ATLS course...med students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canuck MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if 1st, 2nd and 3rd year medical students can take the ATLS course or is it strictly reserved for 4th yr and physicians? I've emailed the ACS but havn't received a response as of yet.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Best bet is to contact your nearest EM residency or General Surgery residency, as surgeons also take ATLS. When I was a wee medical student, I heard that as long as you volunteered to be a "moulage patient" you could take the course for free, but you audited it, you didn't actually become ATLS certified... whihc is still cool cause you can do all the labs and sit through all the lectures.

BTW, is anyone out there an ATLS instructor? Our program is willing ot pay for us to become instructors... was wondering about this opportunity (CV buffer as well as $$$, but its only $200 each day you teach).

Q, DO

hey guys

It's a funny coincidence...I actually just completed ATLS today...the written test is really a pain in the butt...scraped by fortunately. As a med student, I definitely would wait to take it unless you get it for free. If you go into EM, your residency will most likely put you through it for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've think you've summed it up well. Good for CV but not a lot of money.

Most of my profs are ATLS instructors and they do it because they have to/they like to teach and I think they get CME credit. I'm taking it tomorrow so I'll ask.

That's great that your program would have you teach ATLS.

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
BTW, is anyone out there an ATLS instructor?

Unfortunately no - I got instructor potential a couple years back, but none of my commands have let me go back to take the instructor course. I'm planning on doing that when I get back...

On a side-note:

Was anyone else an ACLS & PALS instructor before starting residency? Did they make you take them again during orientation even though you've already been teaching the class?

I audited it as a second year pa student on my trauma surgery elective and had a great time. have also taken it several times since( q 4 yrs). as an auditor you complete the whole course with full participation but get a cme certificate instead of a certification card.

I was wondering the same thing.........I'm only a second year, but an ACLS instructor. I see that most residencies during the first year put you through PALS, ACLS etc.....

If you are an instructor do they still make you go through the class you can instruct?

thanks

At our program, if we were already certified, we didn't have to take it. We do have to keep our xCLS up to date, though. We had to have ACLS, PALS, NALS, and ATLS. It varies amongst the program what they'll require.

Q, DO