Assume this question is from a non-med student:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1- Why does cancer kill?

2- For the most part, why isn't there a definitive cure for cancer (yet)?

(I know the answers) Please don't ask why I made this post, just kindly and adequately address these two questions.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1- Why does cancer kill?

2- For the most part, why isn't there a definitive cure for cancer (yet)?

(I know the answers) Please don't ask why I made this post, just kindly and adequately address these two questions.

Thanks in advance.

I'll take this one before I start my day, and try to keep it short:

1. Cancer is unregulated autogeneic cell growth. The definition of death is typically agreed upon as either the cessation of the heart and lungs function or cessation of brain function. Ultimately cancer kills because it either: 1)metastasizes to the brain/or lungs and grows to the size where it is mass has an impact on functioning or 2) creates such a burden on the cardiovascular system either through occlusion of a major vessel or releasing chemical mediators that it ceases to function.

2. For the most part their is no definitive cure for cancer because, on the genetic level, cancer is heterogeneous. It arises from different cell types, with different mutations, working through different pathways. One cancer may tend to stay local, another invade, another release endocrine molecules. Even cancers which appear similar pathologically could have arisen from different mutations. Additionally, due to its unregulated growth, cancer tends to mutate quicker than non-cancerous cells. So while its not so difficult to find a toxic agent to TREAT cancer, eventually it may become resistant.

Now you better quote me if your gonna put that in a paper.

^^ Thanx for the nice response.

and lol, dont worry it's not going in anyone's paper or essay.

LoL @ that thought process though. :D