Atsu - Soma!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StringerBell

It's the final countdown!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A visit to the ATSU website has solved the dilemma...the new campus in MESA will be referred to as "SOMA," the School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona. While they're probably aware that there is another osteopathic school in Arizona, I think they really like the name, and it has a nice ring to it. SOMA. :)

In any case, hopefully all ATSU (Mesa) discussion will be moved to this thread, now that we have its official name. Besides which, I was getting tired of seeing the ":(" next to the ATSU thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Ill help you get this thread started Stringer!!

I have to say i am so excited about getting started up with this program, not only because of the new curriculum but all the support and excitement we are getting from the CHCs. Man, i was so impressed with Lutheran Family HealthCare CHC in Brooklyn, and seeing the other email links to the other CHC websites makes me excited for all of us AT SOMA ers. I think it will be really cool interacting via video conferencing with all the CHC sites. Think about it, you will be updating everyone about patients and issues with migrant farmworkers in Visalia, while someone else talks about health problems of indigenous Hawaiians from Hawaii, someone else will be telling us about new diseases becoming prevalent in the rural black population in Alabama, or issues surfacing in native american peoples in Arizona and we in Brooklyn talk about medical issues we are seeing with immigrant populations coming in from Asia and Africa.

This to me is pretty exciting!!!!!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :love:

Heres to then first medical school truly dedicated to community, underserved medicine!!!

In any case, hopefully all ATSU (Mesa) discussion will be moved to this thread, now that we have its official name. Besides which, I was getting tired of seeing the ":(" next to the ATSU thread.

LOL, I was bothered by the frowny face too! I wondered if there was a way to get rid of it because it made the school look bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A visit to the ATSU website has solved the dilemma...the new campus in MESA will be referred to as "SOMA," the School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona. While they're probably aware that there is another osteopathic school in Arizona, I think they really like the name, and it has a nice ring to it. SOMA. :)

SOMA = Student Osteopathic Medical Association

Soma (carisoprodol) is also the name of a muscle relaxer.

Sounds like the powers that be didnt Google the name first.

it's a lot better of a name than the future school in washington

it's a lot better of a name than the future school in washington

Slightly off-topic, but somewhat amusing story...

Before "That 70's Show" ever aired, it was called something else. But when screened for critics, the critics never remembered the title, and just referred to it as "That 70's Show" and gave it rave reviews. The producers decided to stick with it, and that's how the show got its title.

(Personally, I can't stand the show...)

Anyone know how late ATSU Mesa is interviewing? I turned in my application just before the deadline and I'm wondering if I have any chance of getting an interview. Also, for those accepted, do you have any idea what the avg MCAT/GPA of accepted students is. You can PM me with your stats if you like. Thanks!
I think they only have one day left for interview and the class is already filled.

I stole this post from over on the ATSU-Mesa frowny-face thread. I encourage everyone to abandon that thread and move to this one, sans frowny-face, and with the brand-spankin' new ATSU-SOMA name. :)

Has anyone heard anything from the 4/19 interview? I haven't gotten any response to my emails.

I still haven't heard anything from 4/12. Hang in there.

Don't forget that soma is also the name of the happiness-inducing drug in Aldous Huxley's novel Brave New World.

From wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma_(Brave_New_World)

"In the novel, soma is an "opiate of the masses" that replaces religion and alcohol in a peaceful, but immoral, high-tech society far in the future. Soma, a narcotic tranquilizer in tablet and vapor form, is regularly taken by all members of society in order to produce feelings of euphoric happiness."

Hi everyone!!! I was just wondering if anyone will be attending the So. Cal dinner put on by AT Still on Tuesday May 8th at Yardhouse in Rancho Cucamonga? I will be going and I hope more of you will too!!! I don't want to be the only one there!! :laugh:

I understand that congratulations are in order, aberkovi.

Yes, Thank you!

Did you see the other thread, or have you tapped my phones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!!! I was just wondering if anyone will be attending the So. Cal dinner put on by AT Still on Tuesday May 8th at Yardhouse in Rancho Cucamonga? I will be going and I hope more of you will too!!! I don't want to be the only one there!! :laugh:

Soccergirl,

I will also be attending! Driving all the way out to Rancho Cucamonga!!

