At what point do you retake a pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1worried

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, long time lurker who just made an account-

I received a C+ in Organic chem 2 this semester, and I'm not sure if I should retake it. I have a 4.0 GPA otherwise (the C+ brought me down to a 3.915). I think I was just too busy with other stuff this semester, as I think I could've gotten a better grade (have an A in Orgo 1).

Should I retake this C+ in Ochem 2, or just move on to upper-division classes and do better in them (like Biochem, a-chem)? My GPA is still good I'd say, and I think I can pull a 3.8+ next year (I've completed about 68 credits now).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, long time lurker who just made an account-

I received a C+ in Organic chem 2 this semester, and I'm not sure if I should retake it. I have a 4.0 GPA otherwise (the C+ brought me down to a 3.915). I think I was just too busy with other stuff this semester, as I think I could've gotten a better grade (have an A in Orgo 1).

Should I retake this C+ in Ochem 2, or just move on to upper-division classes and do better in them (like Biochem, a-chem)? My GPA is still good I'd say, and I think I can pull a 3.8+ next year (I've completed about 68 credits now).

Thanks!

Don't re-take, just prove you can get consistent As in upper level courses. Anything C or lower I would re-take when it comes to pre-reqs, but a C+ is sort of a gray area, so I would bet some will say you should re-take. Personally, I would move on, that C+ will not be the difference between you getting into med school and not getting in, and it isn't likely to be the difference between getting in to your dream school and not getting in either, as long as you can resume your straight-A habit. (and everything else is dream-school worthy, of course) :luck:

I believe amcas calculates your GPA based on all courses even if they're retaken. So either way you won't have a 4.0, that C+ will always be a factor. Since it meets your degree requirements (I'm guessing has to be a C or higher) just flow with it. One class won't kill you, it sounds like you have a good handle on everything else