ATLS simulation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salamechton

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will soon be taking the ATLS course. I heard the failure rate is quite high. I did okay on the pretest, read the book and feel I can pass the written portion. However, I am pretty nervous about the simulation. Could anyone share how the simulation is structured? Are we all taking turn as "team leader"? Standardized patients or high fidelity manikin? What to expect, procedures etc (the book has so many skills to master)? How long is the simulation?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You will have an opportunity to practice a couple times before taking the real simulation. They are moulage scenarios with people who have been given a specific scenario and have makeup to simulate injuries. We use high school kids and they get credit for volunteering/community service. There should also be some equipment in the room but you don't need to use it just verbalized landmarks/describe what you would do. Depending on the scenario you may be shown imaging to interpret. The scenarios should take about 10-15 mins max to get through.

A little stress is good but don't stress too much. A lot of things places tell people the failure rate is high but IMHO it isn't. The fact that you've read the book is good because there is material in there that is on the test but isn't in the lectures. The imaging is obvious imaging not anything sneaky. They are not trying to fail you.

Reactions: 1 users
IIRC, the scenarios are very much the extreme presentation - i.e. guy with makeup-created stab wound on his chest wall pretending to be in respiratory distress who tells you his trachea is deviated. As above, they are not trying to trick you with the diagnosis. Remember to stick to your ABCs first, and in order, even if there are distractions presented.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Disclaimer: ATLS instructor

remember your ABCs, if the patient condition changes circle back to your ABCs, remember the goal is not necessarily definitive management but stabilization and transfer to higher level of care when appropriate. take the practice scenarios seriously and ask for feedback. no one is trying to trick you