pursue my second dream of being a doctor.

I signed up for General Chemistry + Lab this fall while I was still working and should be wrapping that course up with an A in two weeks. I'll take the second half of the course in the spring semester, along with a first aid course.

I already have my 1 year of English and 1 year of Calculus under my belt from my undergraduate days (graduated in 1991) - Biology, Physics, and Organic Chemistry remain.

I was hoping to take one of those courses over the summer, if I can find a school that offers it, and the other two in the Fall of '03 & Spring of '04. I'd planned on taking Biology over the summer with Organic Chemistry and Physics next year.

Does that sound like a good plan? Any suggestions on where I can find either Biology or Physics in summer school? Finally, I was considering taking Physics pass/fail...would that be acceptable for a admissions prerequisite?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello-
Where are you from? Perhaps if we can get an idea of where you live, people from that area may chime in with suggestions as to schools where you can take classes that may be nearby.

In general, the required premed courses are 1 year each of Biology, General Chemistry, Physics, and Organic Chemistry. In addition, most schools have some sort of English and/or Social Sciences requirement. In scheduling your classes, I would not attempt more than 2 hardcore sciences at a time, simply because of the time necessary for lecture and lab. It is perfectly acceptable to complete courses over the summer, although the sciences tend to be compact and intense. Although I am unaware of strict requirements, I would recommend not taking any sciences pass/fail. I believe most schools require a grade. Along with completing these classes, keep in mind it is a virtual requirement to secure adequate health-care related experience, and acceptable letters of recommendation. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Iowa, thats pretty broad. Can you give a metropolitan area, that would make it easier to tell you where you can take classes. You might also want to try distance learning courses. I have a friend who is taking bio-chem online from the University of Wisconsin you might try and see if they have other courses on line.

many schools offer an intense physics summer course-- phys1,2 in one summer. I loved this, the only downer was that i literally dreamed about vectors and projection angles and lenses all summer long. Spring you can take gen chem2, and cell biology. That opens fall for ochem1 & anatomy in the fall. The following spring i'd take ocem2 & physiology. A lot will depend on the type of load you can handle effectively and when you want to take the mcat-- i'd suggest april, but you'll want a light load when you take it to be able to really dedicate a lot of time to focusing on that test. Keep the ?'s rolling if you want more help!! And best of luck to you:clap:

Your schedule is about right.

My best advice: take your classes at a reputable 4 year school. Maybe a state school. Also hook up with a premedical advisor to give you advice as you go.

Awesome decision to pursue medicine. Congratulations and good luck.