attachment theory and behavior problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missnan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if any child psychologists or those in training can help me with this case: 6 years and two months old caucasian girl. Intact family, mom 38, dad 44, brother 3.5 yrs. Very wealthy family. Identified as jewish, child is enrolled in a pvt jewish school. Childs developmental and psych hx unremarkable thus far but medically she suffers from anal fissures and constipation. Child has had multiple caregivers since birth (baby nurse, day nanny, night nanny, weekend nanny) currently there are only two of three nannies who have been with the family for any significant length of time (longest is day nanny about 5 yrs, night nanny was brothers baby nurse so 3.5 yrs). Unclear whether child was breastfed. Child currently exhibits interpersonal difficulties. Very parentified and bossy toward brother and bossy with peers. Extreme difficulty accepting any limits -- often can not tolerate "no". Manipulative and negotiates to get what she wants. Makes statements to adults such as "I hate you, I will have you fired, you are a mean bad person" etc etc. Child hits and punches family members and peers seemingly at random and during "play" but also occassionally when she doesn't get her way (though she usually "pouts, whines, cries, negotiates" until the exhausted adult party acquiesces to whatever is being demanded). Presence of nocturnal enuresis almost every night but usually at least three nights/week -- sleeps with a pull up which she and parents call her "diaper" -- unclear whether nocturnal control was ever acheived. Nightmares several times per month about "mean adults that leave her alone or punish her". Often viewed as "rude and defiant". Parents seem superficially involved but have limited face to face contact -- mother seems particularly indulgent (presents are given out constantly as "rewards" for being sick, or doing something the child doesn't want to do). Child is also slightly overweight. Child usually seems excited to talk about/see mother but is quick to get angry with her. Enjoys playing board games but has difficulty accepting a loss and tries to cheat. Strengths are: intelligent, strong vocabulary, interest in drawing and art, interested in playing "pretend" From an attachment perspective would she be classified as anxious-ambivalent? How much of what is being exhibited is the "normal" 6 year old tension? What behavioral interventions would be recommended? Rules seem to be created but then arbitrarily enforced. Any thoughts, suggestions and insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

As per SDN's TOS we are unable to provide personal/medical advice. Good luck.

MOD

This is a very detailed description of the family you're seeing - you should not be posting this level of detail on the internet without the family's permission. I suggest you edit it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
lazure said:
This is a very detailed description of the family you're seeing - you should not be posting this level of detail on the internet without the family's permission.

I know this is not intentionally unethical but shouldn't this post be deleted?

Just to clear up....this isn't a child I am seeing in private practice but a "case example" from my program...I am asking for input re: dx if any at all...I don't think she qualifies for separation anxiety or conduct d/o or any of the other "typical" childhood d/o's....my prof is very into attachment theory and attachment d/o's...I'm wondering if anyone has input

Oh, you just want help with homework :) should have made that clear earlier...