Attending optometry school as a parent??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srm0123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I graduated with my bachelors in Health Ed., and had planned all along to attend optometry school. I took a year off to pay off debt and let my husband finish school. I'm happily pregnant with a baby due in September, but was just wondering how current students or optometrists feel I could do.

I'm still really motivated and think I can still go, would it be too much to handle as a parent of a small child???

I really appreciate some opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible, I know there are numerous students at SCO with babies and small children. There are a lot of things to think about though... especially financially, I think. Who will take care of your child while you're at school? If the other parent is staying at home and not working, you'll have to live off of student loans which can get extremely expensive. If the other parent is working, then you'll probably have to pay for day care unless you have friends or family nearby. If your child is school-age while you're in school, then you have to think about the school systems nearby. I'm willing to bet that most, if not all of the students here with kids live in the suburbs, because the Memphis public school system isn't exactly the best.

My point is, there are people who are able to make it work. Me? I don't think I'd be able to handle it, we're not planning to have kids until after I'm done. But if you think you can handle it, by all means go for it! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my classmates here at SCCO is a single mom, and she seems to be doing pretty well. She also does work study hours on top of that! I'm sure it's doable, but at the same time it also depends on sooo many things i.e. some kids are more independent than others, and how limiting time with your child can affect his/her future, etc. (this list can go on and on)

Thanks for the opinions so far. I think I'm still gonna apply as planned this fall , and see how things pan out. :)