Attending NYCPM FALL 06

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nolove

footfetish
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Hello!

Hope everyone is during well. I just have a quick post. Wanted to know if there are any other pod newbys here that might be attending NYCPM in the fall and if so are you in need of a roommate. Or if you are a current student and are looking for a roommate, please let me know.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nolove said:
Hello Hello!

Hope everyone is during well. I just have a quick post. Wanted to know if there are any other pod newbys here that might be attending NYCPM in the fall and if so are you in need of a roommate. Or if you are a current student and are looking for a roommate, please let me know.

Thanks

so you chose NYCPM over Barry? What was the deciding factor?

krabmas said:
so you chose NYCPM over Barry? What was the deciding factor?

I got a much better feel from NYCPM. I liked Barry I think mainly because it was back home for me, but after speaking to several students it just didnt seem like a good fit for me. I appreciated NYCPM much more; the faculty, accsessiblity to the clinics, and overall set up.

Members don't see this ad :)
nolove said:
I got a much better feel from NYCPM. I liked Barry I think mainly because it was back home for me, but after speaking to several students it just didnt seem like a good fit for me. I appreciated NYCPM much more; the faculty, accsessiblity to the clinics, and overall set up.

have you thought about staying on the dorms? it may be a good way to meet a few people that you may want to move in with. as far as i am aware, there isn't really a 6-month term or anything you need to stay at the dorms for. so, once you find someone you want to move in with, you can start looking for a place and move out of Draper.

cgypod said:
have you thought about staying on the dorms? it may be a good way to meet a few people that you may want to move in with. as far as i am aware, there isn't really a 6-month term or anything you need to stay at the dorms for. so, once you find someone you want to move in with, you can start looking for a place and move out of Draper.

that is correct that there is no lease term at Draper. just let them know about a month in advance to get the full refund.

krabmas said:
that is correct that there is no lease term at Draper. just let them know about a month in advance to get the full refund.

Thanks guys, but I actually already tried to go that route which wasnt very easy since the person in charge of housing is not helpful whatsoever and pretty damn rude. I have a dog and none of the housing option allow dogs so im still looking.

nolove said:
Thanks guys, but I actually already tried to go that route which wasnt very easy since the person in charge of housing is not helpful whatsoever and pretty damn rude. I have a dog and none of the housing option allow dogs so im still looking.

I am currently living at Draper. Yea it is not the best thing in the world, but it is cheaper than the apartments so it works out for me. Have you tried www.craigslist.com ? I never used it but some of my friends found it helpful. Good luck.

nolove said:

did you talk to Gladys? yeah she can be rude, but almost everyone else is nice. I tried to ask her about housing when I first came too and she told me the 2 options and I ask for off campus and she just said she could not help.

So here I am at your service (sort of). Craigslist is a great place to start but be ware that most of the companies do the bate and switch trick. they show pics of an apt that is so pretty and the right price but then you call up and tell them your move in date and they show you a bunch of crap.

if you want a place that is about $1000 a month try astoria queens. you can take the train to school or drive if you have a car.

also I live in a building in the south bronx that allows pets. I ride my bike to school (10 minutes door to door). but it is a little pricey with out a roomate.

close to $1500 a month for 700ish square feet.

krabmas said:
did you talk to Gladys? yeah she can be rude, but almost everyone else is nice. I tried to ask her about housing when I first came too and she told me the 2 options and I ask for off campus and she just said she could not help.

So here I am at your service (sort of). Craigslist is a great place to start but be ware that most of the companies do the bate and switch trick. they show pics of an apt that is so pretty and the right price but then you call up and tell them your move in date and they show you a bunch of crap.

if you want a place that is about $1000 a month try astoria queens. you can take the train to school or drive if you have a car.

also I live in a building in the south bronx that allows pets. I ride my bike to school (10 minutes door to door). but it is a little pricey with out a roomate.