Last I heard from Rachel there are 2 DO Students (you And I), and some PA students. Maybe, some others have joined up over the last week.

yeah that is going to be confusing, I just clicked on this thread to see what was so exciting about ATSU's SOMA (student osteopathic med assn.) chapter that it needed its own thread.

Soccergirl,

I will also be attending! Driving all the way out to Rancho Cucamonga!!

Last I heard from Rachel there are 2 DO Students (you And I), and some PA students. Maybe, some others have joined up over the last week.

I know i am driving from long beach, do you know why they chose rancho? do people live out thereor what? oh well, i think it will be nice to meet you at least!!!!! :thumbup:

Don't forget that soma is also the name of the happiness-inducing drug in Aldous Huxley's novel Brave New World.

From wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma_(Brave_New_World)

"In the novel, soma is an "opiate of the masses" that replaces religion and alcohol in a peaceful, but immoral, high-tech society far in the future. Soma, a narcotic tranquilizer in tablet and vapor form, is regularly taken by all members of society in order to produce feelings of euphoric happiness."

I'm glad someone else caught this too. Maybe I'm not the only English major here. :)

I am applying to SOMA this year for Fall 2008 and will also take some soma when I get home. Though I wish the soma I have was the same as Aldous Huxley's.

I know i am driving from long beach, do you know why they chose rancho? do people live out thereor what? oh well, i think it will be nice to meet you at least!!!!! :thumbup:

Hey!! Im also from the LBC!!, but ill be driving from East los since ill be at Cal State LA at the time! I live in downtown L. B by Pike and 6th. . .:cool:

Anyone else on the Alternate List at SOMA? I figure that with the final interviews being last week, they will be addressing the Alternate List soon. I called Joyce this am (who is out of the office this week, but still checking emails) to follow up again. Some of the posts are stating that many of the CHC sites are filled up, but is that with students that have been given acceptance offers or by students who have accepted those offers (ie. sent in letters of intent, paying deposits, etc.)??

Anyone else on the Alternate List at SOMA? I figure that with the final interviews being last week, they will be addressing the Alternate List soon.

Hey Climber-
This probably doesn't help you very much, but there is hope. I was waitlisted the day after I interviewed, and then by the very next week (next ADCOM meeting), I was accepted. So there's some movement for ya. :)

Climber512

I am on the alternate list too. It is my understanding, from the doctors I work with, that somewhere in the middle of May is a date in which all students have to make their final decision about which school they will be attending. At that time, they are only allowed to hold one seat at any of the medical schools, thus freeing up many seats from people holding seats at multiple schools. I believe this is when we could really start noticing some movement from the waitlist.

I don't know about you, but I feel that the alternate list is harder to deal with than just a flat out rejection. Because with a rejection you could decide your next step. Being on the alternate list for months seems like it puts your life on hold. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there is still hope. However, this waiting has really worn me down. Hang in there, I am.

I am on the alternate list too. It is my understanding, from the doctors I work with, that somewhere in the middle of May is a date in which all students have to make their final decision

There has been some discussion about this topic in other threads...basically, May 15 is the hard-and-fast deadline for M.D. schools, but for D.O. schools, no one seems to know if this is true. Just by conjecture (i.e., what I've heard at interviews, and from other D.O. applicants), the waitlists will move according to payment of deposits. If accepted students don't make their deposits, or arrangements to do so, that will essentially "free up" a spot for an alternate. And because D.O. deposits are so high (thousands of dollars as opposed to a hundred or so at M.D. schools), students will not pay multiple deposits to hold spots. However, with that being said, waitlist movement should probably be expected around the same time, by late May.

Climber512

I am on the alternate list too. It is my understanding, from the doctors I work with, that somewhere in the middle of May is a date in which all students have to make their final decision about which school they will be attending. At that time, they are only allowed to hold one seat at any of the medical schools, thus freeing up many seats from people holding seats at multiple schools. I believe this is when we could really start noticing some movement from the waitlist.

I don't know about you, but I feel that the alternate list is harder to deal with than just a flat out rejection. Because with a rejection you could decide your next step. Being on the alternate list for months seems like it puts your life on hold. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there is still hope. However, this waiting has really worn me down. Hang in there, I am.

