Athletics and ADCOMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miniman

No mountain too high to climb.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are athletes viewed by ADCOMS? I have run quite a bit and wonder how it would be viewed?
3x 13.1 (1:49:00.00)
1600m (4:02.052)(PR)(I ran this one on a workout and hurt myself... no official time... but it was clocked.)
I have also played rec baseball.
I play disc golf (not frisbee golf).

I get it if they do not view it as nice as leadership situations, but I would still think they would view it as admirable. Trying to accomplish these sorts of physical goals are hard both physically and even more so mentally.

@Goro made it seem that they don't matter in a recent post... why is that?

Thoughts... anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Collegiate athletics is one thing, athletics as a hobby is another. The first is viewed favorably, especially if the grades and MCAT are good, because it shows an ability to handle multiple commitments at the same time. The second is viewed as what is.... a hobby (i.e "wow, cool, great"). A lot of pre-meds are in good shape because they're inherently interested in health and wellness.
If its really important to you, I would write about it in your work/activities or a secondary. It isn't viewed unfavorably but it probably won't win you many points (if any).

Reactions: 2 users
Collegiate athletics is one thing, athletics as a hobby is another. The first is viewed favorably, especially if the grades and MCAT are good, because it shows an ability to handle multiple commitments at the same time. The second is viewed as what is.... a hobby (i.e "wow, cool, great"). A lot of pre-meds are in good shape because they're inherently interested in health and wellness.
If its really important to you, I would write about it in your work/activities or a secondary. It isn't viewed unfavorably but it probably won't win you many points (if any).
Cool. Thanks, yeah no college athlete here. I don't have time to do anything like that between school, work, and volunteering. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
How are athletes viewed by ADCOMS? I have run quite a bit and wonder how it would be viewed?
3x 13.1 (1:49:00.00)
1600m (4:02.052)(PR)(I ran this one on a workout and hurt myself... no official time... but it was clocked.)
I have also played rec baseball.
I play disc golf (not frisbee golf).

I get it if they do not view it as nice as leadership situations, but I would still think they would view it as admirable. Trying to accomplish these sorts of physical goals are hard both physically and even more so mentally.

@Goro made it seem that they don't matter in a recent post... why is that?

Thoughts... anyone?
Nice hobbies but that's about it. The bar for those type of things to be universally impressive is olympic/college/professional level. You may get an interviewer who likes to run and will ask about your times, but it's not going to give you a big boost.

Reactions: 1 user
I read the same post you are talking about, I don't think @Goro was trying to say that athletics are viewed unfavorably but that military service is viewed more favorably. If you look at the context of the conversation and what he said you'll see what i'm talking about!

I read the same post you are talking about, I don't think @Goro was trying to say that athletics are viewed unfavorably but that military service is viewed more favorably. If you look at the context of the conversation and what he said you'll see what i'm talking about!
OK, sorry! It was early in the morning, before coffee, when I was reading it! I will re-read it... Sorry for misunderstanding @Goro!

The only way it might help in your case is if your interviewer is also a runner, since it will be a conversation piece. The first thing my interviewer said to me was, "you're the athlete, right?". We talked about sports at both of the interviews I attended and it allowed the conversation to flow well. That being said, I didn't get in at either school.

Dang, if any interviewers know anything about running that'd be a conversation starter for sure! I probably wouldn't list times as if it's an athletic profile but that time in particular is especially impressive. Best of luck to your cycle!

Edit: With my second sentence I meant more along the lines of don't list them as you did in your OP; instead, note any standout performances in the past as you describe your experience.

Reactions: 1 users
With a time like that maybe you should be training professionally. I'm impressed at least

With a time like that maybe you should be training professionally. I'm impressed at least
Nah. I enjoy running. I trained myself by reading PubMed articles and having a spotter. I don't like running that much. I just loved the learning process

At 16 years old? I'd probably leave this accomplishment off. It would be at least 6 years ago or so by the time you graduate. Sounds a lot like Uncle Rico reliving the HS glory throwing a pig skin a quarter mile.
lol yeah... I still run, just not as hard. Ever since I ran a 1/2 marathon in the dead of summer by myself and ran out of water on mile 8 (5 miles no water in 89 degrees 80 percent humidity... that's hard on the mind and the body... to say the least.) I have a distaste for running very long. It's just what I put myself though and something I would never recommend to anyone.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't think about it that way! :)

You ran a 4:02 1600 and out of three half marathons your best was 1:49? Hmm...

To the question - if you claim to have run a 4:02 1600 as a high schooler on your med school application, you should have some official evidence to back it up. Or start a pro career now!

Reactions: 1 users
Did you really run a 4:02 1600m? I'm not saying you didn't but that's like D1 all-american level times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Did you really run a 4:02 1600m? I'm not saying you didn't but that's like D1 all-american level times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
Dude, I'm lying. Not.
Yes. I did run a 4:02 mile. I was trying to be the fastest 16y male in the 1600m. I did not succeed.

I wasn't a part of any track team because I was homeschooled( sadly). My parents didn't want me to run pro, so I didn't try. I like running too much anyway. For me its a hobby and not a lifestyle.

Last edited:
You ran a 4:02 1600 and out of three half marathons your best was 1:49? Hmm...

To the question - if you claim to have run a 4:02 1600 as a high schooler on your med school application, you should have some official evidence to back it up. Or start a pro career now!
I know. My marathon time was after a partial tare in my quad. I had to slow down... I literally can not break 5 minute miles anymore.

I don't want to start pro. I want to be a doctor, that's why I'm here and not on the track running right now.

In life, definitions vary between contexts. In the context of colleges and universities, specifically admissions, "athlete" usually means organized sports.

As far as putting things on a resume goes, listing one unofficial time from when you were 16 sounds a little silly, doesn't it? What you may want to do is list running as a long term hobby. That's more normal sounding. The people interviewing you will likely be in the weekend-warrior realm of XXXX sport, so why not connect on their level.

In life, definitions vary between contexts. In the context of colleges and universities, specifically admissions, "athlete" usually means organized sports.

As far as putting things on a resume goes, listing one unofficial time from when you were 16 sounds a little silly, doesn't it? What you may want to do is list running as a long term hobby. That's more normal sounding. The people interviewing you will likely be in the weekend-warrior realm of XXXX sport, so why not connect on their level.
I didn't think of it that way. :) it does sound silly! Lol!