Asthma Diagnosis while in HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJPDMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone has some insight on this. I am a 4th year dental student in the Army HPSP. Over the past few months I have started to develop what I believe are Asthma related symptoms. I am currently going through testing with my physician to come up with a diagnosis. I was just wondering if anyone knew how it works if you were to be diagnosed with something like Adult Asthma while you're already in HPSP. Since I will be graduating soon, Im just trying to get an idea how this may affect my active duty service coming up. How does the Army handle and Asthma diagnosis while you're already in and how does that affect service as it pertains to Army dentistry and HPSP payback.

Members don't see this ad.

Hoping someone has some insight on this. I am a 4th year dental student in the Army HPSP. Over the past few months I have started to develop what I believe are Asthma related symptoms. I am currently going through testing with my physician to come up with a diagnosis. I was just wondering if anyone knew how it works if you were to be diagnosed with something like Adult Asthma while you're already in HPSP. Since I will be graduating soon, Im just trying to get an idea how this may affect my active duty service coming up. How does the Army handle and Asthma diagnosis while you're already in and how does that affect service as it pertains to Army dentistry and HPSP payback.
You will serve your commitment stateside... think Ft Irwin, Ft Polk, Ft Jackson...

First step - Do a PHA (instructions are on MODS) and self report the medical issue
After the PHA is complete, the Human Resource Command will determine if you are fit for duty through a non-duty related Physical Evaluation Board
Past that one of several things can happen
1. You are found fit with no limitations
2, You are found fit with some limitations
3. You are found to be unfit and will be allowed several options from there from appearing in person before a board to show why you think you are fit to resigning your commission

Reactions: 1 users