Sherlock- Joyce replied to an email yesterday and I got a bit of an update. She said there is one more interview date this week (one more than I thought) and that at this time there are 35 acceptance invites in limbo. I asked how many people had firmly accepted at SOMA and which sites were actually filled with these firm acceptances, but she didn't answer these questions. She said that in 2-3 weeks we should be seeing waitlist movement. As for last possible date to find out, I had 2 friends last year that got calls on the Monday before orientation that was on Friday....5 days later!

I feel your pain about waiting. At this time I am planning my fall as if I don't get in this year, but its really hard to start the MCAT prep again, getting volunteering time set up again, doing more research, rewriting my personal statement, etc with the chance of not having to do all that in the back of my head.

I just confirmed an interview for the 11th....hopefully it's not for a waitlist spot!

Just bringing this back from the edge of oblivion aka page 2!!

Any new SOMAers??
:idea:

hey guys! i'm new here, but i just couldn't wait any longer! did anyone here from the 4/26 interview date?

I interviewed on 4/19 and I still haven't heard anything. I got an email response on Monday saying they are behind on their decisions. And I should know something this week, but now it is Friday...

I would just like to congratulate those who have been accepted and are going to attend ATSU in the fall, and say good luck to those who are still waiting. For those who had interviews in April; I had mine on the 12th and accepted the following Monday (and there were only 2 CHC's to choose from at that time). I'm looking forward to the upcoming year and can't wait to meet you all, shoot me an email if you'd like. <[email protected]>

I would just like to congratulate those who have been accepted and are going to attend ATSU in the fall, and say good luck to those who are still waiting. For those who had interviews in April; I had mine on the 12th and accepted the following Monday (and there were only 2 CHC's to choose from at that time). I'm looking forward to the upcoming year and can't wait to meet you all, shoot me an email if you'd like. <[email protected]>

HEY HUSKER4LIFE WHICH CHC ARE ASSIGNED TO?

I was accepted into the Milford CHC; how about yourself?

Has anyone heard of any interviews passed April 26th? I got an interview at Mesa on May 11th, but I thought that April 26th was the last day of interviews?

It sounds presumptuous, but the only thing I can think of is that they are interviewing me because have worked alot with the Hmong people in Visalia, CA and they have a CHC in Visalia that helps the Hmong people. Does the fact that I speak Hmong have any bearing on that?

Anyway, I thought that I was so late in applying that I had no chance. What do you guys think?

Has anyone heard of any interviews passed April 26th? I got an interview at Mesa on May 11th, but I thought that April 26th was the last day of interviews?

It sounds presumptuous, but the only thing I can think of is that they are interviewing me because have worked alot with the Hmong people in Visalia, CA and they have a CHC in Visalia that helps the Hmong people. Does the fact that I speak Hmong have any bearing on that?

Anyway, I thought that I was so late in applying that I had no chance. What do you guys think?

If they extended an interview, it means they still have spaces open. I heard the only CHC's still open were the Midwestern ones, but maybe they've had cancellations. They try to match you to your CHC based on some common ground, so your connection to the Hmong people would make you a good candidate for Visallia.

What I have heard from one of the school deans is that SOMA could have filled the class early in the cycle due to the number of applicants--but, because they are looking for a specific type of student, ones interested and truly demonstrating commitment to underserved medicine they are being very selective. The fact you still have an interview in May, and with what you mentioned about your background, I am sure you still have a good chance of getting into the class. Its sounds like you are the type of student the school is looking to attract. Good Luck!! Piece of advice--just be yourself, and be true to your experinces and desire to work in underserved medicine(if that is your intention) and im sure you will have an excellent interview. Look at previous posts to see what type of interview ??? you can expect.

I thought that the overall atmosphere there was very friendly and laid back. You should be fine lateapp, like you said the fact you are still interviewing in May should give you an idea that spots are still available. Also from the sound of it you have qualities that they are looking for in a future student, and don't be afraid to let then know the work that you've done with that community. Good Luck!

has anyone gone and looked at any of the suggested apartments or perhaps already know where they are going to live? i am trying to figure out when i am going out to az to scout out my possible livving space, however i was just hoping for some heads-up before i venture out there, thanks!!! also cant wait to meet those of you going to the dinner tomorrow night!!!

has anyone gone and looked at any of the suggested apartments or perhaps already know where they are going to live?

