Test Tools Atlas of Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thieme

Test Prep Exhibitor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
pubid-455606490.jpg
Atlas of Anatomy
By Gilroy et al.
$74.95

Preview a Sample Chapter

Everything you need to master human anatomy -- all in one place

Complete with exquisite, full-color illustrations by award-winning artists Markus Voll and Karl Wesker, the atlas is organized to lead you step-by-step through each region of the body.

Features:
  • 2,200 full-color illustrations of unsurpassed quality
  • Brief introductory texts that provide an accessible entry point when a new topic is presented
  • Clinical correlates and images, including radiographs, MRIs, CT scans, and endoscopic views
  • Muscle Fact pages that organize the essentials, including origin, insertion, and innervation--ideal for memorization, reference, and review
  • Navigators that orient you with location and plane of dissection

This atlas is also available in hardcover or with Latin Nomenclature.

Thieme will be giving away one free copy of this book to one lucky number! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion. Don't fret if you didn't win the raffle, members will receive a 15% discount on all books when they enter promo code UDOC15 during checkout on www.thieme.com.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a classmate who used a Theime atlas in our anatomy course and I remember that it was split into 2-3 volumes rather than a single book. Is this book a single condensed version of all of those volumes?

If the actual book is purchased, do you also offer an electronic text version of it as well (included with your purchase)?

Members don't see this ad :)
The softcover version of Atlas of Anatomy is 9in x 11in and weights 4.1 pounds, which is a bit smaller than most textbooks. We designed the book for this size to make it cheaper and more manageable for students to carry.

Last edited:
If the actual book is purchased, do you also offer an electronic text version of it as well (included with your purchase)?
At this time, we do not sell an accompanying electronic version of this book.

However, each book comes with a scratch-off code, which you can use to access hundreds of images from the book on WinkingSkull.com. On this website, you will be able to study and test yourself instantly on material from the book. You can register for a free account by clicking here.

Does this book provide a suggested method for learning anatomy?

I have a classmate who used a Theime atlas in our anatomy course and I remember that it was split into 2-3 volumes rather than a single book. Is this book a single condensed version of all of those volumes?
Yes, the Atlas of Anatomy was created using the materials from the three-volume THIEME Atlas of Anatomy (General Anatomy and Musculoskeletal System, Neck and Internal Organs, and Head and Neuroanatomy). It shares more than half the art (2000 of the 3800 pieces and an additional 200 original illustrations) in about half the pages; has the same two-page spread format for introducing/teaching anatomical concepts (but all spreads have been reconceptualized for this more condensed coverage); includes much information in 200 tables, all that new or reframed; highlights clinical coverage in boxes; includes more extensive radiologic anatomy; and has special sections devoted to surface anatomy.

The three-volume series with its extensive captions and greater coverage especially of neuroanatomy is more of a text atlas, if one wishes to make a comparison.

Last edited:
This looks like it would be a very valuable resource!

Does this book provide a suggested method for learning anatomy?
Yes, it does. The atlas is intuitively arranged to simplify the learning process. Coverage of each region of the body begins with the skeletal framework and then adds muscles, vasculature, and nerves, and finally presents the topographic anatomy for a comprehensive overview ( building the layers and then putting it all together). Within each chapter, each two-page spread provides a self-contained guide to a specific anatomical concept. The flow of art and descriptive captions on a spread guides learning and absorption of information. Labeling on illustrations has been carefully controlled to keep it manageable and focused on the purpose for which the illustrations is being used on that spread. Schematics are included to elucidate concepts and over 200 tables summarize key information. Clinical correlations to anatomy are highlighted in boxes, radiographic images show anatomy as it is seen in the clinical setting, and surface anatomy spreads for each region, with questions and answers emphasize, the surface land marks that help doctors in the physical examination.

I have friends who got this book who absolutely love it for both the well-drawn diagrams and the very (very) nice schematic diagrams of the vasculature.

How are your online offerings organized and presented content-wise?

I have friends who got this book who absolutely love it for both the well-drawn diagrams and the very (very) nice schematic diagrams of the vasculature.

