Asylum Status and Med school admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT1982

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just came to know about the Citizenship criteria being weird for "Asylum" status as well.

I am not a citizen or have a green card (working towards it) - but I am a legal resident who can stay indefinitely in the US because of my Asylum status - I have all the benefits as a green card holder, though I am not one.

It is soo weird that the schools do not want to accept Asylees. I dont need a student visa/nor I am international.

Currently I am getting all the Resident benefits at the school I am going to with no issues, but seems like Medical schools would screen me out based on that - Seriously I feel sad - after soo much effort !!

Any suggestions on anything that could be done ? anything would help..any info !

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to apply for green card soon.

From Dept. of Homeland Security website:

"As a refugee, you are required by law to apply for permanent resident status 1 year after being admitted to the United States. As an asylee, you are not required to apply for permanent resident status after being granted asylum for 1 year, although it may be in your best interest to do so."

If you apply and and receive a green card, hopefully this will help gain admission to medical school.

Link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=3416a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Hope this helps

You may want to apply for green card soon.

From Dept. of Homeland Security website:

"As a refugee, you are required by law to apply for permanent resident status 1 year after being admitted to the United States. As an asylee, you are not required to apply for permanent resident status after being granted asylum for 1 year, although it may be in your best interest to do so."

If you apply and and receive a green card, hopefully this will help gain admission to medical school.

Link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=3416a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Hope this helps

Thanks for the response - my Asylum was approved in Feb 2013 - so its been only around 4 months now. Have to wait another 8 months to apply for Green card.

I was planning to apply for this Application cycle - seems like schools I wanted to apply are mostly out of scope now - except may be a handful.

Every schools have this policy to make sure that the student completes the full coursework, and not stop in between and leave.
For me it does not make sense that I cannot apply, because I received my Asylum for the sole reason to be in United States forever !

Anyways hoping for the best !

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response - my Asylum was approved in Feb 2013 - so its been only around 4 months now. Have to wait another 8 months to apply for Green card.

I was planning to apply for this Application cycle - seems like schools I wanted to apply are mostly out of scope now - except may be a handful.

Every schools have this policy to make sure that the student completes the full coursework, and not stop in between and leave.
For me it does not make sense that I cannot apply, because I received my Asylum for the sole reason to be in United States forever !

Anyways hoping for the best !

Thanks

You must wait until you have received a permanent resident status before you submit your application. Otherwise you will be considered an international applicant.

You must wait until you have received a permanent resident status before you submit your application. Otherwise you will be considered an international applicant.

Seriously thats not the right thing to do - as I am not on a Visa or International - As the word Asylum itself means someone who has moved from somewhere else to be permanently in the US.

I am getting all the benefits like a Green card holder when it comes to job/school etc. Not sure why only Medical schools doubts this stuation.

Few schools does accept asylum applicants too - like Univ. of Rochester.

Hi,

I just came to know about the Citizenship criteria being weird for "Asylum" status as well.

I am not a citizen or have a green card (working towards it) - but I am a legal resident who can stay indefinitely in the US because of my Asylum status - I have all the benefits as a green card holder, though I am not one.

It is soo weird that the schools do not want to accept Asylees. I dont need a student visa/nor I am international.

Currently I am getting all the Resident benefits at the school I am going to with no issues, but seems like Medical schools would screen me out based on that - Seriously I feel sad - after soo much effort !!

Any suggestions on anything that could be done ? anything would help..any info !

Thanks
hey! I am in the same boat as you. Have you had any positive responses from any schools so far?

Did you complete your prerequisites in the U.S.?
And you do need at least a Green Card to apply (and be considered for an admission). The best is to be a citizen, though.

I doubt that you, as a nontrad asylee, need any of us to tell you that life ain't fair. Fortunately for you, this is a problem with a relatively obvious solution: don't apply this year, get your green card when eligible, and apply next year. The only question, I guess, is what you do this year. I assume you are eligible to get a job as a refugee during your gap year? If so, I'd start looking for one. And don't despair. You will be a doc for the next few decades. One year delay in the whole scheme of things is not a big deal.

Hi,

Thanks

Hi

Your question was a while ago, but did you resolve your case? I'm in the same boat as you now and would love to know how it turned out for you!

I'm in the same boat! Can anybody share how things went for them? I'm on my second gap year and there's no way I'm getting a greencard anytime soon :(