I'm headed out there next month to look at places. I picked up a couple of brochures from places while I was there, though. I thought Sandbridge was going to be nice, and very close to campus, but I read some unfavorable opinions about it. :/

I'm looking for one roommate to rent a house with (3 bed, 3 bath). Haven't found the house yet, but my sister is a real estate agent. It'll be close to school, rent would be about $300-400 (400 is tops). Me and my current roommate have two small puppies (small poodles - Tobias Funke and Andrew Jackson). Also, me and my roommate are musicians, so someone who appreciates or plays music would be great. We're just terrified of not finding another roommate who isn't crazy.

Any takers?

Hey guys, I read a post on the ATSU-soma accepted page that people are getting responses from the 4/19 interview date. Has anyone else heard from that date or from the 4/26 date also? Thanks for all your help!!

Hey ToGodALLGlory,

I applied late and am waiting for interview. When did you get a notice for the may 11th interview? I am still hoping, even though it is very late. This is the program I want and don't want to give up. Did they email you or call you?

Hey guys, I read a post on the ATSU-soma accepted page that people are getting responses from the 4/19 interview date. Has anyone else heard from that date or from the 4/26 date also? Thanks for all your help!!

After speaking with Joyce a week or so ago concerning alternate list movement, she said that in about a week from today (so around 5/14) waitlisters should start hearing something. I would assume then that the acceptances from 4/26 should be phoned pretty soon. I received a letter about 10-12 days after my interview stating that I was on the alternate list. I am hoping they jump on the acceptances for the last interviews this Thursday (5/10) so that I can find out one way or the other.

Hey ToGodALLGlory,

I applied late and am waiting for interview. When did you get a notice for the may 11th interview? I am still hoping, even though it is very late. This is the program I want and don't want to give up. Did they email you or call you?

I got the interview email on 04/27. I had to cancel yesterday though because we just couldn't afford to send me to Arizona with so many expenses hitting us right now. Hopefully you'll hear something soon--good luck!

Hey ToGodALLGlory,

I also got my email on 4/27. Good luck! Hopefully I will see you there.

Just in case anyone is wondering.....

I finally got a little more info from Joyce today concerning Alternate List stuff. They were not as prompt letting the last group of candidates know about their acceptances, so many found out a week or so after their interviews and therefore dragging things out even more for anyone waiting on the Alternate List. Joyce said that next week they should have more info concerning movement and a better idea of exactly how many spots need filled.

Joyce said that next week they should have more info concerning movement and a better idea of exactly how many spots need filled.

In all likelihood, I will be withdrawing from SOMA and attending Touro-NV in the fall. So sad that I won't get to make the acquaintance of everyone here, but Touro is probably a better fit for me.

Hope someone on SDN gets my spot!

GOOD LUCK Stringer! And good luck to all of those who are on the waitlist!

In all likelihood, I will be withdrawing from SOMA and attending Touro-NV in the fall. So sad that I won't get to make the acquaintance of everyone here, but Touro is probably a better fit for me.

Hope someone on SDN gets my spot!

Enjoy Las Vegas!! Dont spend too much time on the blackjack or poker tables:D

Best of Luck!!

Just in case anyone is wondering.....

I finally got a little more info from Joyce today concerning Alternate List stuff. They were not as prompt letting the last group of candidates know about their acceptances, so many found out a week or so after their interviews and therefore dragging things out even more for anyone waiting on the Alternate List. Joyce said that next week they should have more info concerning movement and a better idea of exactly how many spots need filled.

Any new word from Joyce on the alternate list? She told me that there were only 45 people on it and that they are ranking it, but didn't say when. I hope they hurry. The laptops that you have to buy take 6 weeks to get to you. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time as we are about 8 weeks away from the begining of class!

Any new word from Joyce on the alternate list? She told me that there were only 45 people on it and that they are ranking it, but didn't say when. I hope they hurry.

Lateapp (and other waitlisters!)-

I sent in my withdrawal letter via snail-mail today. So by next week, there should be one more available seat. Good luck with this and other waitlists!

I hope I get your spot. Your CHC is the one that I want!