Attending Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smang

Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to Pitt, Maryland, and am waiting on Penn. I was wondering what the current dental students or grads at Pitt think about the program and the city life. Penn just seems too expensive and I feel that Maryland is going to have a lot of bugs to work out with their new building and their paperless scheme for the first couple years. Has anyone seen the layouts of the inside of the new building? I can just find the architect's exterior graphics, I was wondering what the simlabs might look like. Also any thoughts on these schools compared to Pitt.

Members don't see this ad.

smang said:
I have been accepted to Pitt, Maryland, and am waiting on Penn. I was wondering what the current dental students or grads at Pitt think about the program and the city life. Penn just seems too expensive and I feel that Maryland is going to have a lot of bugs to work out with their new building and their paperless scheme for the first couple years. Has anyone seen the layouts of the inside of the new building? I can just find the architect's exterior graphics, I was wondering what the simlabs might look like. Also any thoughts on these schools compared to Pitt.

i was accepted to both pitt and umd (ddi not apply to penn).
im attending umd. the new building is going to be awesome, i mean im sure there will be a few kinks, but by the time you get into the clinical, there will be zero and you will have access to the most modenr facility in the country. also, in my opinion baltimore is a way better place to sepnd your next four years, dont get me wrong, pitt is nice, but baltimore kicks a** compared to it.

also, i became a bit leary of upitt when they highlight their new gym as part of the tour. i mean cmon, im going to make a decision based on a new gym?

just my two cents. both are very good schools.

Pitt is my saftey school until UW rejects me. However, baltimore is now the most dangerous major urban area in the country. I believe they are #1 in homicides. Pittsburgh, by comparison has a low crime rate (about 10% that of Philly).

Members don't see this ad :)
eran76 said:
Pitt is my saftey school until UW rejects me. However, baltimore is now the most dangerous major urban area in the country. I believe they are #1 in homicides. Pittsburgh, by comparison has a low crime rate (about 10% that of Philly).
pitt is definitely safer, but baltimore is not a place to worry about. i know 15 or so people who live down there, mostly friends, etc...and never, never has there been a problem etc...

nyc has higher crime, it is also a lot bigger pop. wise (per capita)...is it unsafe to live in ny? maybe harlem, yeah, but elsewhere, not a problem.

I feel like wherever you go there will be some shady areas and you just have to be smart.

Anyways, Pitt is the closest dental school from my home which is the major plus, but I really haven’t heard anything about the dental school itself. Any current students have some input about their school? I am also thinking of specializing. Maryland’s building is going to be great I just wish it was done so I could actually see the clinics/labs and not take a gamble. They also said the D1s might stay in the old building which doesn’t make much sense if they are getting a brand new simlab or are they. Still indecisive. Does anyone absolutely despise their school or love it?