Attending grad program while hoping for an acceptance off the waitlist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VBaller12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal...

I'm on two waitlists at allo schools, but I was recently accepted to an MPH program. I'm excited about the MPH program, but my overall career goal is to become a physician. Therefore, I would jump at the chance go to either med school if I was accepted off the waitlist.

However, the MPH program starts in early August and I was told that the med school waitlists will move until Aug 9 (at least for one school). Is it possible to attend the MPH program, but then withdraw and attend med school if I get excepted off the waitlist? If so, what happens to my financial aid?

Please help me!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So here's the deal...

I'm on two waitlists at pre-allo schools, but I was recently accepted to an MPH program. I'm excited about the MPH program, but my overall career goal is to become a physician. Therefore, I would jump at the chance go to either med school if I was accepted off the waitlist.

However, the MPH program starts in early August and I was told that the med school waitlists will move until Aug 9 (at least for one school). Is it possible to attend the MPH program, but then withdraw and attend med school if I get excepted off the waitlist? If so, what happens to my financial aid?

Please help me!!

Generally, if you start a graduate program, you are expected to complete it. I suppose that means you're going to need to establish a date before the MPH program begins. Though there is always some kid getting accepted and moving accross country the day before classes start, the vast majority of waitlist movement occurs in May/June/early July. That being said, you might write a letter of interest or intent to your top program in an effort to maximize your chances of getting off the WL.

There are always stories of people getting in at the last minute, but they are rare. Most of the times, you can actually call the school near the end of July and say...realistically, what are my chances and many will tell you. By that time, most aid will be given out unfortunately.

Once you start a program, it is your responsibility to complete it, but you don't obviously have an obligation to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you didn't mention the MPH program on AMCAS, I think it should be alright if you dropout early on because the medical school didn't accept you contingent on you having an MPH. Now, it's still an inappropriate thing to do, just not one that will get your acceptance revoked.

Thanks for replying!

@NotAsking4Much
I was told that I have a chance of getting off the waitlist, but from what the school told me it looks like it would be very close to the beginning of classes if it happens. I like the idea of asking again in late July what my chances are. At that point, they should have a very good idea.

@OhioDoc
I have already written letters of interest to both schools. I have been in contact with one school more than the other because I think I have a better shot at that one. That's the school that told me I have a shot at getting off the waitlist.

@Naijaba
I actually applied to the MPH program only about a month ago, so the medical school know nothing about an MPH degree. It's a one year program, which I have not yet started.

Do you guys think it would be possible to defer med school for a year so I could finish the MPH program? Or would the medical school not honor my request for a deferral so late in the season (say, if I get accepted in early August)?

Also, would my federal loans/outside loans transfer from the MPH program to the medical school if I dropped out of the MPH program after starting?

Do you guys think it would be possible to defer med school for a year so I could finish the MPH program? Or would the medical school not honor my request for a deferral so late in the season (say, if I get accepted in early August)?
If accepted off the wait list that close to the start of classes, it's highly unlikely that deferral will be granted. I would go ahead and just attend med school and drop the idea of an MPH (you can come back to it after med school if you would like).

Also, would my federal loans/outside loans transfer from the MPH program to the medical school if I dropped out of the MPH program after starting?
I don't believe this would happen automatically, but I'm not certain. Maybe someone else can weigh in. I remember when filling out the FAFSA you have to specify for which program. You'd probably have to contact them and change the school, program etc. It's probably not hard to do, but it will involve a bunch more paperwork.