Assisting oral surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Assistant Student

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in dental Assisting school right now and we are about to start our clinical rotations at specialty offices. I’m scheduled to work at an oral and Maxillofacial surgeon’s office and wonder what a surgeon looks for in a good assistant. Our teacher hasn’t taught us much about oral surgery, yet that is where my first clinical rotation is. I have been trying to study as much as I can, though I’m not sure which skills will impress them most. I hope to get an idea of what the surgeon will have a dental assistant student do before going in blind next week! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure they won't throw you in there completely by yourself, likely one of their assistants will be there to help you along the way. I am sure if they have you assist it will be with something basic such as an extraction. I have assisted oral surgeons before and I would say that they would be impressed with you knowing what instruments they are going to need next so that way they don't need to tell you what to grab. If you have any other specific questions please feel free to ask and I can help you out!

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, most important thing is to suction!! There will be blood. And lots of it. So keeping the area as clear as possible is best. Sometimes it's more of a working interview type thing anyways, where they will have you basically shadow the staff to get an idea of what it is like before actually letting you assist the doctor. Don't overthink - just be interested!

Members don't see this ad :)
biggest thing on oral surgery is to suction well. I always tell new assistants, suction where the tip of the doctors instrument is. The goal is for him to see. Seems obvious but I always see new assistants suctioning everything except the area that the doctor is working on because they are scared to get in his way.

Reactions: 1 users
biggest thing on oral surgery is to suction well. I always tell new assistants, suction where the tip of the doctors instrument is. The goal is for him to see. Seems obvious but I always see new assistants suctioning everything except the area that the doctor is working on because they are scared to get in his way.

^ this

What I've always been doing is follow his instruments and suction where ever he goes.

You'll learn fast. The only way to learn is to be thrown into it.

I am sure they won't throw you in there completely by yourself, likely one of their assistants will be there to help you along the way. I am sure if they have you assist it will be with something basic such as an extraction. I have assisted oral surgeons before and I would say that they would be impressed with you knowing what instruments they are going to need next so that way they don't need to tell you what to grab. If you have any other specific questions please feel free to ask and I can help you out!
So do you sometimes suction with two innstruments like one to suction blood while the other one suctions recurring saliva? Also, do the oral surgeons use different sterilization equipment than dentists? Also, is it best to stay quiet or ask a bunch of questions?