How are your online offerings organized and presented content-wise?
Thank you for your feedback, we are proud of the work our authors and artists did on our diagrams and schematics and think they will help students understand complicated anatomical relationships more easily.

Our online offerings are available on WinkingSkull.com. They are organized according to region, just like in the atlas. Users can vary the image presentation: there are options to study using the "labels-on, labels-off" function, to try a test using our timed assessment tools, and to compare scores to those of other users. There are three levels of access to WinkingSkull: Free, Plus, and PRO.

- The free version of this website provides access to 232 stunning images.

- When you purchase Atlas of Anatomy or Anatomy Flash Cards: Anatomy on the Go, you gain exclusive access to nearly 450 images from Atlas of Anatomy as well as key muscle fact tables featured in the book. In addition, users gain access to exclusive clinical content. This material includes MRIs, CT scans, and sectional anatomy with explanatory schematics. You may access WinkingSkull.com PLUS by entering the unique code printed beneath the scratch-off panel in your product.

- In the PRO version you subscribe to the site for the length of time that best suits your studying needs. With your subscription, you gain access to more than 1,700 images from Atlas of Anatomy as well as exclusive clinical material from Thieme's radiology publications (MRIs, CT scans, and sectional anatomy with explanatory schematics).

1 month $29.95
3 months $39.95
6 months $59.95
Panic Package $24.00 for 24 hours

Extend any of these packages before your subscription expires, and you will receive a 5% discount. WinkingSkull.com PLUS users receive a 10% discount when they purchase or extend their subscription.

Does the atlas or the WingSkull online include test or summary questions?

Also, thank you for answering my question in the Flash card thread. It is good to know that the access is permanent.

I've noticed that a lot of medical books have extremely poor indices. Does this atlas' index cover all anatomic names?

Does the atlas or the WingSkull online include test or summary questions?

Also, thank you for answering my question in the Flash card thread. It is good to know that the access is permanent.
Neither includes test questions if you are talking here of multiple choice fact or clinical scenario questions for review or USMLE preparation. However, WinkingSkull.com is a student study site that does allow for self-test and review of anatomy using our "labels-on, labels-off" testing function and our timed, graded assessment tools.

We are developing test questions for this site and they should be available in the near future.

I've noticed that a lot of medical books have extremely poor indices. Does this atlas' index cover all anatomic names?
We have indexed all of the anatomic names presented in the Atlas, but every appearance of that anatomic name on an illustration has not been indexed. Indexing, to be valuable, is much more than a ranked word search. It is designed to direct the reader to substantive and focused presentations of the indexed structures and not to the dozens of other mentions where the structure may have been identified to provide context but is not the focus of what is being taught.

Sorry if this is a n00b question, but what does "Navigators that orient you with location and plane of dissection" mean? Is that just some sort of description that goes with the pictures or part of the pictures themselves?

Sorry if this is a n00b question, but what does "Navigators that orient you with location and plane of dissection" mean? Is that just some sort of description that goes with the pictures or part of the pictures themselves?
This is a great question! Navigators are small diagrams that illustrate a "zoomed out" version of where the structure depicted is located, for instance a navigator would show you where on the skull a bone is located, the illustration would show the details of the bone. Navigators help readers understand where the structure is located and from which angle it is viewed. An example can be found on page 23 of the sample: the navigator shows you where the two transverse sections are located.

I really like the quality of Thieme anatomy books. Does thieme publish any anatomy books geared more toward surgical exposures?

At this time, we do not sell an accompanying electronic version of this book.

However, each book comes with a scratch-off code, which you can use to access hundreds of images from the book on WinkingSkull.com. On this website, you will be able to study and test yourself instantly on material from the book. You can register for a free account by clicking here.
I have a question more about this. The online content, can it be downloaded and say sent to my iphone for studying on the go when I don't have the book and the internet isn't available.

Also, maybe this is Naive but every time I have seen a CT it has required scrolling and adjusting on a computer screen. Does the atlas just show selected layers and not every single one in print? Is there an example of a CT from the text that you can post?

I have a quick question: Are there practice questions/ blank diagrams for us to test our knowledge? Thanks!

are there any suggestions on how to dissect in the atlas or is it just a pure atlas? what information is included in addition to the pictures?