Associate Program Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainWee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just offered the assistant program directorship at my institution. I would normally jump at the chance to take it but my wife and I are thinking about moving in a year to be closer to her family. Part of me wants to take it and see how it all shakes out, but I don't want to burn any bridges. I do see myself in academics down the line, but I also don't want to lead people on and say yes to something that deserves long-term commitment. I'm struggling with this decision. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on being offered this. Since it does not sound you will be moving anytime soon or anything is a done deal, I would strongly encourage you to accept this position. If you are interested in developing your career as a clinician educator, you would be foolish not to. This experience will help you to get the experience to accept an APD, PD or other educational leadership position at another institution. The turnonver in such positions is quite high (the average psych PD lasts 2-3 yrs). As long as you are committed to the position for now I cannot see any reason to turn it down. Also, a year is a long time. Who knows what will happen in that time. It will look suspicious if you do decline the position and you might not be offered other opportunities. You won't burn any bridges for moving, particularly if it is for family reasons. Also don't let on that you might be leaving until it's all locked because you will likely be treated differently if they know you are leaving (like you are already dead).

Reactions: 4 users
Having now worked in many different contexts, "burning bridge" is not really a thing. It's a thing that senior people use to make junior people feel beholden.

No. No one cares if you leave or if you change your mind after a year. People immediately forget about you.

Frankly, no one cares if you DIED on your job in a year, which is a distinct possibility. They will find someone to replace you.

If you want to be promoted, you need to bring value to the table. Institutional loyalty, especially one that's coerced, is not #valueadd.

Decisions are always easier when you are brutally honest.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This may be more about you than the institution. As someone who does a lot of hiring...you probably aren't super replaceable. There's a reason so many locums companies extract king's ransoms. There will be frustration if you drop it out of the blue in a year. Are you going to feel guilty about that the whole year? If so, share your current vague plans and see. They may want to take the risk and hope you'll stay.

I agree with Splik. Who knows what the future holds? You've got to take hold of your destiny. This could turn into a dream job you never leave. Or maybe you leave in two years instead of one, and this experience turns into a job opportunity closer to family down the road.

IT's an incredible honor.

But PD is a tough job. I say this sincerely as someone who almost never left academia. My pay is so much better being out of academia and academia has become harder and harder. I find it unfair to good professors making about $180-200K a year to work about 60 hours a week when I work less than this and make over 2x as much.

I still endorse people work in academia a few years because residency doesn't teach enough by the time you graduate. That all said unless the program puts a good future for you, you might as well leave. I say this in a pro-community sense as the community needs good providers and university programs aren't often times efficient with their own practice.

Along with my increased income I do see a hell of a lot more people, helping them and helping society more on that angle. I remember back as a professor they wanted me to do my own prior authorizations and secretarial work despite me telling them over and over again that the institution would make more money and we'd help more people if they streamlined and outsourced this to an employee instead of letting the doctor be bogged down with work someone being paid $18/hour could do.

It never made sense. I could see 2x as many people, the organization would make more money, I'd be happier, we'd be adding to the economy another job, more sick people would get better adding to the economy cause now these people could work and university bureaucracy stood in the way.

This is a classic case of an organization not being able to hold it's bottom line and often times the bottom line does have merit. If an organization cannot financially sustain itself it can mean they aren't being efficient enough and then the argument arises, then maybe it shouldn't exist. (Yes I know there's exceptions). Of course I endorse academia as a whole but the financial processes going on in colleges and universities are at historic and alarming levels of problems. Professors are paying for it in terms of increased hours and less pay.

The biggest reason why I left academia was because I felt I was subsidizing what I nicknamed "loserdom." That is I was working my tail off bringing about 3x what they were paying me and they took this money, put it into an organization that was paying me the same amount as colleagues not justifying their pay and letting them continue with their poor practice while not getting me an assistant that if anything would've doubled my work efficiency.

I had no problem working, making less money with top people who also worked effectively, at one institution, but a later institution it was too in my face broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would normally jump at the chance to take it but my wife and I are thinking about moving in a year to be closer to her family.

I won't give advice because this is over my paygrade, but how certain are you that you'll be moving? Is it 50/50 or thinking "it would be nice to be closer to family"? If you're pretty serious about moving, I'd probably be upfront with it before doing a sealing the deal. Would likely be smart to think of some short-term QI projects or suggestions that you could implement quickly. If really not sure about moving, I wouldn't worry about it but still make sure you can make an impact fairly quickly. That's just what I'd do given my feelings towards my program, but others will have actual advice.

Congratulations! Sounds awesome whether you accept it or not.

OP:
Do you have the time to spend and the mental energy to spend on this endeavor? If so, do it. If not, don't.

This may be more about you than the institution. As someone who does a lot of hiring...you probably aren't super replaceable. There's a reason so many locums companies extract king's ransoms. There will be frustration if you drop it out of the blue in a year. Are you going to feel guilty about that the whole year? If so, share your current vague plans and see. They may want to take the risk and hope you'll stay.

I won't give advice because this is over my paygrade, but how certain are you that you'll be moving? Is it 50/50 or thinking "it would be nice to be closer to family"? If you're pretty serious about moving, I'd probably be upfront with it before doing a sealing the deal. Would likely be smart to think of some short-term QI projects or suggestions that you could implement quickly. If really not sure about moving, I wouldn't worry about it but still make sure you can make an impact fairly quickly. That's just what I'd do given my feelings towards my program, but others will have actual advice.

Why would you share your actual vague feelings to institutional employers who have a stated conflict of interest?

The best way to extract maximum leverage is where you are “approached” for a counter offer elsewhere, not when you *disclose* that you *might* leave in a year so institutions should be given an oppurtunity to replace you.

Plus how does this change anything? The contract isn’t signed for a multi year commitment. Personally, I devote 200% to every job I ever engage in, whether it’s a year or ten years, so the concern of disclosure irrelevant. Vagueness is weakness.

If you're planning to be mercenary about this...academics might not be the right fit. Lots of places to make more money more easily.

If you're planning to be mercenary about this...academics might not be the right fit. Lots of places to make more money more easily.

Not at all. You always have to be mercenary. It’s just that in academia you trade on a different currency than the USD.

In fact, to do *well* in academia one often has to be much *more* mercenary than say in private practice. And because the currency is more opaque, the games are often more confusing. Confusing doesn’t mean doesn’t exist.

Reactions: 1 users