Attending/Faculty position and ACGME-training at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard of people who kept their faculty positions, but simultaneously enrolled in training residency/fellowship programs which they participated in on their weeks off. e.g. neonatologists and ED physicians that do not have to attend daily.
Has anyone else heard of this type of arrangement?

I am interested in doing more training, but don't want to give up my current position.
Are there any program directors on here that know if there are any specific rules regarding this?

I also know someone who essentially did pediatric residency while still being an ICU physician with a full-time job (foreign trained).

Members don't see this ad.

'Moonlighting' is essentially having a job outside of the training program, and has to be approved by the program director. In residency, this means you can't violate duty hours in the combination of your training job and your moonlighting job, which essentially makes it impossible to hold a full time job. In fellowship, I do not believe there are duty hour restrictions, but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

'In fellowship, I do not believe there are duty hour restrictions, but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Uhh, yes, there absolutely are work hour restrictions just as there would be for a PGY 5 in general surgery.

In the right circumstances you might be able to make this work. But the combinations would have to be *just* right. and you'd have to have a program director who was fully on board. Like maybe a neonatologist could get through a medical genetics residency (sorry to the genetics people if I complete underestimated your training). A neurocritical care fellowship for a practicing neurologist or intensivist might work if they let you extend it out to two years. I personally looked into Emergency Medical Services (out of Emergency Medicine) and the funding situation as a non-adult EM provider would have required me to have "another" job. The academic work product required by the ABP makes it harder to do with boarded pediatric subspecialties.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Uhh, yes, there absolutely are work hour restrictions just as there would be for a PGY 5 in general surgery.

In the right circumstances you might be able to make this work. But the combinations would have to be *just* right. and you'd have to have a program director who was fully on board. Like maybe a neonatologist could get through a medical genetics residency (sorry to the genetics people if I complete underestimated your training). A neurocritical care fellowship for a practicing neurologist or intensivist might work if they let you extend it out to two years. I personally looked into Emergency Medical Services (out of Emergency Medicine) and the funding situation as a non-adult EM provider would have required me to have "another" job. The academic work product required by the ABP makes it harder to do with boarded pediatric subspecialties.

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Yes. If your employer and your program director was on board. I know of someone who did their palliative care fellowship this way (while being a full time attending neonatologist). Took him two years instead of one though.

You can even do two fellowships together, which has happened, but has to be approved by ACGME and both programs. For example, CHOP has a five year PICU fellowship/anesthesiology residency track. There are a few other programs like that. I know of a med/peds person who did a combined adult and peds endocrine fellowship for example.

Of course that personnow had to do medicine board, pediatrics boards, pedi Endo boards AND adult Endo boards. That sounds like my personal version of hell.

Unfortunately, the anesthesiology residency/PICU fellowship track is extinct. As a current anesthesiology resident, it'd be really nice to moonlight a little as a peds hospitalist, but as mentioned above unfortunately most ACGME programs will have restrictions on that, and any that do let you would count as well towards the work hour limits. Makes it pretty tough to do a full time attending gig.