At UCLA, is research mandatory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherr1pop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting very close to depositing to UCLA and had one quick question. I was wondering if research is a mandatory requirement for graduation or anything like that at UCLA. I did do some research in undergrad but it wasn't the best experience I had and I just wanted to know whether I should prepare myself to do more research in DS. Thank you in advance & Happy Holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

It was mandatory during our year. Our class was the last class that had to do research in order to graduate. When UCLA dropped the research requirement, only 1/3 of the students in the class below our class did research….obviously, these people wanted to specialize.

Research is not mandatory. I did research in undergrad too and learned that it wasn't for me and was upfront about it during the interview. Even if you wanted to specialize, you may even be able to avoid it if you are strong in other areas like rank, service, or leadership. However, you will be reading and analyzing research papers to help you make the best decisions and forced to do EBD.