At what point can one render reinvention an unfeasible propsect?

Started by fu_shuai
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fu_shuai

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my case I have had a very arduous undergrad pathway, fraught with a vast array of different issues. Having said that, the one thing that still gives me hope is that one day I can fully rectify my predicament and achieve to the level I know I was once capable of doing. Deep down, I fully believe I possess the intellectual apparatus needed to flourish in the pathway I would like to undergo. The only thing I am afraid of is the concept of time. I am 21 right now, and the one thing that I am most apprehensive about is working my butt off for the next three years to reinvent myself and fast forward to that time, I will still have nothing to show for. At one moment, I absolutely refuse to capitulate at such a young age on my dreams and my determination maintains its resolute nature. At another moment, I begin to have premonitions about the future vis a vis the prospects of reinvention being unfeasible. In your guys' eyes, what are things that make reinvention an insurmountable task? I know there is not an axiomatic answer to this question as the question is subjective and relative in nature; however, I would just like to garner some perspective. I would like to believe that infractions such as felonies, due to their sheer magnitude, would make it exceedingly impossible to secure a spot in a MD school, no matter how strong the performance of a reinvention endeavor.
 
In my case I have had a very arduous undergrad pathway, fraught with a vast array of different issues. Having said that, the one thing that still gives me hope is that one day I can fully rectify my predicament and achieve to the level I know I was once capable of doing. Deep down, I fully believe I possess the intellectual apparatus needed to flourish in the pathway I would like to undergo. The only thing I am afraid of is the concept of time. I am 21 right now, and the one thing that I am most apprehensive about is working my butt off for the next three years to reinvent myself and fast forward to that time, I will still have nothing to show for. At one moment, I absolutely refuse to capitulate at such a young age on my dreams and my determination maintains its resolute nature. At another moment, I begin to have premonitions about the future vis a vis the prospects of reinvention being unfeasible. In your guys' eyes, what are things that make reinvention an insurmountable task? I know there is not an axiomatic answer to this question as the question is subjective and relative in nature; however, I would just like to garner some perspective. I would like to believe that infractions such as felonies, due to their sheer magnitude, would make it exceedingly impossible to secure a spot in a MD school, no matter how strong the performance of a reinvention endeavor.
What are your stats ?
 
What are your stats ?
I delineated this in a prior post. You can check my post history. Regardless, my stats are nowhere near good enough for admittance. The only thing I have is a good mcat score. Therefore, reinvention is of utmost criticality.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I delineated this in a prior post. You can check my post history. Regardless, my stats are nowhere near good enough for admittance. The only thing I have is a good mcat score. Therefore, reinvention is of utmost criticality.
Wait , so i just saw your other posts.... I am definitely empathizing with what you are going through, that being said: why are you asking about felonies? I am not sure you mentioned it in your past post. That could certainly change things.

Also, i am not sure what can i say that would be different from what other people already told you just a little while ago. I mean, nothing really changed, right? Or something DID change?
 
Wait , so i just saw your other posts.... I am definitely empathizing with what you are going through, that being said: why are you asking about felonies? I am not sure you mentioned it in your past post. That could certainly change things.

Also, i am not sure what can i say that would be different from what other people already told you just a little while ago. I mean, nothing really changed, right? Or something DID change?
Nothing really changed. I could have an IA for a very stupid reason however tho. I was perpetually playing with my soccer ball and was told not on multiple occasions but failed to adhere. This lead to my suspension for a semester.
 
Nothing really changed. I could have an IA for a very stupid reason however tho. I was perpetually playing with my soccer ball and was told not on multiple occasions but failed to adhere. This lead to my suspension for a semester.
ok, i feel like there is much more to the story... But it is none of my business, so i wont ask.
 
In my case I have had a very arduous undergrad pathway, fraught with a vast array of different issues. Having said that, the one thing that still gives me hope is that one day I can fully rectify my predicament and achieve to the level I know I was once capable of doing. Deep down, I fully believe I possess the intellectual apparatus needed to flourish in the pathway I would like to undergo. The only thing I am afraid of is the concept of time. I am 21 right now, and the one thing that I am most apprehensive about is working my butt off for the next three years to reinvent myself and fast forward to that time, I will still have nothing to show for. At one moment, I absolutely refuse to capitulate at such a young age on my dreams and my determination maintains its resolute nature. At another moment, I begin to have premonitions about the future vis a vis the prospects of reinvention being unfeasible. In your guys' eyes, what are things that make reinvention an insurmountable task? I know there is not an axiomatic answer to this question as the question is subjective and relative in nature; however, I would just like to garner some perspective. I would like to believe that infractions such as felonies, due to their sheer magnitude, would make it exceedingly impossible to secure a spot in a MD school, no matter how strong the performance of a reinvention endeavor.
IAs can keep you out of med school, as can some types of criminal activity. I'm not talking about a single DUI or pot possession when you were 17-19.

EDIT: Whatever you did, is it only the soccer ball incident?

As I have posted previously, you well need to show that the you of now is not the you then. Your mental health issues need to be under 100% control. A long stretch of academic excellence will help allay Adcoms fears on this. Although honestly, your flowery prose does make me a bit nervous.

For the limited info that you've posted, it's not too late for reinvention.

While your state MD school is best chance for MD, you will still need DO schools on the list.
 
Last edited:
IAs can keep you out of med school, as can some types of criminal activity. I'm not talking about a single DUI or pot possession when you were 17-19.

EDIT: Whatever you did, is it only the soccer ball incident?

As I have posted previously, you well need to show that the you of now is not the you then. Your mental health issues need to be under 100% control. A long stretch of academic excellence will help allay Adcoms fears on this. Although honestly, your flowery prose does make me a bit nervous.

For the limited info that you've posted, it's not too late for reinvention.

While your state MD school is best chance for MD, you will still need DO schools on the list.
In what way does my flowery prose make you nervous?
 
Can't lie, I've seen it before from mentally ill SDNers.
I would not say that I am clinically depressed as of right now. However, I am quite regretful vis a vis my undergrad experience. I am extremely looking forward to this whole process of reinvention and feel it will be instrumental in helping me grow as a person and will be the process that hopefully takes me from being a student to a scholar.
 
Grandiose speech can be a red flag. Sometimes, though, you can also see it from people whose first language is not English (I think they overcompensate a bit in their writing).
Lol I was just going over some GRE words as of lately, maybe that's why my rhetoric came across as being flamboyant. On another note, I have always just been interested in learning more advanced words.
 
Your grandiose speech seems to hide what you are trying to say- do you have a felony on your record? or just the IA?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You really just need more maturity and that takes time if you want to distance yourself from someone who got an IA from bouncing a ball like a middle-school boy. Work a job after graduation, volunteer, get some letters saying you're responsible and dependable. You really need to demonstrate this isn't you.

The GPA can be fixed by going DO and doing some post-bacc. How else?

Also, stuff like telling a medical student whose trying to help you, "check my post history, i don't feel like writing it out" doesn't cut it. You need to be of the mindset that you need to grovel and make life easier for everyone else, and jump for joy at people willing to offer constructive feedback.
 
Last edited: