Attending Conferences and Workshops as a SPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoSparta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you all know, most of us students are in debt and using loans.

There's a lot of good events I'd like to attend, but am unsure if I am making a smart decision financially. For example, one upcoming workshop is with a pro sport's teams workshop PT's, ATC's, S&C Coaches, and physicians presenting on shoulder and hip pathologies. Although it's would be an awesome learning and networking experience, it's about $400 with a student discount. Did you all lean toward taking the financial hit for these things?

Note: I know some companies or shady "certifications" put on poor workshops just to earn some money, but I do my research on the speakers and the agenda.

Members don't see this ad.

As you all know, most of us students are in debt and using loans.

There's a lot of good events I'd like to attend, but am unsure if I am making a smart decision financially. For example, one upcoming workshop is with a pro sport's teams workshop PT's, ATC's, S&C Coaches, and physicians presenting on shoulder and hip pathologies. Although it's would be an awesome learning and networking experience, it's about $400 with a student discount. Did you all lean toward taking the financial hit for these things?

Note: I know some companies or shady "certifications" put on poor workshops just to earn some money, but I do my research on the speakers and the agenda.

That is probably not a smart decision financially. It doesn't make sense to pay for continuing education that you don't need with borrowed funds.

If you're going to spend money, I'd save it up and spend it on attending CSM or NSC.

Members don't see this ad :)
With my limited experience I am optimistic that a competent employer will see value in a new grad that holds credentials such as CSCS, MDT ect. coming out of DPT school. It shows a lot of positive qualities in the new grad/studens. I would be very interested to see what an employer thinks about this.

Although that may be true, I meant more along the lines of conferences that don't hand out anything, but going for purely the knowledge and networking. Thanks for the input everyone!

PT school is three years of continuing education. You don't need con-ed right now. Go to NSC or CSM if you think you are doing well in your classes. I never went simply because I was afraid to fall behind in my classes. You might want to go to the state conferences. They're less expensive and you can usually drive.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it's a smart financial choice. As a student I had the opportunity to attend a couple APTA annual conferences and sit in on a few 'big name' courses that I helped organize, for free. While they can be a great plac to network and get kind of pumped about your future, I didn't get much out of either educationally. As a student already spending so much time in class, I found them generally overwhelming. Those courses will all be there after you graduate, and you will be able to actually use the earned CEUs for license renewal. Hopefully your employer will help foot the bill too.

However, you may want to look into what your local district of your state board has to offer now. Here, they offer an hour course and great networking time monthly, all free.

Agree with some of the posts above. PT school gives someone a foundation. Without that foundation, you may not gain much from continuing ed. I think it's wiser to go to district or state events for networking or professional ed opportunities, but save the meaty PT cont Ed for after you're licensed. You'll have a different perspective and understand the material more deeply.