At the risk of sounding like an idiot....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainbowGolf93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I know there is probably some common sense answer to this question or some sort of protocol I don't know about... but...

I've just started noticing from reading some of these threads that some DO schools give you a certain amount of time to "accept and acceptance." So, for example, you interview at DMU in September, get an acceptance in October, and then they give you something like two weeks to accept the spot.

What if I really like DMU, but I have an interview at PNWU in January and then one at MSUCOM in March? Do they really just expect people to commit to them in that time, or is it just that you give them money for the deposit, (the $1k - $2k or whatever), and if you get into a program you like better than DMU you just have to forfeit that money? Both seem unfair. Is there something that I am missing?

Members don't see this ad.

You can put deposits down on any school you get accepted to, to keep your seat, but you'll eventually have to forfeit your deposits at all the schools you've paid for to go to the one you want. It is pricey, but I suggest you put your deposit down on the first one just in case things don't work out with the others. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I know there is probably some common sense answer to this question or some sort of protocol I don't know about... but...

I've just started noticing from reading some of these threads that some DO schools give you a certain amount of time to "accept and acceptance." So, for example, you interview at DMU in September, get an acceptance in October, and then they give you something like two weeks to accept the spot.

What if I really like DMU, but I have an interview at PNWU in January and then one at MSUCOM in March? Do they really just expect people to commit to them in that time, or is it just that you give them money for the deposit, (the $1k - $2k or whatever), and if you get into a program you like better than DMU you just have to forfeit that money? Both seem unfair. Is there something that I am missing?

Not all schools do this. I know that the LECOMs (and CUSOM?) give you thirty days post offer to accept but many schools follow AACOMAS traffic guidelines which mean that if you get an offer in the first part of the cycle (prior to December? I think), you have until Dec. 15th to put down a deposit. After December, you have a different deadline, I'm not sure what it is though. Examples of schools that use AACOMAS guidelines: DMU, AZCOM, Nova

DMU isn't a good example because they give you until December. To answer your question yes you need to pay the deposit to hold your seat (within the given time frame) and then if you get into another school you like more then yes you lose your deposit. It's just how it goes. The reality is that in the end you will be spending 200-400K on medical school so another thousand doesn't really do much.

Pretty dumb that DO schools do this, but honestly if I were them and I was looking to make a buck I would just accept the "top" applicants ASAP before any other school accepts them in order to force their hand in paying the deposit fee.

You bite the bullet and fork over the money. They want to know you're serious about coming to thier program.

News flash: life's unfair.

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes I still lie awake at night think about that lost BCOM deposit. I could've had a PS4...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sometimes I still lie awake at night think about that lost BCOM deposit. I could've had a PS4...

My "small" lost deposit could've bought me a cheap car to flip..

Reactions: 3 users
Pretty dumb that DO schools do this, but honestly if I were them and I was looking to make a buck I would just accept the "top" applicants ASAP before any other school accepts them in order to force their hand in paying the deposit fee.
MD schools have seat deposits too. They just seem to be about half of what DO schools charge.

MD schools have seat deposits too. They just seem to be about half of what DO schools charge.

US MD schools' deposits are anywhere from 2.5% to 10% of the deposits of DO schools. The deposit is $100 and is refundable until very late in the cycle. No comparison to the predatory antics of DO schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
US MD schools' deposits are anywhere from 2.5% to 10% of the deposits of DO schools. The deposit is $100 and is refundable until very late in the cycle. No comparison to the predatory antics of DO schools.

Its really school specific. The public DO schools mostly have deposits in the $100-$500 range. US MD schools are more in the $100-$500 also range as far as I've seen, and they are refundable before like March or so. Private DO schools are anywhere from $500-$4000 depending on when you get accepted (larger later, etc.) and its rarely refundable. Its honestly outrageous. I lost a $1k deposit in the process, but it was worth it to be so close to home.

Its really school specific. The public DO schools mostly have deposits in the $100-$500 range. US MD schools are more in the $100-$500 also range as far as I've seen, and they are refundable before like March or so. Private DO schools are anywhere from $500-$4000 depending on when you get accepted (larger later, etc.) and its rarely refundable. Its honestly outrageous. I lost a $1k deposit in the process, but it was worth it to be so close to home.

I've never seen a DO deposit that was less than $1000 but I'd be willing to believe that public DO schools are less predatory.
Quite sure AMCAS stipulates that deposits for all US MD schools must be exactly $100 and must be refundable before a certain date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even MSUCOM's is $1,000. I don't think any DO school is less than that.

I've never seen a DO deposit that was less than $1000 but I'd be willing to believe that public DO schools are less predatory.
Quite sure AMCAS stipulates that deposits for all US MD schools is exactly $100 and must be refundable before a certain date.

OU-HCOM (the first public school I checked) has a deposit of $100 due after being accepted and an additional $500 due after May 15th.

AMCAS changed its traffic guidelines to include that it "should" not exceed $100 in 2014. I don't believe that was the case when I applied. I remember multiple MD schools with $250 deposits.

Even MSUCOM's is $1,000. I don't think any DO school is less than that.

See above.

EDIT: OSUCOM is $100, TCOM is $0, Rowan-SOM is $195 ($100 deposit and $95 background check fee), WVSOM is $500 first, then another $500 for IS applicants (OOS applicants pay a ton more, like $2k then $1k), that's all I feel like looking up, but yeah.

Last edited:
I really wish that if they were going to open more schools, that they'd open more state funded DO schools. Just as cheap as an MD school, much better...everything than a private DO school. Also, doesn't a state funded DO school cost the state in question significantly less money than a state funded MD school? At the same time, IS preference would actually address the physician shortage. Just seems like a win all around.

Quite sure AMCAS stipulates that deposits for all US MD schools must be exactly $100 and must be refundable before a certain date.
TCOM is $0, which was pretty nice after paying a couple other deposits.

Guess we get a skewed perspective on sdn from people complaining about the expensive deposits. Glad to hear there's quite a vast range down to $0!