ATC to DPT?

Started by gwyanski
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gwyanski

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a junior in high school and I know that I want to be a physical therapist. I want to do more of a sports focused physical therapy possibly with a team. I'm trying to decide what to pursue as my undergrad major. I'm liking ATC and was wondering if that's an acceptable major to go into DPT with. Any input is helpful thank you!
 
I'm currently in my first year of PT school, and we have an ATC who's head and shoulders above everyone else. Without a doubt, go for the ATC!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ATC is definitely a smart choice for your bachelor's degree if you are interested in PT. Also, if you decided that PT wasn't for you, you would have a degree that is more useful than say a degree in exercise physiology or kinesiology.
 
Yes, a few of us who graduated from PT school were already ATCs. It has also helped me with job interviews surprisingly. I have been told that I was considered for PT position despite being a new grad due to my being a certified athletic trainer. Also, a lot of the topics you learn in PT school will already be familiar to you due to your education in AT.
 
I agree. I think having the background an ATC has will only benefit you as a DPT student. Personally, I did not find my first year as challenging as my classmates due to my ATC background.