ATP bond energy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyohomieg5432

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
this question is from a TPR passage. The passage itself is irrelevant, I'm just confused with the statement about ATP's energy. I narrowed it down to answers C and D. The breaking of the bond does require energy, but doesn't it also release energy? (hence how ATP provides energy to a cell..?)

Is this question badly worded or am I missing something here?

Members don't see this ad.

Anytime you create bonds, energy is released, and anytime you break bonds, energy is consumed. I think this is just testing your fundamental knowledge that breaking the bonds in ATP is an endothermic process. Just an assumption.

An increase in energy is always required when breaking bonds, while forming bonds releases energy.

Anytime you create bonds, energy is released, and anytime you break bonds, energy is consumed. I think this is just testing your fundamental knowledge that breaking the bonds in ATP is an endothermic process. Just an assumption.

ATP hydrolysis is assuredly not an endothermic process. If that were the case, the energy-coupled reactions the drive metabolic processes would not be possible. The energy required to break the anhydride bonds of ATP (the transition state) is represented by the activation energy on the energy diagram.

If that's what you meant by endothermic, then I apologize.

To call it endo or exothermic would be kind of a stretch for the purposes of MCAT I assume.

It requires energy to remove the phosphate, thus breaking the bond(activation energy in a sense).

Once the phosphate is gone the at ADP Stabilizes by forming new bonds, and the overall energy of the molecule is lowered, the energy released is utilized by muscles, ion channels, active transport,... ect

Your specific questions is not asking about ATP, like i said this kind of a stretch for the MCAT, it is asking a basic fundamental question about bond chem: BREAKING BONDS ALWAYS REQUIRES ENERGY. Whether it was ATP or H20 or O2 it doesn't matter.

FYI since ATP to ADP is a 2 step process, if they asked "is the formation of ADP from ATP endothermic or exothermic?" ....it would be exo(because the 2nd step releases ALOT more energy then the 1st step requires.

Members don't see this ad :)
An increase in energy is always required when breaking bonds, while forming bonds releases energy.

ATP hydrolysis is assuredly not an endothermic process. If that were the case, the energy-coupled reactions the drive metabolic processes would not be possible. The energy required to break the anhydride bonds of ATP (the transition state) is represented by the activation energy on the energy diagram.

If that's what you meant by endothermic, then I apologize.

Calling it endothermic was rather poor wording on my part.

Breaking the phosphate bonds requires energy. Like NeverBackDown said, it is the formation of the subsequent bonds that stabilizes the production of ADP and energy.

To break bonds, you need energy and water
To make bonds, you release energy and water