That's a NASTY cost-of-living!!! :)

DPMrick said:
I am currently living at Draper. Yea it is not the best thing in the world, but it is cheaper than the apartments so it works out for me. Have you tried www.craigslist.com ? I never used it but some of my friends found it helpful. Good luck.

yeah tried craiglist, have been for about 3 weeks now and nothing yet. everyone I call about a room available never calls me back. but im still searching. thanks for the tim :)

krabmas said:

yeah gladys is definately not a nice person. i couldnt believe that someone who's title includes housing does not offer any assistance for housing outside of the two dorms that the school is affiliated with. and on top of that she or the school have not type of referrel system for new students coming in to contact each other about being roommates. perhaps they dont want that because it takes away funds from their housing options but really really sucks.

your place sounds great but that is def. too steep for me.

quick side note question I have asked anna in the admis. office about getting some type of class scheuule that a first year will be looking at and she said she would pass my email on to a current student to help me with that. well its been about a month and im still waiting.

do you by any chance remember the class schedule? just want to have an idea of class times per day, and the amount of classes per day.

thanks K.

How's it in Glendale/Phoenix AZPOD?

I don't think that these students would know b/c they all attend New York. :D

Dr_Feelgood said:
I don't think that these students would know b/c they all attend New York. :D

get out all you thread crashers.... I know, I know the pot calling the kettle black :D

anyways...

to nolove - the schedule as much as I can remember for 1st year...

8:30am class starts go til noon about 4 classes

break for lunch noon - 1pm

1pm most days you have histology lab or biochem recitation or something else. I think maybe 2 afternoons off a week.

keep the questions coming.

and definitely cheaper housing in AZ or Iowa, but there is no braodway, timesquare or the NY smell :laugh: :love:

IlizaRob said:
Or the murders across the street from campus. :laugh:
across the street, down the street, up the street, stabbings on the train, rapes at bars by the bouncers....

that's NY livin' :thumbup:

krabmas said:
across the street, down the street, up the street, stabbings on the train, rapes at bars by the bouncers....

that's NY livin' :thumbup:

Hmm...sounds very appealing. But I prefer to wait for the children to come out of the corn here in Iowa.

IlizaRob said:
Hmm...sounds very appealing. But I prefer to wait for the children to come out of the corn here in Iowa.

waiting around for the children is no fun. you gotta go out get yourself a slice of pizza and takr whatever comes your way like a champ. i can buy corn at the corner market.

nolove said:
yeah gladys is definately not a nice person. i couldnt believe that someone who's title includes housing does not offer any assistance for housing outside of the two dorms that the school is affiliated with. and on top of that she or the school have not type of referrel system for new students coming in to contact each other about being roommates. perhaps they dont want that because it takes away funds from their housing options but really really sucks.

your place sounds great but that is def. too steep for me.

quick side note question I have asked anna in the admis. office about getting some type of class scheuule that a first year will be looking at and she said she would pass my email on to a current student to help me with that. well its been about a month and im still waiting.

do you by any chance remember the class schedule? just want to have an idea of class times per day, and the amount of classes per day.

thanks K.

For us classes were 8:10am - noon everyday. You have either Monday or Tuesday for the Histology lab. Wednesday is the Biochem recitation.

Catayst said:
How's it in Glendale/Phoenix AZPOD?

I don't know what you are asking here. Could you clarify? This question is a little vague.

Thanks,

AZPOD Rocks

nolove said:
waiting around for the children is no fun. you gotta go out get yourself a slice of pizza and takr whatever comes your way like a champ. i can buy corn at the corner market.

I guess you have never met the children of the corn. They're dirty little buggers...smell like cabbage...small hands.

HI ALL,

I actually start in september (fall 06) @ NYCPM and I had a couple of questions...

The only thing I have received from NYCPM thus far is just the financial aid packet which I have completed for my loans and stuff..

but I had a question: I noticed that we have to provide the school with immunization records and physical exam including TB skin test.. Is that true? how does that work? do I have to wait for the school to send me something? I am just confused will you guys help...

let me know what the process is.. .it is greatly appreciated..

thanks a head of time..