At what point do you throw in the towel??

Started by NRAI2001
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I m sure that most of the people here considering post baccs are probably just below the avgs for people accepted to US schools and some maybe considerably more lower. I m also sure that most of these people probably could go to a good carribean school like SGU or maybe even a DO school.

So at what point would you give up on post bacc (masters also) studies and just start med school (where ever it maybe)? You cant be a post bacc for 5 years, what would be your limit?
 
I would apply one time, and if I dont get in, go the overseas route.

As such, I'm thinking about waiting another year to apply, which would make it 29 when I started! I dont want to wait that long, but I defintely dont want to be a reapplicant, so I would rather wait until my application was as strong as it could be.

On the other hand, if I could start at the Caribbean now and that would save at least three years over the amount of time it would take to get into a US school, I would go overseas. Any less time saved is not worth it, in my opinion.
 
junebuguf said:
I would apply one time, and if I dont get in, go the overseas route.

As such, I'm thinking about waiting another year to apply, which would make it 29 when I started! I dont want to wait that long, but I defintely dont want to be a reapplicant, so I would rather wait until my application was as strong as it could be.

On the other hand, if I could start at the Caribbean now and that would save at least three years over the amount of time it would take to get into a US school, I would go overseas. Any less time saved is not worth it, in my opinion.

Yea thats the thing you never know how many years it may end up taking being a postbaccer. "one more year.....one more year...." can end up being a long time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NRAI2001 said:
I m sure that most of the people here considering post baccs are probably just below the avgs for people accepted to US schools and some maybe considerably more lower. I m also sure that most of these people probably could go to a good carribean school like SGU or maybe even a DO school.

So at what point would you give up on post bacc (masters also) studies and just start med school (where ever it maybe)? You cant be a post bacc for 5 years, what would be your limit?

I'm entering a post bac this fall. i was currently a nursing student but had enough for a liberal arts degree, so i'm taking it and leaving! i did decent with a 3.6 gpa. i plan on working my ass off at post bac program for 2 years to fulfill my pre med science requirements. i will determine that to be a true test. once doing that, i plan on studying all summer (6x a week, 6-8 hrs a day for 3 months) for the mcat and then take it in august. i guess if i get a 26 or above i will apply. not sure DO or MD, but i know i probably wouldn't get into the latter with that score so i would study more and retake it in that case. i'm not sure if i would apply to the caribbeans. i don't know too much about them, but i know the avg scores and mcat are much lower, and that would personally make me feel inadequate if i have to rely on that route to become a doctor. but thats not to say that great dr's dont come from them, i'm sure there are plenty.

only you can be the ultimate judge of your capabilities. assuming a person is somewhat above normal intellect, i believe nothing can prevent them from being a doctor as long as they have a will like no other and incredible work ethic. but i feel there is a time to be honest with yourself, if you are consistently getting very low mcat scores and can't get your gpa up, you may not be intellectually capable of being a doctor. but it's important to examine yourself and your capabilities in an honest fashion to determine when to give up and when to keep going.
 
NRAI2001 said:
Yea thats the thing you never know how many years it may end up taking being a postbaccer. "one more year.....one more year...." can end up being a long time.


I did a year of the post-bac pre-med program at Mills College, taking physics, biology, and o-chemistry, all with lab, all concurrently. It was grueling, but doable. Right after classes ended I started studying for the MCAT and took it in August. During my application year (August 2005 to now) I had to work, so I finished up my last two premed requirements by taking general chemistry with lab as a nighttime community college course, and genetics (required for OHSU) as an online course through Berkeley Extension. So, in total, only TWO years, including my application year, as a post-bac. I don't think that's all that bad. And I got into my first choice school and a couple of others. So, go for it, if medicine is what you want!
 
Well since my first year of post-bacc do-it-yourself didn't work out too well I'm not quitting. I know I have the potential to make it to med school. Honestly I don't see myself quitting at least for 3-4 years. 🙂 Then I'll just be a stay at home mom!
 
Well, let's see...

Non-science major with low GPA would require 2 years of undergrad coursework. One year would probably not be enough to boost that low GPA to a respectable number.

Then you apply. If you get no acceptances, you apply to SMPs around the country. Say you get into one, and attend. That's four years.

Now you apply a second time, with your SMP coursework. Now what if you don't get in anywhere? Here's I'd probably go DO - I'd pass on living in the islands for 4 years, and the DO stigma shrinks with each passing year - but would apply to the Carrib also. Given all the work that was done, you *should* be OK getting in somewhere. If not, I'd throw in the towel. So that's 5 years of work before giving up, 6 if your SMP took 2 years. Frankly, you'd have to be a pretty terrible applicant not to get in to *a* medical school after all that.

Of course, my plan only holds presuming an age of ~25. If I was 30, I'd aim for DO, rip through the prereqs in a year, then spend another year retaking the courses I did most poorly in to boost the DO GPA, and then apply. So the number of years for throwing in the towel for an older applicant would be less - probably 4 years.